PDA

View Full Version : Chapterhousestudiosreleases variant genestealer heads - Ymgarl

chapterhousestudios
02-14-2010, 09:34 AM
Hi guys,

First off looking forward to seeing everyone at BOLSCON 2010!

We (chapterhousestudios.com) have announced the release of some awesome head bits that look perfect for Ymgarl Genestealers.

http://chapterhousestudios.com/webshop/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/28mm_Xenomorph_H_4b7e146a4a187.jpg

We started working on the concept for these pieces last year, they can also be used as Cthuhlu heads. They are done in time for ‘Nid players to add some variety to their bug models. These were sculpted to customize 28mm models, and look great on genestealers.

If you want to check these out they are located at our main website, here (http://chapterhousestudios.com/webshop/component/virtuemart/?page=shop.product_details&category_id=34&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=70).

Coming up next are some conversion kits for Farseer and Warlock Jetbike seer councils and Tyranid conversion bits for boneswords and lashwhips.

http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/at/2010/1/29/b8c3a5735abe69c57afad526f04ee67a_10273.jpg__thumb

[email protected]

david5th
02-14-2010, 10:29 AM
Where have you been all my ( hobby ) life.:)

Aldramelech
02-14-2010, 10:34 AM
Goodbye

bad moon on afull moon
02-14-2010, 11:04 AM
according to my local GW manager, the lawer army is waiting for the perfect moment to strike. dont know when thatll be though so good luck if they catch you

chapterhousestudios
02-14-2010, 11:30 AM
There is no law against making components that fit on someone elses products. All of the pieces you see, we developed the sculpts and concept art ourselves, the only thing that we share with GW models are the basic geometrics (shoulder pad dimensions, not design etc).

Even using the same names as a "descriptor" is legal, I cant go out and make a model and call that model a Genestealer, but I can make a component and say "compatible" with genestealer.

I would be interested in what the retail GW manager knows, does he know GW legal? I am doubtful that a low retail manager has much inside info, considering that most know less about "rumours" then anyone who reads a board does.

I am sorry, I am not coming down on you, I just hear stuff like this all the time, a lot of it is due to GWs indoctrining of the GW hobbyist, they would lead everyone to believe they own everything and have absolute authority, in realty they dont.

I think we are finally starting to see a richer bit and conversion market due to my company and 2-3 others that are finally toeing that line.

Lerra
02-14-2010, 11:53 AM
It's legal, like chaperhouse says. Just look at all of the 3rd party iPod covers, 3rd party video game controllers and memory card, etc. The issue they might have trouble with is intellectual property rights (note: I am not an expert here by any means ;))

Duke
02-14-2010, 12:01 PM
I hope there isn't a loophole the can use to put your back to the wall causetjose are great looking minis! I mag wantto pick some farseer stuff up when I get back into eldar.

Commissar Lewis
02-14-2010, 12:03 PM
Excellent looking sculpts, sir. If you guys make some IG greatcoats I'd buy a lot of em.

chapterhousestudios
02-14-2010, 12:25 PM
We are slowly getting more sculptors on board who have areas of expertise. We really dont have an IG or human sculptor or an ork sculptor.

Hopefully in the near future we can attract someone talented in that area and bring them on.

chapterhousestudios
02-14-2010, 12:28 PM
It's legal, like chaperhouse says. Just look at all of the 3rd party iPod covers, 3rd party video game controllers and memory card, etc. The issue they might have trouble with is intellectual property rights (note: I am not an expert here by any means ;))

Well we try our best not to take IP.

I cant tell you how many request for some obscure chapter icon from one of GWs published books. I have to say no, unless there is a way to make the icon different enough, or its a public domain icon (like a saw blade).

The genestealer heads above look uncannily like GWs Ymargl heads, but there are differences. Plus I have dated artwork showing we were working on these 4-5 months before the new codex was even published. We had no idea that GW would "steal" our concepts :P.

