PDA

View Full Version : Waaagh of the Worlds Battle Report: Tyranids vs Iron Warriors

mercer
02-15-2010, 07:35 AM
So I'm running this little campaign ATM for all the armies I own. This is the first battle and here is a link to the campaign page on my blog if you want to look: http://www.imperiusdominatus.com/2010/02/campaign-waaagh-of-worlds-part-1.html

Game was for 2,000 points and takes place on the Iron Warriors hidden base on Aegis Moon.

Special Rules: Iron Warriors have defence turrets which use the same rule as Planetstrike turrets, these can be used in game and count as kill points.

Game: Pitched battle & annilation.

Tyranids "Hive Fleet Krakken"

HQ

Hive Tyrant leech essence, paraoxysm, 2 x twin-linked devourers, hive commander & adrenal glands

1 x Tyrant Guard

Hive Tyrant leech essence, paroxysm, 1 x twin-linked devourers, bonesword & lash whip, hive commander, old adversary, adrenal glands, acid blood & wings

Elite

2 x Zoanthrope w/ Mycetic Spore

2 x Zoanthrope w/ Mycetic Spore

Troops

15 x Termagants

15 x Termagants

1 x Tervigon adrenal glands, cluster spines & catalyst

1 x Tervigon adrenal glands, cluster spines & catalyst

Fast Attack

16 x Gargoyles adrenal glands & toxin sacs

Heavy Support

1 x Trygon adrenal glands

1 x Trygon adrenal glands

Iron Warriors "Siegebreakers"

HQ

1 x Daemon Prince wings, mark of nurgle & warptime

1 x Daemon Prince wings, mark of nurgle & warptime

Elite

5 x Chaos Terminators mark of tzeentch, chainfist, 3 x combi weapons & 1 x heavy flamer

5 x Chaos Terminators mark of tzeentch, chainfist, 2 x combi weapons & 1 x heavy flamer

Troops

10 x Chaos Marines w/ Rhino icon of chaos glory & 2 x meltaguns - champion w/ power fist

10 x Chaos Marines w/ Rhino icon of chaos glory & 2 x meltaguns

10 x Chaos Marines w/ Rhino icon of chaos glory & 2 x plasma guns

Heavy Support

2 x Obliterators
2 x Obliterators

3 x Obliterators

Turn 1

Iron warriors rolled to go first, but tyranids steal initiative and go first instead!

Both tervigons in ruins getting 50% cover spawn 8 termagants each, one burns itself out though. Catalyst is cast on gant units one which just spawned by burnt out tervigon other gant unit which was already deployed.

Both tervigons hold position, flyrants moves out with gargoyle shield, foot tyrant moves into terrain with gant shield. Feel no pain gants run, while spawned feel no pain gants stay with tervigon.

Winged tyrant wrecks a autocannon turret and scores 1st kill point for tyranids.

Chaos rhinos move out, one melta unit heads towards gants which ran other 2 rhinos with demon prince support heads towards both tyrants. Obliterators on foot move 3" for slow and purposeful.

Obliterators on foot fire plasma cannons and kill 4 gants. Lascannon turrets score no wounds on tervigon. Obliterators in terrain fire lascannons and score 1 wound on same tervigon. Autocannon turrets fire at both tyrants but score no wounds. Other obliterators in terrain fire plasma cannons and kill 3 gargoyles and wound the flyrant.

So far Tyranids are winning with 1 kill point.

Turn 2

Both trygons come in ok only one scatters and goes towards tyranid deployment zone. Zoanthropes in pod scatters and lands on a chaos rhino rolls a 6 on mishap table and put back into reserves. Tervigon spawns 8 gants and casts feel no pain on them, other tervigon casts feel no pain on gant unit which had it previously.

All tyranids except tervigons and trygons move towards iron warriors.

Both tyrants cast paroxysm on each d.p. Gants in terrain score a wound on obliterators on foot. Foot tyrant pops rhino and takes a wound from explosion as well as killing a gant and 5 chaos marines! Supporting gants mop up and leave only 2 marines standing which pass morale ok.

