PDA

View Full Version : Daemons 2000pts...

Ghoulio
02-16-2010, 05:39 AM
I am almost finished painting up everything that I am going to be using in the near future for my Tyranids and I have decided I need a change of pace. I have been thinking about what to start next, and like my nids, I want an army that is going to be just as much fun to paint as it will be to play. I also wanted to play something that not too many other people play (and around here it is zero lol). So here it goes:

HQ
(1) Fateweaver
333pts
(2) Keeper of Secrets - Unholy Might, Soporific Musk
230pts

Elites
(2) Fiends of Slaanesh (5)
150pts
(1) Flamers of Tzeentch (3) - Bolt of Tzeentch
135pts
(1) Bloodcrushers of Khorne (4) - Fury of Khorne, Chaos Icon, Instrument of Chaos
200pts

Troops
(1) Pink Horrors of Tzeentch (5) - The Changeling, Bolt of Tzeentch
(2) Pink Horrors of Tzeentch (5) - Bolt of Tzeentch
(2) Bloodletters of Khorne (14)
(1) Plague Bearers of Nurgle (10) - Icon of Chaos

Heavy Support
(2) Daemon Prince of Nurgle - Mark of Nurgle, Wings, Iron Hide, Noxius Touch, Cloud of Flies
215pts
(1) Daemon Prince of Tzeentch - Mark of Tzeentch, Bolt of Tzeentch
140pts

Total Army - 1997pts

(1) - Group 1 ie the Group that starts on the board
(2) - Group 2 ie the Group that comes in on turn 2+

I have never played this army or against it, and since it is so different then most armies I have tried setting up (namely Eldar and Tyranids) it has taken me forever to get to a point where I *think* it looks decent. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated :)

Cryl
02-16-2010, 08:55 AM
Don't split your monstrous creatures drop them all in one turn one. I play against daemons a fair amount and where they give me problems is when I get lots of very big tough things in my face in turn one, the trick is to present your opponent with more things that have to die than he can possibly kill. For example if you put both princes and both greater daemons in on turn one you can still bring in the bloodcrushers (they look a lot better on paper than my experiences suggest) with fateweaver for that bomb.

As always YMMV.

Ghoulio
02-17-2010, 03:00 AM
Don't split your monstrous creatures drop them all in one turn one. I play against daemons a fair amount and where they give me problems is when I get lots of very big tough things in my face in turn one, the trick is to present your opponent with more things that have to die than he can possibly kill. For example if you put both princes and both greater daemons in on turn one you can still bring in the bloodcrushers (they look a lot better on paper than my experiences suggest) with fateweaver for that bomb.

Yeah, I could totally see that. If you can get them all near Fateweaver even better. I am definitely going to break it up to have all the MC's/Super tough units start on the board. There were a couple things I was wondering about also. I have a couple of quick questions after I have been thinking about the list.

- Would it be better to skim some points (like maybe the two bolts off of the Pink Horrors) and upgrade the Keeper of Secrets to a Bloodthirster? Bloodthirsters always seem to scare the crap out of everyone and he will hopefully take the heat off of Fateweaver.

- Would it be better to get rid of the bolt from the Flamers and Cloud of Flies from my Nurgle DP and get a 4th Flamer? Or is it better to just leave the bolt on them (due to the serious lack of ranged tank busting daemons normally bring).

- Is it worth spending the 40pts to make all 4 Bloodcrushers unique to max out on wound allocation or would it be better to just get a 5th Crusher?

Cryl
02-17-2010, 04:19 AM
Bloodthirsters will scare the crap outta people especially if you give it unholy might, it'll attract a lot of fire but that's good since it's fairly hard to kill (3+ as well as 4++) and since it's got an effective charge range of 18" it will be hitting things a turn after it arrives, it's not cheap though and if you're bothered about ranged tank busting you could consider the herald of tzeentch as HQ choices. Put them on a chariot and you have a 5 wound T4 jetbike with a 4++ save, plus it's only 95 points with bolt of tzeentch so you can take two for the price of the thirster and have change... I'd consider a third prince if you go that way though. Talking of which (princes that is) consider making them all MoN with wings and iron hide, makes them pretty hard to kill and very effective at wiping units of the board with their sheer range, throw on unholy might if you can afford it too.

Personally I think flamers are over costed suicide units, they're scary sure but that's why I kill them first. It probably buys a turn for other units to get into CC with me but I'm not sure it's worth the cost when you can get so many horrors for the same cost.

I always prefer to have more wounds in a unit than a way of spreading out wounds that may still result in my losing models anyway. I'd take the extra crusher if it were me.

Like I say though I play against daemons not with them so I might be slightly off with some of this advice. I just know what bothers me and even though you mention lack of ranged AT, I'd still be more afraid of a thirster than two heralds of tzeentch and I play a LRC based marine list most of the time! The thirst is S9 on the charge with 6 attacks and is a MC... pretty much every hit will penetrate AV14 and there's only so many time that damage dice won't show a 5 or 6...

Ghoulio
02-17-2010, 05:07 AM
Yeah, I have no interest in heralds at all. For me this army is just as much about painting as it will be playing so I want a bunch of big, fun to paint models in here. So after doing some thinking this is my revised list:

HQ - 603pts
(1) Fateweaver
333pts
(1) Bloodthirster – Unholy Might

Elites - 455 pts
(2) Fiends of Slaanesh (5)
150pts
(2) Flamers of Tzeentch (3)
105pts
(1) Bloodcrushers of Khorne (5)
200pts

Troops - 585pts
(2) Pink Horrors of Tzeentch (5) - The Changeling, Bolt of Tzeentch
(2) Pink Horrors of Tzeentch (5) - Bolt of Tzeentch
(1) Bloodletters of Khorne (15)
(2) Plague Bearers of Nurgle (10)

Heavy Support - 355pts
(1) Daemon Prince of Nurgle - Mark of Nurgle, Wings, Iron Hide, Noxius Touch, Cloud of Flies
215pts
(1) Daemon Prince of Tzeentch - Mark of Tzeentch, Bolt of Tzeentch
140pts

Total Army - 1998pts

I am really happy with this list. After getting rid of some of the fiddly wargear I am able to add another bloodletter (to bring them up to 15, which I think is a good number) and another Bloodcrusher. Hopefully me not having any chaos icons won't hurt me too much, but I figured since this army is a 100% fly by the seat of my pants "luck" army that I will let the winds of chaos decide my fate as far as deepstriking is concerned :)

Cryl
02-17-2010, 05:46 AM
Cool, looks fun, I'm skeptical about the foot prince but I'm happy to be proven wrong :) Let me know how you get on with it in games.

Ghoulio
02-17-2010, 06:35 AM
He will own, dont worry. He is basically just a fire platform (ie a transport popper). Think of him as a Defiler with "Tongue" but he has a BS of 5 and a WS of 7 and Toughness instead of that crappy armor. Also, with the sheer amount of fast, very killy MCs I have starting out (Fateweaver, Bloodthirster and the MoN Winged Prince) nobody will shoot at him. Also, this is the model I am going to use for him (I will chaos him up of course :) )

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat1060067&prodId=prod1110261

Cryl
02-17-2010, 06:37 AM
That is an awesome idea for a Tzeentch prince... you should make a thread in the modelling section to show him off when you get it done