PDA

View Full Version : 1500pt Tyranid Army List for friend(s)

Unholy_Martyr
02-17-2010, 12:26 PM
Alrighty, so I never play Tyranids nor will I ever (I hate bugs!). However, I have a few buddies who do play the bugs who are REALLY struggling especially when it comes to Marines in general. Below is a list used recently by one of them:

H.Q.

Swarm Lord -280

Hive Tyrant
Hive Commander -195

Elites

Ymargl Genestealers 5x -115

Zoanthrope -90

Zoanthrope -90

Troops

Tervigon
Catalyst -175

Tyranid Warriors 5x
Lash Whips and Bone Swords -225

Termagant 30x -150

Hormagaunt 15x
Toxin Sacs -160

Hormagaunt 15x
Toxin Sacs -160

Total: 1510

This is one of the Tyranid list that I faced using this list: http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=5294 . By turn 3 I had annihilated everything save for the Termagant Squad and the Hormagaunt squad as they were hidden in dense ruins.

Below is a proposed list for either of the guys to try out and see if it is anymore effective:

H.Q.

Tervigon 2x
Catalyst -350

Tyranid Prime
Lash Whip and Bone Sword, Scything Talons, Adrenal Glands -105

Troops

Tyranid Warriors 3x
Lash Whip and Bone Sword, Scything Talons, Adrenal Glands -150

Termagants 20x
Fleshborers -100

Hormagaunts 15x
Adrenal Glands -120

Hormagaunts 15x
Adrenal Glands -120

Heavy Support

Tyrannofex 2x
Rupture Cannon -530

Total: 1475

Basically the two Tyrannofex pop big tanks and transports alike with their Rupture Cannons while the entire swarm moves forward save for maybe the Termagants and a Tervigon if it is Capture and Control. So Tyranid players, tell me if I'm leading them in the right direction or am I screwing them over even harder than before.

Tynskel
02-17-2010, 12:39 PM
Tervigon 2x
Catalyst -350

I am assuming that one of the Tervigons is an HQ and the other is a troop? You can't have 3 HQs. (2 Tervigons and a Prime)

Tynskel
02-17-2010, 12:42 PM
For your second list, I would change the warriors to Death spitters, scything talons and a Barbed Strangler. You'll get more flexibility. The Prime could be kept the way it is- it will greatly enhance those warriors.

AirHorse
02-17-2010, 12:49 PM
Im not a tyranid player(though when money allows I may become one :P) but is it really worth dropping the ranged weapons on those tyranid warriors for a single pair of scything talons. Also, it seems to me that the biggest strength of the tervigons is its ability to be a troops choice(and therefor also the termagaunts it produces) and so it doesnt seem optimal to only have one as a troops choice.

Another thing, I dont know how you plan to use the army, i guess the warriors are going to attempt to stick with the hormagaunts since you stripped their weapons, but with two units of them and their ability to run a bit faster than other stuff how do you plan to use synapse? Are you just going to let them get ahead and rely on positioning to get them into the right units?

Unholy_Martyr
02-17-2010, 01:17 PM
@Tynksel

You are correct in assuming that the second Tervigon is going to be a troops choice, I just didn't know where to right it to be honest.

With Respect to the Warriors: I wasn't sure how to equip these guys, I might offer the suggestion of the Barbed Stranglers to my friends. Would it be counter productive to have 2 with the Barbed Strangler and 1 with Bonesword and Lash Whip? Also, if I do that, I could add another Warrior with upgrades to the brood making the overall cost be around 1505.

@ Airhorse: I figured I'd give him a nasty Close Combat unit; however I am rethinking this unit to see if I can add some more ranged firepower.

The Warriors would be right with the Hormagaunts as they are the main assault element providing them with Synapse and support.

Proposed list with changes:

H.Q.

Tervigon
Catalyst -175

Tyranid Prime

Troops

Tervigon
Catalyst -175

Tyranid Warriors 4x
Lash Whip and Bone Sword 2x, Barbed Strangler, Death Spitter, Scything Talons, Adrenal Glands -185

Termagants 15x
Fleshborers -75

Hormagaunts 15x
Adrenal Glands -120

Hormagaunts 15x
Adrenal Glands -120

Heavy Support

Tyrannofex 2x
Rupture Cannon -530

Total: 1495

Tynskel
02-17-2010, 04:08 PM
Unfortunately, you have to equip all the Warriors the same way. You cannot have scything talons, a gun, and Boneswords and Lash whips. You gunna have to choose between guns or close combat (wouldn't do both, because they are REALLY expensive at that point).

The Barbed Strangler is just a single upgrade for a unit.

After looking through your list again, I would stick with the Close Combat Warriors- your army doesn't really have any other CC god unit. You need to make sure that they will consistent kill things in close combat- I would give em' Bonesword, Lashwhips, and Toxin Sacs. The Toxin Sacs will allow you to kill anything (you'll be re-rolling to wound against Space Marines-kinda like a really nastly lightning claw). The Adrenal Glands are better if you are going to send them against armor, but at that point, you would need Rending Claws too. OR Adrenal Glands are good if you do not take Lash Whips- you'll want that initiative boost.

Drakkan Vael
02-17-2010, 06:32 PM
Proposed list with changes:

H.Q.

Tervigon
Catalyst -175

Tyranid Prime

I'd move the tervigon into the troop section and add a second unit of Termagaunts.

Troops

Tervigon
Catalyst -175

Tyranid Warriors 4x
Lash Whip and Bone Sword 2x, Barbed Strangler, Death Spitter, Scything Talons, Adrenal Glands -185

Termagants 15x
Fleshborers -75

Hormagaunts 15x
Adrenal Glands -120

Hormagaunts 15x
Adrenal Glands -120

If you drop three Hormagaunts and spend the last five points from 1500 you can split the Termagaunts in two units of ten an switch the HQ Tervigon to the troops section.
Your Tyranid Prima is a CC unit, while your warriors are not. I'd think about switching them to CC as well.
You might also think about dropping the Hormagaunts altogether as boosted (via Tervigon) Termagaunts are nearly as good in CC and can shoot as well. In addition to that two spawning Tervigons produce enough troop choices.
That frees points for hive guards or Zoantrophs in pods.

Heavy Support

Tyrannofex 2x
Rupture Cannon -530

Total: 1495
Don't take two Tyrannofexes. They are much to expensive. Try a Trygon prime. Cheaper and kills even a squad of normal terminators if he attacks, and rips any tank apart.

Hope that helps.

Unholy_Martyr
02-17-2010, 10:11 PM
I'll pass along the information with all of your suggestions.

I am rather hesitant to recommend a Trygon for a one reason:

1) While the creature is a beast, I have encountered it a few times in several Tyranid lists and found it to be rather easy to take down. Then again...I run a list that is designed to drop at least 5 tanks a turn or 2-3 Monstrous Creatures a turn so maybe I am an exception. Throwing a Trygon into the middle of a gunline sounds like suicide unless it is Imperial Guard, even then they can just blob up and tie it up for a few rounds.