PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer Quest

Mr Mystery
02-10-2015, 03:44 AM
Morning all!

So spent a considerable amount of yesterday tapa-tapa-tapping my way to victory on this beaut of a game.

Whilst of course it doesn't quite measure up to the board game based original, mostly because I'm not playing it with my mates, and getting peeved at the XP thief in the corner, who then acts like some sort of tactical genius, instead of a complete goit.

In terms of inappropriate comparisson? A worthy Methadon to the original's pure Heroin.

Romping about the dungeons is great fun. The odd random events pop up (sadly no cinematics, just text), and ambushes can seriously ruin your day (having everyone but the Elf webbed is a rubbish state of affairs, especially when half a dozen Black Orcs have expressed a keen interest on the contents of your party's heads).

Can get wee bit repetitive - mostly I found levelling up beyond Lvl 6 to be prohibitively expensive in terms of gold, leading to dungeon crawls just to raise a little of the old cash monies.

Also - my Marauder is an incompetent boob. Equipped with the best armour I've found, a really tasty double handed hammer, and a ring that ensure I hit more often in combat. Surrounded by 2 Orc Warbosses, 3 Black Orcs and two Spiders, he was clearly in trouble. He went berserk, bagging an extra attack to give him 6. I then used Battle Rage to get 8 more. Not. A. Single. Hit. Seriously. Not a one. Just flailed miserably around. I'd even given him that not inexpensive ring to fix that issue. Stupid git.

Though in true RPG style, the Shadow Wizard is terrible to start with. Puny spells, hits with all the force of a wet paper bag, and gets his teeth knocked out by a nasty tut in his direction. Two levels later? BEHOLD AS I CRUSH THE WORLD WITH A THOUGHT! Glorious stuff!

One down side though is that you currently cap out at level 8 - I wasn't aware of this when I bought two new map areas, which is a bit of a pain!

Overall, it remains a very enjoyable game. Next month I shall be adding new Heroes to those available to me. Yes, they do cost extra, but I would hope that they add massively increased replay value. After all, it may be possible (if far from advisable) to take nothing but combat nutters down into the dark, declaring that healing is for wimps!

eldargal
02-10-2015, 04:36 AM
What's the situation with wimmins?

Psychosplodge
02-10-2015, 05:10 AM
Is it available on a PC?

Mr Mystery
02-10-2015, 05:24 AM
What's the situation with wimmins?

Waywatcher is a wimmins. But haven't bought any other character packs at present, so not 100%. Doesn't look much wimmins though.

Splodge - Yes, yes it is. Available via Steam.

It does have some freemium elements, of which I don't fully approve. Whilst I'm happy to pay for Heroes and dungeons and additional monster stuff, because they expand the play experience somewhat (gets boring just duffing up Orcs!), but the '£22 for a pooload of Gold' is offensive unto Nuggan!

Psychosplodge
02-10-2015, 05:37 AM
Have to look at that next steam sale then...

Mr Mystery
02-10-2015, 05:51 AM
Man it's more expensive on PC!

I shall have a wee play to myself (no, not with myself, thank you) on lunch I think.

Path Walker
02-10-2015, 05:53 AM
Waywatcher is a wimmins. But haven't bought any other character packs at present, so not 100%. Doesn't look much wimmins though.

Splodge - Yes, yes it is. Available via Steam.

It does have some freemium elements, of which I don't fully approve. Whilst I'm happy to pay for Heroes and dungeons and additional monster stuff, because they expand the play experience somewhat (gets boring just duffing up Orcs!), but the '£22 for a pooload of Gold' is offensive unto Nuggan!

I have them all, women wise, its the wardancer and thats it, which is a shame, but better than the actual boardgame at least!

Erik Setzer
02-10-2015, 08:52 AM
I still need to fire it up on Steam. I grabbed it from the Humble Store when they were doing a sale on GW games, along with Talisman and Chainsaw Warrior and the newer version of Space Hulk.

I grabbed the Deluxe Edition because it had all those extra packs and wasn't that expensive.

These board games being converted to the PC and tablets are nice for quick fun, but they make me nostalgic for the actual physical games, and I wish they'd re-release more of them (like they did with Space Hulk), or at least send the license to FFG or someone (like Talisman). I still have some of the card stuff for WHQ that was in White Dwarf.

Mr Mystery
02-10-2015, 09:04 AM
Should download Chainsaw Warrior as well. Looks a laugh!

Part of me is wondering if Digital is perhaps the natural home of these games now? I mean, I can easily cart my tablet (sorry, don't want to keep calling it iPad. I feel hipster being that specific) up the pub or round a mates house, and it's a lot less bother than setting up and packing away an actual board game. As long as it brings us together as gamers, it's got to be at least nearly as good?

Path Walker
02-10-2015, 09:17 AM
Chainsaw warrior is a perfect recreation of the game, its just that the game wasn't very good

Mr Mystery
02-11-2015, 03:48 PM
Dear gods......this game is addictive!

17 hours in and although I've maxed my characters levels, still so much to be done.

Best bit? The paid for expansions are considerably larger than the starting one.

Definitely getting my value for money!

Wolfshade
02-11-2015, 04:30 PM
Sounds good. I was tempted to get it , but I will wait a steam sale :D

Mr Mystery
02-11-2015, 04:32 PM
Clicky clicky, tappy tappy......

Loadsahackydeathkill!

Wolfshade
02-11-2015, 04:37 PM
Hmm, exactly.

Mr Mystery
02-12-2015, 04:02 AM
Today on the way to work, I lose my first dungeon......

Everyone wound up getting squished off a falling ceiling, until only the poor Wizard was left cowering in a corner. Then the roof landed on him too.

Great fun! Though on occasion the ambushes can get a bit frequent, though as my Marauder throws out a free attack when ambushed, it still remains funny to see a Gobbo jump out, only to get smashed in the face.

Aegwymourn
02-13-2015, 12:56 PM
I spent a fair number of hours enjoying Warhammer Quest. But I'm having a hard time recommending it due to all the micro-transactions. Sure you do not have to buy them, but the base game isn't exactly huge without them. If they gave you just 1-2 more heros I would highly suggest anyone at least play it. So far I think everyone in my party is level 4.

Although so far Grey Wizard is a boss! He along with my Ironbreaker are my favorites. I initially bought the Warrior Priest and the Archmage to play with them in my 4 person party. I'm a little disappointed with the Warrior Priest since the best thing about him is the item he starts with. The Archmage is rough to start with since both spells are 10 casting cost. So a fair number of turns at low level he cannot even cast anything. They are both getting better but for sheer smashyness the Ironbreaker is great and the spells on the Grey Wizard allow you to coast through all the rooms with bunches of wimpy guys.

Mr Mystery
02-13-2015, 02:15 PM
I'm not that fussed about the in game purchases.

There's lots to do, and I do like how it randomly generates quests in addition to the story line ones.

Plus, for under £3, each character adds a decent amount of additional play.

Aegwymourn
02-13-2015, 05:42 PM
It isn't a deal breaker for me. I broke down and bought the area xpacs today. I'm having way to much fun watching my Ironbreaker muderate his way through opponents!