PDA

View Full Version : WW1 with Bloody Picnic rule set.

Stephen Avaient
01-19-2015, 05:04 AM
Hi All,
Have really just started playing again after finding a local club that meets once a month. Well, as it turns out most are ardent Napoleonic players with no room to manoeuvre, although there is a small group interested in playing anything else. So to the crux of my question. I have numerous rules for the WW1 but have decided to go with Bloody Picnic for a group game and would like to , need to, discuss the rules. I have been organising a 5x6 table for a solo game in my garage to get the feel and have found a number of 'issues' that need to be clarified. Happy to discuss any of the other rules too. I am also looking for any scenarios that deal with the Gallipoli landings.
Cheers
Steve

Stephen Avaient
01-20-2015, 12:37 AM
I have a copy of the scenerio 'Yellow Cloud north of Ypers' from 'The Great Adventure', http://www.wargaming.org.nz/, website by Robin Sutton. I am attempting to use this with the Bloody Picnic rules and so far its all good but for a few small issues.
1. Are all the 'Units available for attachment' actually available or do you use a point system to a limit?
2. The British arty is listed as Regt's not Bde's with only 2 stands each. My intention is to call them Bde and use 3 stands each to represent the 3 Bty's.
3. Finally, are the arty units limited to only 5 fire missions each?
Thanks
Steve

Stephen Avaient
01-21-2015, 02:25 PM
Has anyone played the scenerio 'Yellow Cloud north of Ypers' from the guys at http://www.wargaming.org.nz/ using the GWSH rule set ?
1. Are all units available for attachment actually available or is there a point system. I don't yet have the GWSH rule set.
2. The British & German OOB mentions Regt of Div and Corps Arty. I will assume that this should read Battalions with three Bty's each of six guns requiring three stands not two ?
3. All Arty have a five mission expenditure record. Does his mean that they only have five mission because the GWSH game only has five turns?
Cheers

rsutton
05-10-2015, 02:41 AM
Has anyone played the scenerio 'Yellow Cloud north of Ypers' from the guys at http://www.wargaming.org.nz/ using the GWSH rule set ?
1. Are all units available for attachment actually available or is there a point system. I don't yet have the GWSH rule set.
2. The British & German OOB mentions Regt of Div and Corps Arty. I will assume that this should read Battalions with three Bty's each of six guns requiring three stands not two ?
3. All Arty have a five mission expenditure record. Does his mean that they only have five mission because the GWSH game only has five turns?
Cheers

Hi.. Only just spotted this discussion.

I wrote the scenario, and it's an absolutely fictional engagement intended to represent some of the issues of the battles.These are in fact artillery regiments, and the limits of 5 rounds of fire per artillery regt represent in part the shell shortages, as well as being a scenario balancing mechanism for the scenario since there is only one division per side (IIRC).

All of the units in the OOB are available.

The scenario was written for GWSH, and plays very well in term of game balance.
Not sure if any of this helps, but ...