PDA

View Full Version : 1850 Space Wolves

elrodogg
02-13-2010, 10:44 PM
First dab at the space wolves... thoughts?

Librarian
3 Wolf Guard w/ drop pod (pure ablative wounds and pod for librarian)

10 Grey hunters, 2x meltaguns, mark of wulfen, drop pod
10 Grey hunters, 2x meltaguns, mark of wulfen, rhino

6 Longfangs - 5 missile launchers
6 longfangs - 2 lascannons, 3 heavy bolters

3 Thunderwolf Cav - thunderhammer, meltabombs (for 3 unique models to spread wounds)
3 Thunderwolf Cav - thunderhammer, meltabombs

I wanted a strong selection of scoring choices, lots of fire support and a couple of dedicated close combat units. I would consider making one unit of cav 4 strong to add a lone wolf and upgrade the librarian and wolf-guard to termies.

Unholy_Martyr
02-13-2010, 11:03 PM

Librarian

6 Longfangs - 5 missile launchers
6 long fangs - 2 lascannons, 3 heavy bolters
6 long fangs - 2 lascannons, 3 heavy bolters

3 Thunderwolf Cav - thunderhammer, meltabombs (for 3 unique models to spread wounds)

I wanted a strong selection of scoring choices, lots of fire support and a couple of dedicated close combat units. I would consider making one unit of cav 4 strong to add a lone wolf and upgrade the librarian and wolf-guard to termies.

Alright, so I'm doing this from my phone so bear with me. To be honest your list really seems to be having something of an Identity Crisis so here are some suggestions:

1) Naked Wolf guard are wasted Wolf Guard, especially if you're drop podding in these guys. To be honest, I wouldn't even bother unless you're going to capitalize on their upgrade possibilities. That's 54 points better spent somewhere else.

2) For another drop pod, just assign one to a Long Fangs pack and launch it empty, you still get your turn 1 Alpha Strike.

3) Your Long Fangs: Drop the Lascannons and stick solely with Missile Launchers. They are far more versatile and anything that's AV 14, your Grey Hunters can handle as well as your Thunderwolves.

4) I would look into trying to put the Rune Priest somewhere useful. One designation is with the Long Fangs to allow for additional fire through Living Lightning and other bonuses. Another way of doing things (and this is pretty awesome) is to put him on a bike and have him cast Storm Caller with the Thunderwolves protecting them from instant death and Low AP weapons.

These thoughts are for starters, address these and you should be on your way to a happier Space Puppy Division!

Heimagiblin
02-14-2010, 04:49 AM

Librarian
This unit is the only part of the list that strikes me as being a complete waste.Drop
I would try to stick to either rhino's or drop pods. Both means your dropped units can get stranded, the armies anti-infantry shooting and assault units kill them, and the anti tank kills the rhinos.
Use every missile you can get your hands on,replace lascannons first then the heavy bolters.
Good choices.I wanted a strong selection of scoring choices, lots of fire support and a couple of dedicated close combat units. I would consider making one unit of cav 4 strong to add a lone wolf and upgrade the librarian and wolf-guard to termies.

The list I suggest is:

Rune Priest,chooser of the slain,wolftooth necklace=120

8 grey hunters,meltagun,mark of the wolfen,rhino with extra armour=190(rune priest goes here)
1 wolf guard with power fist and combi-melta assigned to this squad=43

8 grey hunters,meltagun,mark of the wolfen,rhino with extra armour=190

6 Longfangs, 5 missile launchers=140

6 Longfangs, 5 missile launchers=140

3 Thunderwolf Cav - thunderhammer, meltabombs (for 3 unique models to spread wounds)=185
=
3 Thunderwolf Cav - thunderhammer, meltabombs (for 3 unique models to spread wounds)=185

5 wolf scouts,melta bombs, melta-gun,motw=110

or drop the other 2 units of long fangs down to 5 and add
6 longfangs, 5 missile launchers=140

5 grey hunters,plasma-gun=60(sitting on your home objective.)

elrodogg
02-14-2010, 09:18 AM
So a couple of questions from the experts....

1- The wolf-guard do not count towards getting 10 strong grey-hunters that way they can get the dual special weapons, correct?
2- All rhinos? No drop pods?
3- Can a character be assigned to another unit's drop pod?
4- I've always loved lascannons since I started in 3rd ed... is the mixed heavy bolter/lascannon really inferior to the missile launcher squad?

Thanks!

Heimagiblin
02-14-2010, 04:32 PM
So a couple of questions from the experts....

1- The wolf-guard do not count towards getting 10 strong grey-hunters that way they can get the dual special weapons, correct?-yes, but you can give them a combi-weapon and you get a 2 attack basic power fist, Worth it imo.2- All rhinos? No drop pods? -yea I think this is the most competative loadout, second is all drop pods.
3- Can a character be assigned to another unit's drop pod?-yes he can4- I've always loved lascannons since I started in 3rd ed... is the mixed heavy bolter/lascannon really inferior to the missile launcher squad? -missile squads are much cheaper.They give better bang fo your buck

Thanks!

These are only my opinons, others might disagree but if they do they are wrong.:cool:

Mobious
02-14-2010, 05:31 PM
Everyone's advice has been solid, but I would also suggest trying to work in a Storm Shield on your Thunder Hammer Cav. It really helps against the beater units that you will be facing.

Heimagiblin
02-15-2010, 09:47 AM
I have to disagree with the storm shield.The thunderwolfs should either be behind a rhino or in assault. If they are charging anything with a str 10 ignoring armour saves attacks you have done something wrong and power weapons wound on 5's leaving only monsterours creatures and power fists. Now that wev'e established it shouldn't be an instant death thing you realise just spending an extra 20 points and adding another wolf is far more benificial.

Unholy_Martyr
02-15-2010, 11:54 PM
All Rhinos is inviting disaster in my book. Sure you get more mobility, but you also expose yourself with the lightest armored APC in the game, I prefer hybrids between Drop Pods and Razrobacks. Razrobacks bring in extra fire power and if you get the right synergy going you can Alpha Strike/ Own objectives first turn.