PDA

View Full Version : Steel Legion for my little brother!

Polaris
02-17-2010, 12:02 AM
Hey guys,

My little brother is trying to start a steel legion army. He is 11, so I told him I would build an army list for him. He's going to buy models.

My goal is to build a strong, straight forward army list. Please critique.

2000 pts.

HQ

Company command squad
Officer
Astropath
3 plasma
1 medic
Chimera

Elite

Marbo

Fast

Vendetta
Vendetta

Troops

Vet Squad
2 meltas
1 flamer
Chimaera

Vet Squad
2 meltas
1 flamer
Chimaera

Vet Squad
2 meltas
1 flamer
Chimaera

Vet Squad
2 meltas
1 flamer
Chimaera

Vet Squad
2 x melta
1 flamer
(In the vendetta)

Vet Squad
2 x melta
1 flamer
(In the vendetta)

Heavy

Medusa x 2

Medusa x 2

Sir Biscuit
02-17-2010, 12:19 AM
Not a bad list. A bit one-dimensional, but considering he's 11 it's nice to have something that's not easy to screw up.

I would say drop the power fist in the command squad, certainly. Let's not kid ourselves that they're going to melee anything to death. Cut the medpack too, it's nice for plasma but really too expensive.

Use those points to upgrade one medusa into a manticore, or take an stropath to help outflank those vendettas.

I'd personally drop a vet squad, swap one of the other medusa's into a russ of some kind, and throw some doctrines on the rest. Not because it's more effective, but because it'll be really damn boring to paint 40 of the same model. It's not ineffective and it'll make hobby time more fun.

Polaris
02-17-2010, 09:33 AM
Updated the list a bit. I had 7 troop choices : D haha

Tynskel
02-17-2010, 06:46 PM
I am curious what the army will do against a horde- melta them to death?

You should probably switch two squads to 3 flamers each. Or, switch all squads to 2 meltas and a flamer.

Polaris
02-17-2010, 07:38 PM
I am curious what the army will do against a horde- melta them to death?

Run. . . . very far away.

But on a serious note, 4 medusas should be able to really do some damage. Maybe I'll take out a melta from each squad and add a flamer.

Sir Biscuit
02-17-2010, 07:52 PM
Also, each Chimera should be packing a multilaser and heavy flamer. It's the smart players choice.

SlavesToDarkness
02-19-2010, 03:45 PM
1. You could always dropa vendetta for a valkyrie with rocket pods - will help bigtime against hordes.

2. Multilaser + Flamer ALWAYS.

3. Mix up weapons so you get 3 x melta + 3 x flamer.

4. For an 11-year-old you might want some demo charges. Flashy and fun.

5. 4 x Medusa for an 11-year old? You're kidding, right? Get some Leman Russes in there. Big mean, easily identifiable tanks. Medusas go up in smoke if the enemy so much as farts on them. Get some demolishers and standard Leman Russes instead.

Tynskel
02-19-2010, 08:29 PM
Hey! You switched to two Meltas n' a Flamer.

I usually do not like to 1) Spam units and 2) split weapons fire- but in this case, the weapons load outs of 2 meltas n' a Flamer is Scary! You can always 'Shoot the big one!' and a single flamer just does wonders to hordes.

This should list should be a great way to introduce someone to the game-- teaches how each weapon works, and where their backup uses are best.