Nick

BDub
02-14-2010, 12:45 PM
There is no law against making components that fit on someone elses products. All of the pieces you see, we developed the sculpts and concept art ourselves, the only thing that we share with GW models are the basic geometrics (shoulder pad dimensions, not design etc).

Even using the same names as a "descriptor" is legal, I cant go out and make a model and call that model a Genestealer, but I can make a component and say "compatible" with genestealer.

I would be interested in what the retail GW manager knows, does he know GW legal? I am doubtful that a low retail manager has much inside info, considering that most know less about "rumours" then anyone who reads a board does.

I am sorry, I am not coming down on you, I just hear stuff like this all the time, a lot of it is due to GWs indoctrining of the GW hobbyist, they would lead everyone to believe they own everything and have absolute authority, in realty they dont.

I think we are finally starting to see a richer bit and conversion market due to my company and 2-3 others that are finally toeing that line.

AMEN! Good for you guys, go go go.

Melissia
02-14-2010, 01:18 PM
Maybe we can get you to make some feminine Sisters heads. GW isn't good at making feminine heads and faces, and there's like only one hairstyle :P

chapterhousestudios
02-14-2010, 02:53 PM
I have some, but alot of people didnt like them so they arent on the site. They are in resin, they arent meant for sisters really, but guard female heads.http://chapterhousestudios.com/webshop/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/Human_Heads___Fe_4b706d156a274.jpg

Asymmetrical Xeno
02-14-2010, 03:04 PM
What about doing some of the minor xeno races..Hrud, Umbra, Thyrrus ? ...or parts for necrons (c'tan specific stuff would be killer).

Melissia
02-14-2010, 03:22 PM
Well, they're better than GW's heads at least. It's hard to make good looking feminine heads at this scale.

chapterhousestudios
02-14-2010, 03:22 PM
Well here is the thing... it is hard to do a whole model based on GW concept art, legally. Thats why you see alot of additional detailing to all of our shoulder pads. There is so much detail added, to say a mailed fist, we make a totally new art piece (and get ourselves the copyright on that).

If we were to do a Hrud, or Thyrrus, I have the GW artwork for them, and that is what people would want to buy. I would be in a big legal blackhole at that point.

Its a bit of a catch-21.

chapterhousestudios
02-14-2010, 03:24 PM
Well, they're better than GW's heads at least. It's hard to make good looking feminine heads at this scale.

If you or anyone else wants to get some, email me and it can be arranged, I had to many complaints about sub-par sculpts regarding the heads, I had to take them off the website :(

Melissia
02-14-2010, 03:27 PM
There was a thread based off of that question some time ago. I might be arsed to do a quick search later, but I'm kinda feeling apathetic and jocular right now.

Duke
02-14-2010, 03:34 PM
What about pieces for a "True scale Marine." I.E. a head that is for true scale, or a body, or even legs? If I had to pic one the torso would be an excellent bit to have if it was truescale.

Duke

Asymmetrical Xeno
02-14-2010, 04:01 PM
Well here is the thing... it is hard to do a whole model based on GW concept art, legally. Thats why you see alot of additional detailing to all of our shoulder pads. There is so much detail added, to say a mailed fist, we make a totally new art piece (and get ourselves the copyright on that).

If we were to do a Hrud, or Thyrrus, I have the GW artwork for them, and that is what people would want to buy. I would be in a big legal blackhole at that point.

Its a bit of a catch-21.

I see.. I guess the Thyrrus was a bad example as it has a very specific look to it (the weaponry, especially), but id of thought Umbra and Hrud could be done in a more generic way (i.e. shadow orbs with shadow limbs) or generic bug-eyed swamp creatures for Hrud ? or is even that sort of thing too risky ?

