PDA

View Full Version : 2000pt Imperial Guard Army

Grubbslinger
02-17-2010, 08:57 AM
I have played around with a bunch of different paper armies. I wanted to do some mech and add in some air support but I did not want to do a full armor company. So I came up with this plan, which has the best of both worlds, IMHO.

[HQ]
Company Command Squad-125pts- Astropath, Plasma Pistol, Power Weapon, Regimental Standard, Meltagun

[Elite]
Sly Marbo-65pts

[Troops]
Infantry Platoon-335pts
Platoon Command w/ Power Fist
Infantry Squad x5-Autocannon x3, Flamer x2

Veteran Squad x3-285pts- Meltagun, Missile Launcher on each

[Fast Attack]
Valkyrie Assault Carrier-145pts- Las Can, Multi Pods

Vendetta x2-260pts

[Heavy Support]
Leman Russ BT-185pts- Heavy Bolters, Las Can

Leman Russ Vanq-220pts- Pask, Las Can

Ordnance Battery-Basilisk x3-375pts

Total Pts- 1,995

The plan of attack for this army is simple to see. Use the vets in the Valk and Vendettas to outflank once rolled from reserve. Throw in Marbo to mess up any thing that I count as a threat. Meanwhile, footsloggers make there way up and either hold a obj or light up any mobs/light vehicles in the area. My CCS stays with the gunline to issue additional orders. The ordnance battery brings down the pain while the LRBTs provide support to the gunline. Ill probably end up using two combine squads of 30/20 or one big squad of 50.

So what do you guys think? Am I weak in any area? I like the troops I have selected but I am unsure about the load out I have given each.

Grubbslinger
02-26-2010, 08:59 AM
I hate to double post but I really would like some commentary on the list. I mean is it really that great that there are no comments on it?

Magos Bellum
02-26-2010, 10:01 AM
Sorry, the list isn't that great. Now for the commentary.
Three Basilisks in one battery is serious overkill. Basilisks are crippled by a huge minimum range, and thus spend a fair portion of the game in LOS, where an open topped squadron for that cost is a liability. On a penetrating hit a 3+ kills a vehicle, with AP 1, a 2+. 2 Vehicles in a squadron works fairly well (and allows you to play games with smoke launchers) but there are other choices that work better in that format.
If your vets are airborne, you won't get to shoot the missile launchers, so drop them and add two more meltaguns to each squad. Unless your dice hate you or you are shooting at a monolith, you should do some major damage to anything.
I would also advise taking the lascannon off the valk. It really doesn't go with the rocket pods, and if you are shooting at light infantry (which you should be, unless you have no better targets) it is 15pts for a worse gun. In the same vein, I would replace the lascannon on the LRBT for a heavy bolter and add a heavy stubber, but that is really a matter of personal preference.
And finially, if you can find the points, your platoon needs a commissar if you plan to blob it. You really don't want to lose 50 men the first time you get charged by a reasonably competent CC unit. The regimental standard helps here, but stubborn is almost a necessity given the morale modifiers normal guardsmen are faced with in close combat.

Hope this helps.

Grubbslinger
02-26-2010, 04:40 PM
Sorry, the list isn't that great. Now for the commentary.
Three Basilisks in one battery is serious overkill. Basilisks are crippled by a huge minimum range, and thus spend a fair portion of the game in LOS, where an open topped squadron for that cost is a liability. On a penetrating hit a 3+ kills a vehicle, with AP 1, a 2+. 2 Vehicles in a squadron works fairly well (and allows you to play games with smoke launchers) but there are other choices that work better in that format.
If your vets are airborne, you won't get to shoot the missile launchers, so drop them and add two more meltaguns to each squad. Unless your dice hate you or you are shooting at a monolith, you should do some major damage to anything.
I would also advise taking the lascannon off the valk. It really doesn't go with the rocket pods, and if you are shooting at light infantry (which you should be, unless you have no better targets) it is 15pts for a worse gun. In the same vein, I would replace the lascannon on the LRBT for a heavy bolter and add a heavy stubber, but that is really a matter of personal preference.
And finially, if you can find the points, your platoon needs a commissar if you plan to blob it. You really don't want to lose 50 men the first time you get charged by a reasonably competent CC unit. The regimental standard helps here, but stubborn is almost a necessity given the morale modifiers normal guardsmen are faced with in close combat.

Hope this helps.
That helps a lot. Excatly what I was looking for thanks! I am not sure about the meltaguns because of the short range. I mean I understand that I need to get close to armor but I am also looking at a way to get them into combat in other roles rather then just armor hunting. Missile Launcher seemed like a good way to do this. Do you have a better idea?

Magos Bellum
02-26-2010, 05:35 PM
Not really, airborne anti-tank vets are really one hit wonders without carapace armour or sentries (and often still are even though you spent more points on them), so having them alive and in a position to do anything else is often a bonus, and if they survive, they are so close that your best option is usually to open fire and charge (which is why they should be given shotguns), either that or re-embark and repeat the tactic.

That being said, I can think of a few occasions where I have wished that my vets with a similar setup had a heavy weapon (because they did nothing the entire game but sit on an objectives more than 24 inches away from anything), but all of those times not having them didn't make a huge difference because I had enough other firepower covering the same niche that a heavy weapon would have. In your army, the missile launchers targets will be just as easily destroyed by basilisk fire, battle cannon shells or autocannons (or lasgun fire in the place of frag missiles).

All that being said, if you do want to give the vets a heavy weapon, the meltagun, lascannon, demolitions combo is good, but suffers from being defensive in nature, so wouldn't work with the valk and vendettas.

karandras
02-27-2010, 02:56 PM
I would agree that the first thing to do would be to swap out the MLs in the Veteran Squads for additional special weapons and add a Commisar to the Infantry Platoon. Also three Basilisks is overkill. Unless you are stuck with Basilisks due to your model collection, I would drop the three of them for a single Manticore. With the points you save, you could even add a couple Chimeras for your infantry platoon or seriously upgrade your vets. I personally, would not spend the points on Pask for any variant other than a Punisher. The sheer number of dice the Punsher gets makes sense to have them hit on 3s instead of 4s. Any other variant and your really only talking about reducing template scatter by an inch or a couple dice rolls. Kinda steep for 50 points.

Maturin
02-27-2010, 04:32 PM
That helps a lot. Excatly what I was looking for thanks! I am not sure about the meltaguns because of the short range. I mean I understand that I need to get close to armor but I am also looking at a way to get them into combat in other roles rather then just armor hunting. Missile Launcher seemed like a good way to do this. Do you have a better idea?

Well, if they're not armor hunting.....then they're infantry hunting. And 3 BS4 melta shots are pretty good at killing MEQ's. If you equip them with shotguns (as Magos suggests) then you've got a unit with a secondary anti-infantry role.

You could toss in a HW team to give them some long-range firepower, but they won't get to shoot very much, and those points are better spent fully equipping your vets with meltas or plasma, and perhaps on a HW team in your gunline that will be shooting all game long. Your infantry gunline could probably use some more guns, to benefit from your orders.