PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Pt. Guard feel free to be brutal

Soam
02-18-2010, 04:23 PM
So i'll post the list first and then explain it..

HQ

Company Command Squad 255
Creed
Master of the Fleet
Astropath
Chimera ML;HF

Troops

Veteran Squad 155 x3
Meltagun x3
Chimera ML;HF

Veteran Squad 170
Plasma Gun x3
Chimera ML;HF

Platoon
Command Squad 105
Flamer x4
Chimera ML;HF

Infantry Squad 65
Flamer
Autocannon

Infantry Squad 100
Flamer
Autocannon
Commisar

Infantry Squad 70
Flamer
Missile Launcher

Infantry Squad 105
Flamer
Missile Launcher
Commisar

Heavy Support

Manticore Rocket Launcher 160

Leman Russ 165
Lascannon

Leman Russ Demolisher 180
Lascannon

Fast Attack

Sentinel Scout 50 x3
Hunter Killer Missile
AutoCannon

Total: 1990 Pts

Plan is to combine the infatry squads in to two 20 man squads and use those squads to hold any objectives in my deployment zone and use them for long range firepower. Creed will be used to make the squads firing more effective and allow the demolisher to outflank along with the Sentinels. Sentinels will be deployed in seperate squads. Master of the Fleet is to discourage my opponent from reserving their entire force, and Astropath is to help with outflankers and allow we to reserve my entire force without being effected too much. The mechanized portions of the army will seek and destroy. Thoughts? Improvement ideas? I dont like the thought of having 255 points in one unit with guard, but that squad really seems to give me a lot more flexability with the army.

Tynskel
02-18-2010, 05:49 PM
I like it. Similar to a list I designed.

Those extra 10 points could be used to buy a power weapon for the commisar- why not? Not like you are using them. :)

I like Autocannon Sentinels with 1 shot missiles. Makes them a really nasty unit the turn they come in. Also, all those weapons are long ranged; either side of the board will probably mean a line of sight.

Mobious
02-18-2010, 06:33 PM
Nice thing about Guard is you can throw together pretty much anything and you'll still have a good list--as long as you stray away from Riders and Ogryns. So this is good, but could be improved.

If you are going to use Creed I would suggest buying some Heavy Weapon teams with auto cannons to replace a couple of those infantry squads. That way you get the most out of his linking ability. Otherwise stick with the CCS as is or grab Straken and some PWs to strengthen those infantry blobs.

Those are the easiest changes I see. I do not like some other things, but I would not want you to change you list too much.

Soam
02-18-2010, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the input, guys.
Mobious, let me know what you would change, if I dont use it now i'll at least take it in to consideration for future purchases and lists. Also if I were to drop some squads for HW squads what weapons would you suggest?

Tynskel
02-19-2010, 12:33 AM
Mobius is right- the Autocannon squads would really benefit from the orders!

Soam
02-19-2010, 08:01 AM
Duh, he put what weapons in his post.. The only thing that I see as maybe an issue is that the Heavy Weapon squads will only have LD7 and I dont want to spend the points for Kell. Should I even worry about the LD issue?

Mobious
02-20-2010, 12:34 PM
Well here's what I think are the best things about IG. Being able to field lots of cheap auto-cannons with Hydras and Heavy Weapons Teams. Auto-cannons just work so well against everything, especially the Hydras. It is hard for me to build a Guard list without them because it is such a good buy.

Manticores are nice but I tend to stray away from Leman Russes. I like the model, I like the feel, but I rather the reliability of shots vs. blasts. If you really do want the high strength low AP ordinance, I would go with a pair of Medusuas. It might be a bit more expensive to get rid of the open-topped penalty, but you get more reliability. You rarely miss when you have got TWO large blasts.

I personally stick to Melta Vets, whenever those expensive Plasma guns threaten someone they will be the first unit down. For 20 points less you get 8 TL S:7 shots at very long range. You lose the AP but you get reliability.

Notice the trend, go with the units that consistently get the job done, and can do so against multiple types of targets.