Either way, I greatly appreciate the reply! :)

EDIT : that salamanders helmet is amazing btw! these really are the sort of bitz GW should produce themselves, so more power to you!

chapterhousestudios
02-14-2010, 04:03 PM
I see.. I guess the Thyrrus was a bad example as it has a very specific look to it (the weaponry, especially), but id of thought Umbra and Hrud could be done in a more generic way (i.e. shadow orbs with shadow limbs) or generic bug-eyed swamp creatures for Hrud ? or is even that sort of thing too risky ?

Either way, I greatly appreciate the reply! :)

Well know that you mention it, I would think that an orb with limbs coming out of it would not be copyrightable :)

Hrud either if we take artistic licence and worked on it.

Now the main question is, as a business (I cringe, but yeah we have to have income to make more things) will those items sell and make a profit vs the money and time put in to make them?

BuFFo
02-14-2010, 04:41 PM

This has to be the single, most intelligent comment I have ever read concerning the modern GW customer and their crippling fear/ignorance of the hobby as a whole.

Bravo!

Beautiful heads by the way. You are a credit to the hobby!

chapterhousestudios
02-14-2010, 07:30 PM
Thank you, it really sucks as I was playing GW games in the early 90s and none of the attitude that is prevalent now was around back then. They were trully a hobbyist company.

Its so frustrating, someone started a thread talking about Chapterhouse releases on warseer.com and it was deleted by the management even though tons of people liked the ideas and bits :(/

BuFFo
02-14-2010, 09:32 PM
Thank you, it really sucks as I was playing GW games in the early 90s and none of the attitude that is prevalent now was around back then. They were trully a hobbyist company.

Its so frustrating, someone started a thread talking about Chapterhouse releases on warseer.com and it was deleted by the management even though tons of people liked the ideas and bits :(/

Which is funny because that P.O.S. website has it's own group of independent modelers who use the rumor section as an advertising flotilla all the time. Stay clear of that biased sewage.

I agree with you.... Except for a few local guys in my area and the cool dudes that run BoLs, there is a loss of connection to gamers. Most hobbyists I see online can barely be called a 'hobbyist' anyway, and without even noticing it, are just 'customers'. This is why BoLs is the only 40k site I frequent. Yeah, the forum here has some left over rejects from other mainstream sites, but they are easy to ignore.

Best fo luck with your cool heads lol :)

Madness
02-15-2010, 03:16 AM
Btw, the hrud illustration in xenology is a reconstruction, not their actual shape, the skaven in space theory is not totally debunked yet.

Commissar Lewis
02-15-2010, 07:15 AM
Well, chapterhousestudios guy, if you ever get some decent human model/IG modelers on staff and make some good trenchcoat/ female head bits you will have my patronage.

I need me a good female head for my planned Harker counts-as - Jeanette Vasquez.

Madness
02-15-2010, 07:50 AM
UH UH, my firefly nerve struck, how about a browncoat IG army?

BDub
02-15-2010, 10:15 PM
Maybe we can get you to make some feminine Sisters heads. GW isn't good at making feminine heads and faces, and there's like only one hairstyle :P

good idea.

BDub
02-15-2010, 10:16 PM
So these are great and all but now I have an uncontrollable urge to go play Oddworld.

RogueGarou
02-16-2010, 12:03 AM
UH UH, my firefly nerve struck, how about a browncoat IG army?

Could have some interesting looking lasguns there.

I recall a Capt Mal model was released last year, I think it was from Hasslefree. I also seem to recall a model called "Jaine" or some other spelling that looked surprisingly similar to a character from Firefly/Serenity. I'm not sure if it was a green or an actual release, though.

Lerra
02-16-2010, 08:54 AM
I would definitely buy female heads for sisters or space marines. I'm also looking for infantry-sized angelic/bird-like wings. There are lots of demonic wings at that scale, and lots of bird-like wings for larger models, but I've been searching for months for infantry sized angelic wings and there are nowhere to be found.

