PDA

View Full Version : Warmachine Tactics Giveaway - The Golden Horde

Dennis Harrison
01-15-2015, 03:24 PM
My Hordes collection started on fine day at Earth 383 Comics & Games. I had showed up to enjoy the big party they were having to celebrate their 10th Anniversary in 2012. In a little box off to the side I was introduced to some older models they had left in stock and picked up two boxes of farrow brigands and a two unit upgrades at half retail. There was this moment when I realized even if I didn't go all in with this game, I'd have some cool models to mess around with. I've been collecting Games Workshop models since the days of Rogue Trader and Warhammer Armies, so to me having some extra miniatures is never a bad thing. I was aware of the Privateer Press game systems for a long time, but I felt like it had expanded enough to seem interesting even for a die-hard GW fan like me.

Over the next two years I did a little more research and built my force up to fairly balanced level. I like the idea of smaller games and I really enjoy travelling to tournaments to hang out with people. I've made so many friends over the years it is hard to go anywhere without finding a connection. Back to the Warmachine/Hordes game though I've been very happy with my list and my choices of models. Unlike a lot of armies with a boxed set playing Minions and more specifically the Thornfall Alliance, it is fairly quick to learn the game when you have a limited selection of Warlocks, warbeasts, troops, and solos to choose from. One thing the Farrow do very well is work together. I played in a modified Journeyman league where we were allowed to field the alternate lists, so that is where I started building.

The first models I painted were Lord Carver, a War Hog, and a pair of Gun Boars. In the league games we played I quickly became aware of how easy the Thornfall list plays at this point. Protect your caster, get close enough to unleash the War Hog, pop Carver's feat and just enjoy the damage it puts out. The models are really durable when paired with Carver's magic. He isn't a complicated character to run. For me it was a great group to learn how to play the game.

I ended up painting up my infantry units and along with Rorsh and Brine to add a little junior warlock to the mix. I even finished off a few Razor Boars in case I need a few extra points along the way. I like their animus a lot. I plan to stay in the Golden Horde tier list because of the point reduction for the point reduction granted to the Brigands and when you are playing Thornfall getting across the board as fast as possible is really what you want.

On deck right now I have the new solo Maximus already base-coated along with Targ. Both of these solos go so well with this army. One thing about the minion lists, we might not have a lot of choices but the units do exactly what they are supposed to. The only other thing I am going to add while I am waiting on the Meat Thresher is another two War Hogs. I just can't wait to put four heavy warbeasts and two casters on the board in a 25pt game.

I am really looking forward to Warmachine Tactics. I haven't purchased a copy yet. Since I am technically more of a Hordes fan than a Warmachine fan, I considered waiting until they released a lot more content. But the system looks pretty interesting. I am curious to see how the trooper perform in the game.

For the tabletop my next faction will probably be Trollbloods. I have been wanting to do a gunline with the trolls using either Boomhower or Grim Angus. Angus would work probably work better with my minion forces. The one rule I have stuck to with building up my Hordes Minion army is advice I would give to anyone. Paint what you purchased before purchasing more. I have four models to finish before I am heading out to get more miniatures. It really helps to keep things from growing out of control.

I guess for fun I can share this picture. The Hordes models look really cool when they are hanging out with my CSM.

You said impress us.