Defiler, 2 Extra Close Combat Arms

FAST ATTACK 355
Chaos Biker Squad
5 Bikers, Aspiring Champion, 2 Meltaguns, Chaos Glory
Raptor Squad
5 Raptors, 2 Meltaguns, Aspiring Champion, Chaos Glory

TROOPS
Plague Marine Squad
9 Plague Marines, Aspiring Champion, Power Weapon, Combi-Flamer, 2 Flamers, Personal Icon
Dedicated Transport: Rhino, Combi-Plasma
Chaos Marine Squad
10 Marines, Aspiring Champion, Power Fist, 2 Flamers, Combi-Flamer, Icon of Slannesh, Fabius Bile Upgrade
Dedicated Transport: Rhino, Combi-Plasma
Lesser Daemons
10 Lesser Daemons

Supposed to be an aggressive list, in ya face! Fabius with the Plague Marines (sounds weird, doesn't it), Typhus teleporting with the Terminators. Icons are all over the place- not to worried about Terminators and Daemon Summoning. Same with the Aspiring Champions and the Greater Daemon. Of Course, the Greater Daemon is preferred to come out of the Raptors or the bike squad.

Lots of Pie Plates. Lots of Templates. Variety of weapons. The only thing the army doesn't have is long range anti-tank. However, 4 fast moving meltas, 5 Transported meltas, and 5 teleporting combi-meltas will hopefully make up for this.

Overall, I have a feeling the Leafblower will make a mockery of this list.

Mobious
02-15-2010, 06:56 PM
Weaknesses I see are you only have 4 "real" anti-tank units, and only 3 Troops if I read correctly. At 2500 you might struggle because of this. You do not have enough to beat down a fully mech force, and the low troop number will come to bite you later.

I would suggest dropping points from the HQ slot, preferably the Greater Daemon, which then lets you cut back on the expensive aspiring champions. And then you can use those points--and maybe a couple from lowering your Plague marines count in the rhino--to buy 10 Plague Marines in two Rhinos with dual meltas.

I think Chaos lists without Obliterators really struggle though. Your anti-tank has to wait until turn two to do real damage, and by then it might be too late.

Tynskel
02-15-2010, 07:18 PM
That is an interesting idea- The list basically loses the Aspiring Champions from the: Raptors, Bikers, and Chosen. Then the Greater Daemon. Losing all of that only gains one more Plague Marine, which really doesn't solve the low troop issue. However, this change does add another rhino and 4 meltas and 2 combi-meltas. Also cuts out 2 flamers and a combi-flamer.

I am not sure I like the idea of two 5 man plague marine squads.

On the note of starting Oblits on the board. I have never liked doing that- you are doing that for the Lascannon Shots, and Predator Annihilators are just cheaper. I find that it is better to Teleport them. At that point, this doesn't solve to turn 1 anti-tank issue, unless you take both.

The fun thing about the Greater Daemon is that it adds a heavy hitter that doesn't get killed on the way in. The Greater Daemon will smash up tanks quite well too.

Sarkan Bloodfist
02-15-2010, 11:58 PM
Tynskel

I've been playing chaos for a long time. I believe that these are the quality units in the chaos codex:
demon prince, lord, sorcerer, kharne, terminators, plague marines, noise marines, undivided marines, obliterators, havocs, vindicators, greater demons.

chaos heroes are very expensive and, except for abaddon, do not have eternal warrior. I find it hard to invest 200+ in a character who can be killed in one shot by a melta weapon or a power fist etc. Kharne is the only one I would include as a strong HQ choice because he's inexpensive and very strong in close combat.

IMO chosen are not very good because for the same points terminators carry better ranged and close combat weaponry, and are also more resilient. when it comes to the terminators I would advise against taking mark of nurgle because terminators are already very resilient against small arms fire. mark of nurgle increases that resilience, but they're still dying just as fast to plasma weapons, vindicator shells etc. mark of tzeentch gives them a 50% chance to live through anything, so I really advocate that on terminators.

one of your strengths as a chaos player is that you have an exceptionally strong selection of scoring units. I believe you should take as many basic troopers armed to the teeth with plasma and melta weapons. in sufficient numbers they have a good shot at accomplishing any mission.

I feel that chaos has a weak fast attack section. A squad of raptors costs about as much as a squad of tactical marines, has the same mobility, but does not have the protection of the rhino and has more limited wargear options. Their one advantage is that they can charge from 18" away. To me this does not outweight their relative nakedness in a galaxy full of ap 2 templates. bikers might work out. I have not tried them.

Lesser demons are very expensive for what they are. for 2 points more they could have been a marine with a 3+ armor save instead of a 5+ invulnerable, the same number of attacks, bolters, and the options to take the wargear that really makes marines work. I'll say two things for them: a 5 man squad is a cheap way to hold an objective, and they can charge out of nowhere. the second ability is too random to depend on however because it depends on them coming out of reserves at just the right time.

for the points I would advise you to trade the defiler for obliterators or a 3rd vindicator. defilers cost more than vindicators, are easier to kill, and have a weaker gun. the trade off for this is supposed to be their close combat ability, but at init. 3 and weapon skill 3 they almost always lose in close combat against anything but the opponent's basic infantry.

good luck.

Tynskel
02-16-2010, 12:12 AM
Cool. Thanks!

I'll look at a re-write.

Sarkan Bloodfist
02-16-2010, 12:26 AM
yep

Tynskel
02-16-2010, 12:38 AM
Hah! Dropping the Mark of Nurgle and the choosen upgrades to another 6 man squad with the same weapon layout. 2 Squads of termies it is!

Sarkan Bloodfist
02-16-2010, 12:49 AM
kool. if you give them all combi-plasmas they'll absolutely spray the badguys when they deep strike. anything outside of cover will be in big trouble.

Tynskel
02-16-2010, 01:36 AM
hahaha, I have always liked Combi-Plasmas. However, dropping them from anti-tank is going to be rough- I would have to make some significant changes to the list. The defiler is probably gunna be switched to something else (still debating Oblits or Predator Annihilator).

Sarkan Bloodfist
02-16-2010, 12:21 PM
I encourage you to use the obliterators. they're extremely flexible. they have a problem with instant death so keep them in cover.