PDA

View Full Version : 1500 Point Quick Wolf list for local tournie...

pchappel
02-19-2010, 10:37 AM
1500 Quick Wolf list for local tournament...

Rune Priest (lightning, Tempest) 100
Wolf Guard (5 total, various loadouts, most with combi weapon and Frost Blade) Rhino 286
Grey Hunter Pack (PF, PP, Flamer, MotW) mounted in Razorback (TLAC) 205
Grey Hunter Pack (PF, PP, Flamer, MotW) mounted in Razorback (TLAC) 205
Grey Hunter Pack (PW, PP, Flamer) mounted in Razorback (TLLC) 180
Wolf Scouts (Sniper, PP, PW, Melta, Melta bombs)
Vindicator (Siege Blade) 125
Whirlwind 85
Land Speeder Typhoon (MM) 100
Land Speeder Tornado (MM/HF) 70

Made for aggressive "Blitz" type tactics. The Priest runs in the WG Rhino to provide the pocket "unlimited range d6 auto cannon" or 24" range "bad terrain bubble". The bulk of the WG are actually detailed out to the TLAC Razorback squads and the Scouts (likely) since they're my main "attackers". The TLLC Razorback squad is a mobile reserve. Whirlwind does it's thing, and the Vindicator is usually the point vehicle on the assault to be the big scary target or to just drop the large template onto things...

Thoughts/advice? Anything I'm overlooking here?

Unholy_Martyr
02-19-2010, 11:16 AM
There are quite a few things here trying to work in concert but it is seeming to turn into, well for lack of a better term, cluster****.

1) Drop the Plasma Pistols from everybody. The random Strength 7 AP 2 shot is not going to turn the batter at the cost of a Grey Hunter.

2) Power Weapons should never be used until after you have equipped Mark of the Wulfen, Mark is much more effective in terms of Wounding and taking down big baddies (such as Dreadnoughts and Monstrous Creatures).

3) What you're doing with the Wolf Guard is not a good idea, don't waste the points on a Rhino for them, just bring one of the Grey Hunter squads up to 8 men, make the Razorback a Rhino, shove a Wolf Guard in there with a Power Fist, Combi Weapon and toss in the Rune Priest for good measure.

4) Don't waste your points on a sniper rifle for melee Wolf Scouts and again, drop the Plasma Pistol.

5) Whirlwinds belong somewhere else, Wolves have much more effective ways of dealing with hordes.

6) Keep the Land Speeders Cheap: I hate Land Speeders and will never use them if I can; however, from my experience, they are truly at their best when running Multi Melta Heavy Flamer as they annoy the hell out of armor and infantry.

7) Get another Vindicator: These guys are nasty and well worth the points.

Possible list from above notes:

H.Q.

Rune Priest
Chooser of the Slain, Master of the Runes -160

Elites

Wolf Guard 3x
3x Power Fists -114

Wolf Scouts 5x
Melta Gun, Mark of the Wulfen, Melta Bombs -125

Troops

Grey Hunter 5x
Flamer, Mark of the Wulfen, Razorback: Twin Linked Assault Cannon -165

Grey Hunter 5x
Flamer, Mark of the Wulfen, Razorback: Twin Linked Assault Cannon -165

Grey Hunter 8x
Flamer, Mark of the Wulfen, Rhino -165

Fast Attack

Land Speeder 2x
2x Multi Melta/Heavy Flamer -140

Heavy Support

Vindicator 2x
Siege Shield -250

Long Fangs 6x
5x Missile Launchers, Razorback:Twin Linked Lascannons -215

Total: 1499

You have a well balanced, very mobile list with A LOT of firepower. Hope this helps.

pchappel
02-19-2010, 11:34 AM
Well, I see a lot of Tau/Eldar scouts locally, so the Whirlwind almost always gets more than it's points back... It's Artillery support,nbot really anti-horde for me. On the other hand, my Long Fangs have made a few appearances in this edition, but by and large, they aren't too effective for me.

I'll probably swap out one or more GH PP's for the MotW, especially on the Scout as that has almost always done well for me... Usually I have the Sniper with MotW so no CC attacks are lost, and I'm not standing around with a whole squad of pistol armed scouts when I either roll the 1/6 "wrong table edge" or clear the area they come in... :-) Spoiled playing 1850 lists, ran out of points for 1500.. Plasma there, I'm almost always looking at AV10 or 2+ saves for their prey (I see a fair number ot Tau Broadsides/artificer armored folks tending artillery), so it's almost always worth it for me locally at least.

Thanks!