Dark_Templar
02-16-2010, 04:35 PM
I have some, but alot of people didnt like them so they arent on the site. They are in resin, they arent meant for sisters really, but guard female heads.http://chapterhousestudios.com/webshop/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/Human_Heads___Fe_4b706d156a274.jpg

I actually quite like those, and agree that they are better than GW females by a mile.

This has to be the single, most intelligent comment I have ever read concerning the modern GW customer and their crippling fear/ignorance of the hobby as a whole.

Bravo!

Beautiful heads by the way. You are a credit to the hobby!

Agreed. It is nice to see somebody with a brain stand up and say "actually no, GW do not own the rights to everything, everywhere....ever".

Anywho if you started shipping to Austr....dammit, now I have no excuse. I have to spend so much money on your models it isn't funny.

Places like ChapterHouse are what keep this hobby strong, especially when you fill in gaps that GW has no intention of filling themselves. They tease you with concept models or artwork, they give you options in a Codex, but in the end have no real intention of giving you the models or the tools to make them yourself (a strip of greenstuff doesn't count).

If you want an Aussie distributor, let me know :D

DT.

Asymmetrical Xeno
02-16-2010, 06:17 PM
Well know that you mention it, I would think that an orb with limbs coming out of it would not be copyrightable :)

Hrud either if we take artistic licence and worked on it.

Now the main question is, as a business (I cringe, but yeah we have to have income to make more things) will those items sell and make a profit vs the money and time put in to make them?

I know im not the only one that's interested in those factions, I know for sure id buy enough umbra for example for an entire 1500point army, so lets say about 50-60 models. There are many "minor race" fans out there too..enough to make profit ? I dont know, but nobody seems to be able to take the risk and try things like that out, so nothing ever seems to happen.

Vepr
02-16-2010, 06:40 PM
Bravo Chapterhouse. I am eagerly awaiting your rendition of genetic alien arm pieces made from a dense material like chitin or bone that resembles bone swords. ;) I will have an order in right away on those. I am also looking forward to seeing what the mycetic spores and other bits look like.

Dark_Templar
02-16-2010, 07:09 PM
I know im not the only one that's interested in those factions, I know for sure id buy enough umbra for example for an entire 1500point army, so lets say about 50-60 models. There are many "minor race" fans out there too..enough to make profit ? I dont know, but nobody seems to be able to take the risk and try things like that out, so nothing ever seems to happen.

I would definitely purchase a small force of Hrud and/or Umbra if they became available. Would not buy to game with, simply for the hobby purposes.

Commissar Lewis
02-16-2010, 08:13 PM
Hell, conversion bits for female Guard troopers would make me drop a ton of cash. The ration in my regiment is terrible; only got one female trooper. She's part of Iron Hand's squad so no issues arise. :D

But yeah, those and maybe some generic plasma gun/melta look-alike-but-still-different would be nice. Hell melta barrels would be awesome as one can make a damn good looking melta w/ a bolter, a fuel tank from a catachan flamer and a melta barrel.

Dark_Templar
02-16-2010, 08:48 PM
The ration in my regiment is terrible; only got one female trooper. She's part of Iron Hand's squad so no issues arise. :D

I would have thought Iron Hands would make things more uncomfortable?:eek:

Sister Rosette Soulknyt
02-16-2010, 08:55 PM
Hey everyone i have to say as a buyer of Chapterhouse's products i highly recommend. They are fantastic in everythning these people make.
To date i have bought for my growing Salamanders army:
30 left shoulder pads with a dragon motif on it with scales
17 left shoulder pads with uprasied salamander symbol
3 scaled power fists
8 dragon headede thunder hammers
8 dragon scalled storm shields
a Chaplain/Chapter master miniature..he looks awesome when painted.
Landraider scales and parts
Rhino scaled parts
Scaled drop pod doors
8 scaled helmets

all in all these make a Salamander army look even more fantastic, and i recommend you try them out, for there prices you wont find better anywhere.
The female heads are next on the shopping list for my SoB, but Chapterhouse if you find time to make Sister of Battle helmets/Sister Knights lol then i would buy a bucket full from you.

