PDA

View Full Version : Best Space Crusade-like gaming system?

mordiano
02-18-2015, 03:33 PM
What it says in the title.

What is the best game that resembles space crusade nowadays?

Space Crusade, in all its glory, would seem a bit simple by todays standards.

Are there any alternatives out there?

+++for fanmade

HappyDad
04-22-2015, 03:13 PM
I picked up a first edition of SpaceHulk from eBay last year. The board pieces were in excellent condition - like new really. I binned the appalling terminator models, and replaced them with some of the current GW models (although it pained me to do so at GW prices, even with 20% online discount!). I based all the models on some Renedra round bases, so they fit nicely on the board sections.

I have now played probably 40+ games, using the standard missions from the boxed set, plus a few missions I made up, and I am having a ball !

It is a really fun, simple (but challenging) and balanced game. It is also really easy to make up missions that seem to be pretty balanced.

It was a fun project pulling it all together too, and choosing what chapter to paint the marines in. I bought some lightning claw arms of eBay for £1, so one of my marines is armed with those.

odinsgrandson
04-29-2015, 09:12 AM
If you want to go with vintage games, definitely check out Seige of the Citadel.

Otherwise, now is an era of wonderful dungeon crawler miniatures games, it is just that most of them are fantasy-themed instead of science fiction themed. Check through a few Kickstarter projects, and you'll find a plethora of cool looking ones.

My favorite current Dungeon Crawler is Super Dungeon Explore. It is probably the farthest from SC in theme and art style, but if you want that kind of gameplay fix, it is a good one to go with.

I've also played some of the Level 7 dungeon crawler (I don't remember what the subtitle was, but it is the second level 7 game). It was pretty cool, and close to what you're looking for.

Comoran
07-24-2015, 10:02 AM
The Doom boardgame is similar to Space Crusade, though I still prefer SC to any of the later games. Space Hulk is too rules heavy for my taste. Tyranid Attack was an interesting game, similar to SC.