PDA

View Full Version : Grey Knights and Imperial Knights?

NobleSeven
02-20-2015, 11:11 PM
Hey all! I just picked up a small GK lot and I can already see they struggle with a lack of ranged firepower and a reliable screen for their elite assault units. I was wondering if an Imperial Knight or two would make a good compliment to the Grey Knights? I love how cool the giant robots look and would love to run them behind a wave of shining terminators!

Also, out of curiosity, what other allies do the GK like to have supporting them?

DarkLink
02-21-2015, 01:11 AM
I'm currently 3-0-0 at the LVO with GKs allied with Knights, so definitely a good combo. Problem is, there are some match ups I probably can't win. The right DE army or 5 flying Tyrants would almost be an auto lose.

GKs really need anti-flyer. A Fire Raptor would be the perfect addition to most GK armies, but you need SM allies to do it. Luckily, Draigo and Centurions are best buds as well.

NobleSeven
02-21-2015, 01:22 AM
Thanks for the info and congrats on the current showing! Would you be willing to send/post your current list? I'm very curious to see what you decided on?

YorkNecromancer
02-21-2015, 08:12 AM
GKs really need anti-flyer.

My immediate thought would be a Mortis Contemptor with quad autocannon; is that not legal because it's FW?

DWest
02-21-2015, 09:49 AM
My immediate thought would be a Mortis Contemptor with quad autocannon; is that not legal because it's FW?
The Contemptor/Mortis aren't available as a choice for GK, although you could chuck one into the Space Marine allied detachment.

DarkLink
02-21-2015, 09:59 AM
GKs don't get anything worthwhile fron Forgeworld, just a couple crappy razorback/land raider/dreadnought variants that are all terrible.

I'm playing the following:

Librarian
2x 5 termintors, 1 hammer, 1 psycannon
3x Dreadknights, psycannon, 2 w/ daemonhammers, 1 w/ sword
2 Imperial Knights Errant (the melta one).

YorkNecromancer
02-21-2015, 12:55 PM
I take it bare-bones Stormravens are no help?

NobleSeven
02-21-2015, 01:36 PM
Darklink, while it is barebones, that looks like an incredibly fun elite army to run! What armies do you usually play against? How do you pilot this list?

CrimsonTurkey
02-21-2015, 07:22 PM
GKs really need anti-flyer. A Fire Raptor would be the perfect addition to most GK armies, but you need SM allies to do it. Luckily, Draigo and Centurions are best buds as well.

The Fire Raptor also has the advantage of not looking godawful, like the Stormraven does.

DarkLink
02-22-2015, 02:44 AM
The Storm Raven is very mediocre. Compared to the fire raptor, storm wolf, etc, you just don't get much bang for your buck. Flyrants and the like could care less about a Raven, but a Wolf or especially a Raptor will have them jinking left and right.

I finished 14th overall, 5 wins, 1 loss, 45 out of 60 bonus points. My one loss was to Allan Pajamapants, he had three flyrants allied with summon spam daemons with two princes and fateweaver. He really only could have lost through sheet incompetence, but seeing as he's a top 40k player it wasn't much of a game. Like I said, GKs need anti flyer.

This was actually the first time I've ran Imperial Knights myself. It was fun to play. We have a pretty good local tournament scene, with some of the big west coast players as regulars (paul mckelveys tau, steve sisks space marines, etc). I don't face many daemon summon spam or some of the other east coast meta armies, so there's definitely room for me to learn to play better against certain things, and I hold myself back a bit playing the units I want to play over more competitive options, but I'm pretty happy with my games. My only loss was out of my control, there were a couple real close games, and I was able to recover from the handful of play mistakes I made.

Dreadknights help you play to the mission very well. Lvo uses modified malestorm as secondary for 3 pts, the primary is 4 pts and are based on the book missions, and first blood, warlord, and linebreaker are one point each. If I could fit in a fire raptor, I would be pretty confident going in to just about any game, with a few minor tweaks.

DarkLink
02-22-2015, 03:01 AM
It's also a pretty aggressive list. There are generally three strategies. 1, you bum rush the other guy and overwhelm him. You just need to have good target priority to take out key units so he can't effectively counter attack. 2, you sit at 24" daring your opponent to get close enough to charge you. Shunting means you can flank with the dreadknights around their threat. Lure them out, maybe sacrifice a knight, then pounce with the rest of the army. 3, your opponent wants to flee at all costs (ex tau), but has enough firepower or mobility you can't just bumrush them or lure them out for a counter charge, so you maneuver to corral them in a corner and plink away with thermal cannons and psycannons. By the time he wins the shooting war, he's stuck in the corner and youve got all the objectives.

Of course in the case of flyers, they can just zoom around with impunity and kill your stuff, so you either need to tweak the list to get some flyer in there or hope the flyers don't table you before the game ends, as is the case with multiple flyrants and/or well played daemon flying circus.

lantzkev
02-22-2015, 01:54 PM
I think that's a pretty over the top analysis of grey knights. There's a simple fact with your shuntings of dreadknights is anything but "flanking" it's more akin to night crawler hoping in your face and just beating things down, with a 30inch shunt, it doesn't truly matter where you deploy, you'll nearly always be where you need to be just about, specially with 24inch range guns and a 12 inch torrent flamer...

If you run two or three dreadknights, you can safely tuck them away into cover at a min, if not out of complete los and shunt them when you're ready to.

Chris*ta
02-22-2015, 05:18 PM
I'll just leave this here:
totally not a GK-appropriate Knight (http://dreamforge-games.com/products/leviathan-crusader) ...

DarkLink
02-23-2015, 12:51 AM
Only issue is it's not the right size for a normal knight. It's like three inches too tall. It woul work perfectly as one of the bigger forgeworld knights, though.

NobleSeven
02-24-2015, 01:53 PM
Darklink, how do you normally kit out your GK forces?