Gants charge chaos marines kill 2 and but lose 3 themselves. Stay in combat and gant passes armour save for no retreat.

Both chaos terminator units arrive from reserve. Iron warriors move to engage tyranid units.

Lascannon turrets chip away another wound at tervigon. Obliterators on foot bbq 5 gants in cover after feel no pain rolls. Obliterators in ruin score 2 wounds on trygon in tyranid deployment zone with lascannon fire. Melta marines bail out rhino and unleash rapid fire at gants. Terminators and plasma marines and both autocannon turrets fire at other trygon leave it with 1 wound. Flyrant gets gunned down with rapid plasmafire from other chaos terminators which deep striked in behind it.

In assault daemon prince and single melta marine kill the entire unit gants which were locked in combat. Daemon Prince charges foot tyrant and scores 2 wounds and takes a wound itself.

Kill points total is 2 to Iron Warriors and 1 to Tyranids.

Turn 3

Tervigon spawns 11 gants and casts feel no pain on 2 others. All tyranids except tervigons move forwards.

In shooting melta chaos marine squad is left with 2 men standing after warp blast attack from deep striking zoanthropes and fleshborer attack from incoming termagants. Daemon prince takes a wound from warp lance attacks for other deep striking zoanthropes which deep strike into terrain, myceptic spore takes no wounds from dangerous terrain nor do the zoanthropes.

Tyranids rack up the kill points giving them 5 in total after killing the melta marines by sweeping advance, and trygon popping plasma marines rhino, gargoyles kill last melta marine wiping out the squad and hive tyrant takes a wound from the daemon prince and gives one back but the guard deals a rending death blow. 2 gant units assault foot oblits score no wounds and receive 1 themselves.

Obliterators move out terrain to shoot and assault trygon. Both terminator squads target both zoanthrope units. Last daemon prince moves towards gant unit. Last chaos marine unit moves towards gargoyles and other obliterators hold in ruin.

In shooting obliterators wound trygon but don't kill it. Both terminator units score no kills on either zoanthrope units. Autocannon turret kills other trygon giving the chaos marines 3 kill points. Last unit of iron warriors kill 5 gargoyles and force a leadership test, gargoyles fail and fall back 12".

Obliterators fail to kill trygon in assault, it butchers them and kills 2 of them. Chaos terminators kill 1 unit of zoanthropes but fail to kill other unit. Prince slaughters some gants but doesn't kill enough. Obliterators already in combat with gants just draw.

Total kill points is 5 Tyranids and 3 Iron Warriors.

Turn 4

Terevigon spawns 11 gants and casts dominion, which affects gants further away so they don't revert to basic instincts. Gargoyles become back in synapse range and auto rally.

Nothing major happens in shooting turn.

In assault last oblit on foot is killed by mass termagant assault. Both lascannon turrets are destroyed, by multiple assault from a unit of termagants, trygon kills last oblit. One zoanthrope is killed and daemon prince wipes out gants but takes a wound from the tyrant.

Total is 9 tyranids and 4 iron warriors.

In iron warrior shooting turn trygon takes a wound. In assault chaos terminators kill trygon, myceptic spore and last zoanthrope. Daemon prince scores wound on tyrant but not enough to kill it. All gargoyless are killed when charged by last unit of chaos space marines.

End game tyranids win with 9 points chaos marines 7 points - Tyranids win!

Summary

I'm finding Tyranids easier and easier to play with, though still got to remember some special rules and abilities. Shame those Hive Tyrants do not last long, but I guess leech essence should be used more affectively. List itself works and I don't think I'll be changing, at least not yet anyway.

Iron Warriors performed well and mass Obliterator spam is nasty, very effective for a list using plenty of monstrous creatures and will work for armour lists too.

Campaign

A large figure in a dull metal coloured power armour strolls through the smoke. On the armour's black shoulder guards is a jagged eight pointed star on the left and on the right a symbol of a grinning metal skull, symbol of the Iron Warriors. The figure raises a buzzing chain sword, a massive weapon which can cut a man in half easily and roars a battle cry " Iron Within" which is replied with a roar of voices and engines and followed with "Iron Without".

