PDA

View Full Version : Warmachine Tactics contest / Hexeris Skorne

Ragepreacher
01-14-2015, 04:43 PM
I have been reading BOLS for a few years now... never registered before. Guess it took this contest to motivate me to register and make my first post :)

Anyhooo.... here are is my Skorne army, or at least my sealed and completed models. You'll notice my Karax and Swordsmen units are incomplete. That's because i'm not done painting them.
Keep in mind that I have never photographed minis before and so the photos are not really very good. Also they were taken with my phone.

I decided to give all my Skorne a fine black outline. I really feel this helps them pop on the tabletop, and makes the model look bolder, which is what I think is required for the Skorne. THe colour palete used is the standard red, gold, and black. However, I have also incorporated white for the extollers as a bold contrast (them being the only models with white) allowing them to stand out from the rest of the army. I also chose white because the extollers manipulate souls and I felt that white was a good colour to represent this.

In order to add variety I also used some red ink and wash over golden armour. This makes a nice colour gold effect for some armour plating. I also used this method for the armour filigree. There is a good picture of this on the Epic sculpt Gladiator. Which BTW is why I got into warmahordes and Skorne in the first place. I had been peeping now and then at the warmahordes posts on BOLS but when I saw the Epic gladiator model I was like "neeeeeed thaaat!" and put together a Skorne army.

I used several layers of high gloss varnish on the soul gems, and obsidian weapons. The effect did not carryover in the photos very well. The obsidian bits like Hakaars swirds are very very dark purple with several layers of the gloss varnish over it. It gives it a depth effect between the glossy reflection and the actual colour. I added an extra picture of Hakaar with the exposure level set higher, but all that did was make the purple look brighter. Still I added it here so as you can see the purpely bits better.

As for the red armour bits I have a sunburst effect from the black outline to a yellow orange on most pieces. you can see it best on some of the armour on the epic gladiator on account of the larger pieces.

Ragepreacher
01-28-2015, 03:32 PM
missing pics...