Or a resin Salamnder/Dragon dreadnought
Oh and i live in Australia so i now he ships here.

Dark_Templar
02-16-2010, 09:10 PM
Oh and i live in Australia so i now he ships here.

Oh, you live in Frankston...I am surprised your postie doesn't get stabbed before delivering your parcels. :p

Seriously though, good to see another Victorian on here (ex-SE Suburbs myself).

On a side note, I think those Salamander bits are exactly what I need to get my army started when my Crimson Fists are done.

Sister Rosette Soulknyt
02-16-2010, 10:40 PM
Stabbed are you kidding this isnt Dandenong you know.....Frankston's reputation is so overrated. Oh and i live in the "Pines" if that any better :P
I've ner had any problem living in Frankston all my years. Dandenong well that's another saga altogether.

I highly recommend Chapterhouse parts, my Salamanders look great with them.
I used the Chaplain resin model to actually make a Chapter master instead with th/ss and looks awesome, combined with converted Honour Gaurd riding around in a Landraider Redeemer with the Dragon/Salamnder conversion parts makes them just a eye catcher to use.

Ive had many remarks how cool they look.
Hmm maybe i can borrow a camera and post a pic of the squad....

Dark_Templar
02-16-2010, 10:55 PM
Stabbed are you kidding this isnt Dandenong you know.....Frankston's reputation is so overrated. Oh and i live in the "Pines" if that any better :P
I've ner had any problem living in Frankston all my years. Dandenong well that's another saga altogether.

Ive had many remarks how cool they look.
Hmm maybe i can borrow a camera and post a pic of the squad....

Frankston was pretty clean for a few years, but IMO has started going backwards again, especially when you see it on the front page of the paper where they feel they need a private police force, with crime rates up 10-20% etc. But you are correct, Dandenong makes Frankston look like Toorak.

Pics of the squad would be awesome, cannot wait to see them.

Commissar Lewis
02-16-2010, 11:55 PM
I would have thought Iron Hands would make things more uncomfortable?:eek:

Possibly, but Straken only has the one bionic arm.

Dark_Templar
02-17-2010, 12:03 AM
Possibly, but Straken only has the one bionic arm.

I am going to stop commenting on this, simply because further posts will result in me getting banned due to poor humour.

chapterhousestudios
02-17-2010, 01:22 AM
Thanks guys :)

We try to do our best for the hobby and still make a little gaming money on the side. I wish more forums were like this one. We were on warseer.com for an hour sunday (someone posted about the Ymargl heads) and I got many orders, probably from people who never heard of us.

Then the Admins deleted the thread!

But yeah, we do ship all over the world, and I am always working with retailers and distributors FYI.

We will be a sponsor at BOLSCON 2010, Ill be playing (Nids or salamanders) but I will be offering some nice price support to the tourneys.

I hope to see many of you there.

And yes those heads are for sale, just PM me if you want some. They arent on the site.

Faultie
02-17-2010, 07:42 AM
We will be a sponsor at BOLSCON 2010, Ill be playing (Nids or salamanders) but I will be offering some nice price support to the tourneys.
Hope to meet you there (though I don't play 'nids or SM, so I can't buy much from your nifty range of coolness).

chapterhousestudios
02-17-2010, 08:30 AM
Well we have some elday pieces coming out in a month also (seer council bike kit, female farseer figure and our version of the Wraithguard).

Dark_Templar
02-17-2010, 04:03 PM
Well we have some elday pieces coming out in a month also (seer council bike kit, female farseer figure and our version of the Wraithguard).

Wow, between this and the current rumours it looks like 2010 could be a good year to start Eldar.

Commissar Lewis
02-17-2010, 04:41 PM
I am going to stop commenting on this, simply because further posts will result in me getting banned due to poor humour.

Well then send me the poor humor in PM form - I'm always down for a good off-color joke! Haha, hell I make my fair share of them!