The Blood Prince, Rapine lets out a massive roar which can be heard by Khorne himself as he rips xenos limb from limb. His massive wings spread and he flies up into the towers of the structure and plumets back down smashing into the metal floor leaving a large crater. Small Tyranids organisms charge him as living ammo of tiny beetles blast out from their weapons but bounce harmless from his warp flesh. He tears into one, grabbing its tail and repeatedly smashing it into the ground while he hacks others apart with his daemonic weapon. Then a shadow looms over him followed by a inhuman roar, a real challenge finally emerges from the hordes of Tyranids.

The Chaos Terminator spots his prey ahead and spores plummet down smashing into the metal floor leaving pools of ichor and xeno remains in metal craters. He sees the beast floating above the ground by a few feet, something impossible as its huge cranium should bring it down. He lets off a magazine from his anicent bolter but the rounds bounce off a shimmering field protecting the alien beast. There is only one way to deal with this, the Iron Warrior revs up his chain fist and activiates the power field surrounding it and charges the floating monster. He grabs its tail and rams his buzzing chain fist into the creature cutting it clean inhalf with a shower of purple thick blood. As the creature fell to the floor the Terminator deals the death blow; a curb stomp to the beasts face smashing it to pieces and denting the floor as he lets off several rounds into its exposed brain.

As the Obliterators fire purple blasts of warp fire burning hordes of xenos the Iron Warriors know they have lost this battle. The scorched beasts head on swarming the powerful Obliterators and tear them to pieces with weight of numbers. The Dead Prince, Torpid has already been severely wounded by the bigger xeno monsters and fell back. The Iron Warriors regroup their surviving numbers and leave their fortification to the xenos and fall back deeper into the abandoned areas of Aegis.

rbryce
02-18-2010, 07:10 AM
re: campaign: well thought out and fully fleshed background there, if i can get some games in, ill send em in to you. seems as though youve been planning this for a while...

Legoklods
02-18-2010, 02:32 PM
When I started reading the Iron Warrior list I immediately face-palmed. Daemon Prince with Mark of Nurgle? What the heck is such a thing doing with the Iron Warriors. Kinda goes against the theme...

Herald of Nurgle
02-18-2010, 02:35 PM
When I started reading the Iron Warrior list I immediately face-palmed. Daemon Prince with Mark of Nurgle? What the heck is such a thing doing with the Iron Warriors. Kinda goes against the theme...
Erm, what if the Prince is essentially a guy built out of tanks and such? That would be tough, like a Nurgle Prince aye?

mercer
02-19-2010, 06:00 AM
re: campaign: well thought out and fully fleshed background there, if i can get some games in, ill send em in to you. seems as though youve been planning this for a while...

Many thanks buddie. Look forward to receiving them! :)

Only a idiot would face palm themselves at such thing.

Background restricts armies so useful builds or units cannot be taken. Why cut off my nose to spite my face when I can make my daemon prince immune almost to S4> weapons?

Also, Iron Warriors are undivided and would received gifts from god equally!

Erm, what if the Prince is essentially a guy built out of tanks and such? That would be tough, like a Nurgle Prince aye?

Exactly!

xanoasucy
02-20-2010, 12:05 PM
Spores don't mishap, they work like SM Drop Pods where you'd have to reduce the scatter to avoid the obstacle. And why would the Zoanthropes check for dangerous terrain? They're not Deepstriking, the Spore is, Zoanthropes just disembark when it lands. Marines can't be sweeping advanced either, they suffer No Retreat but that's it. Were all these part of the Campaign? Or just rules oversight's?

Other than that the game seemed like a lot of fun. I picked up "Nids when they came out so always great to read a battle report on them.

mercer
02-22-2010, 08:09 AM
1. I wasn't exactly sure on the rules for the spores, but thats clear now.

2. Iron Warriors are Chaos Marines, they do not have And They Shall Know No Fear so they can be destroyed by sweeping advance.