Fellend
02-19-2010, 05:55 PM
Wow, Just saw this for the first time. I'd really like to have some of those Black Templar shoulder pads. Generally anything with chains on it. Think the DOW2 look matches Black Templar so well =)

Sister Rosette Soulknyt
02-22-2010, 07:47 AM
ChapterHouse, firstly i have to say your sculptors are great, that being said i think with your work you put a said company to shame in a willingness to bring out so fine a items and variations to allow personal diffences to our hobby.
With your sculptors and ignorig all this crap about Legalities is just what you need to do, so everyone who wants to jump on this and harrass ChapterHouse please study your Laws before you do. Its not illegal in what there doing, there not copying said companies products but offering alternatives of there own range.
If you have a problem with this, simple, dont respond and more importantly just dont buy there products.
I dont speak for ChapterHouse but i dont think they would want your business if your going to winge, and live in fear of a certain company and buy into all the fear of that company and everything they say as Gospel.
So stop sending them emails telling them said company is going to "Sue there *** off" and leave them alone, im sure they know exactly what there doing is ok.

So thank you Chapterhouse for you products, im a happy buyer and im looking to see whats next from your great designs.

chapterhousestudios
02-22-2010, 08:49 AM
One Word,

LemmingStampede
02-22-2010, 01:21 PM
Love the work. Any chance of Iron Hand shoulder pads showing up? I loathe the idea of having to hunt down the old IH box set just to expand the army.

chapterhousestudios
02-22-2010, 03:26 PM
Works already starting on some mailed fist and cog pads now.

LemmingStampede
02-22-2010, 05:33 PM
You sir are my freakin hero. :D

Loken
02-22-2010, 06:06 PM
I spoke with onew of the Chapterhouse guys last year and was impressed by his passion. As an attorney, I told him, if he was smart, he wouldn't come afoul of any IP laws, but that doesn't mean the heavy hand of GW won't come down. GW doesn't like others making money off of their IP, even legally.

The case has been well made in this thread that aftermarket parts do not violate a company's IP. GW needs to wise up and embrace talented entrepreneurs like Chapterhouse, Army Transport, or Battlefoam, rather than feeling they are competitive. In the end these companies grow the pie that is our hobby and as teh saying goes, "A rising tide raises all boats".

Chapterhouse makes our hobby richer and more enjoyable and I applaud them.

Alec

kriswithak
02-22-2010, 08:32 PM
Can't wait to see the Seer council choices, really looking forward to their release!

dakota
02-24-2010, 04:47 AM
Wow what an amazing site - sir you are a credit to the hobby. loverly stuff and well done for actually reading copyright law and not going on inuendo and a half remembered ally mcbeal episode for your opinion.

let me also join in the calls for female heads for IG and eldar, and add that some female torsos in "jungle/nam" fatigues or an armoured tunic would also be something i'd buy. Similarly a front torso panel that might let you say convert a space elf to a female space elf would again be useful.

GW has utterly failed to support their eldar lines for years and if you can make options for the bits they're too lazy to even do concept art for then good for you.

LemmingStampede
03-08-2010, 04:20 PM
*sniff* Those IH pads and shields are gorgeous. I'm so happy.... Also going to broke as all hell I'm sure, but happy! :D

Any idea when they'll be available for purchase? I have a lot of projects on hold due to lack of shoulder pads.

LemmingStampede
03-08-2010, 04:38 PM
Mental note: save up close to $100 in 2-3 weeks for shoulder pads

HsojVvad
03-09-2010, 03:13 PM

I look at the pics and they are beautiful. My question, is if you are not scared of GW why did you blur the mini? By blurring the mini that is telling me you are afraid of them because you are using a GW IP product for your advertising.

Also, this just screams Alien movie to me. How are you getting away from using their IP? Is it because they don't know so they can't prosocute?

Anyways, great job in doing them and I wish you all the best.