PDA

View Full Version : Bastion & Aquila Shrine Had Twins! Soon to be Quadruplets

The Plastic Surgeon
08-04-2009, 10:20 AM
Ok so I thought the single Bastion was a bit wussy and wanted to build something a bit more impressive whilst at the same time use the gorgeous Aquila kit. I've always wanted to build a castle of some sort, so here is the WIP. The first pair of 4 3 bastion high towers with a 4 faced Aquila and 5 bastion high equiv tower in the center connected using CoD floors as bridges or some other thing.

Alternative is to scrap the L shape and have just the towers, build a 5 x 5 Bastion base (using only the base and ramparts) and put the 5 towers in a + formation in the center with a single full bastion at each corner of the 5 x 5.

But as far as the towers are concerned, should I extend the top of the ramparts over the shrine piece to recover that lost half inch of real estate (want to mount a Basilisk on top of each tower) and/or extend the piece outwards to where the Bastion's gunports would be and plasticard up the sides and base?

They're obviously WIP, not everything glued and the pieces need more plastic surgery to fit properly.

http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af353/tommysixfour/th_IMG_0177.jpg (http://s1023.photobucket.com/albums/af353/tommysixfour/?action=view&current=IMG_0177.jpg) http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af353/tommysixfour/th_IMG_0176.jpg (http://s1023.photobucket.com/albums/af353/tommysixfour/?action=view&current=IMG_0176.jpg)

Gotthammer
08-04-2009, 10:36 AM
That's really really awesome - will you be doing stained glass for the windows?

Rahveel
08-04-2009, 11:24 AM
But as far as the towers are concerned, I should I extend the top of the ramparts over the shrine piece to recover that lost half inch of real estate (want to mount a Basilisk on top of each tower) and/or extend the piece outwards to where the Bastion's gunports would be and plasticard up the sides and base?

I would vote yes to this. looming ramparts feel very 40k! Very cool terrain by the way.

Xas
08-04-2009, 11:50 AM
i see no pics?

The Plastic Surgeon
08-04-2009, 12:06 PM
Stained glass? Hmmm maybe not for this one, I'm still trying to figure out what to put in them as this is meant to be a Bastion afterall, so glass isn't very tough. But then again neither is a cathedral wall! I want to give it a more fortified look, as though the Imperials had landed and perhaps salvaged a big shrine and forified it with refab Bastion component?

Also, where should I put the landing pad? Remembering that I want 4 of these and a fifth one using the 4 x Aquila pieces that is one level taller. I should do a sketch of what I'm talking about!

Stay tuned!

Oh and looming rampart it is!

oni
08-04-2009, 12:27 PM
Are there supposed to be pictures in here somewhere? :confused:

The Plastic Surgeon
08-04-2009, 12:31 PM
That would be an affirmative. There are meant to be two big pictures. What are you seeing instead?

Ok fixed with Photobucket!

Dingareth
08-04-2009, 01:40 PM
That would be an affirmative. There are meant to be two big pictures. What are you seeing instead?

Nothing at all, either in your post or in the links you provided either time. I'm running Firefox on a Mac, anyone else having problems, or is it just Oni and I?

Valdore
08-04-2009, 02:47 PM
Well, they're not nothing, the pictures are showing up as 1x1 pixels for some reason!

Safari on mac, I'd advise using Photobucket, that's worked fine for me :)

Also, regarding the idea, it sounds fabulous, for the windows you could say that the stained glass is actually projected onto some sort of tough clear material, or that it is made from said tough material. As to the practicality of making them, that's easy enough, photoshop effects and acetates :p Though if the building is going to be enclosed then you might want to back the acetate with blank paper so you can actually see the images in the glass.

Slann
08-04-2009, 04:37 PM
yeah no pics

MrMike85
08-04-2009, 04:59 PM
Awesome Pics!!!

Le Scriv
08-04-2009, 05:11 PM
Amazing! I've been wanting to do something like this ever since I saw the bastion and Aquila buildings but it won't be cheap!

Perhaps it's worth looking at some medieval castle pictures like http://www.irtc.org/ftp/pub/stills/2001-04-30/castle31.jpg to see how banners and flags are hung (or just play some Assassins Creed). I think something like this would look awesome covered in banners, flags etc!

The Plastic Surgeon
08-04-2009, 07:31 PM
So you Mac users can't see the pics on Firefox AND Safari? Well get a bloody PROPER computer then! JK! I'm typing this on my beloved MBP using Firefox 3 for Mac and I can see the pics....

Oh wait where did my Gallery go? I saw them just then and now with a reload they're gone!

This is very weird. I'll photobucket it and try that!

Teh_Frm4terer
08-04-2009, 07:56 PM
Holy crap, these are awesome!
They fit so well, you'd think it was on purpose.

*shifty eyes*

Might steal this idea!

The Plastic Surgeon
08-04-2009, 07:59 PM
Steal away matey! Yeah they do fit very well, except that I had to dremel off a 5mm strip on the right hand side of the shrine piece to make it fit as well as it could. It still needs a bit of putty or preferably plasticard strip to make it a neat join.

Valdore
08-04-2009, 08:29 PM
Nice work mate, just remember that you'll want doors onto the bunker level.

Other than that, maybe some work on the join between the shrine and bastion pieces, but other than that, looks nice.

The Plastic Surgeon
08-05-2009, 05:16 AM
Ok just went out and bought another 4 Bastions today... I'm nuts I know.

Will be playng around with several combo's on the weekend, very inclined to do a Flakturm like superstructure or the 5 x 5 (bastion sections, not feet!) base with the towers config.

Will post updates in a couple of days hopefully! Thanks for all the support and feedback guys! :)

vman
08-05-2009, 06:46 AM
Good stuff mate i really like it

Im waiting on my bastions to arrive from the UK

Plastic Surgeon ur names makes me laugh... im a huge Fallout fan so i totally get it

The Plastic Surgeon
08-06-2009, 01:19 AM
Good stuff mate i really like it

Im waiting on my bastions to arrive from the UK

Plastic Surgeon ur names makes me laugh... im a huge Fallout fan so i totally get it

Why thank you VMAN, I'm a huge Fallout fan myself (avatar being a dead give away!) but I only just got YOUR take on it. My take was that I am known in my group to be the one who can perform surgery on tanks, specifically completely screwed up tanks to bring them back to normal. Tanks that kiddies build as I work casual at a GW store and lots of kiddies bring in their latest and greatest tanks that we asked them not to attempt to build at home but to ask us for help. I had a Land Raider last weekend that had the tracks in the wrong order so he couldn't complete the set and had one LONG stretch left over, lascannon sponsons permanently glued upside down and pointed outwards like wings with the targeters aiming at its own hull and that's the short of of it! It was also covered in glue. Lots of it. Now try fixing THAT. I did it, so they called me the Plastic Surgeon.

LOL :p

I think I've finally got a handle on what I want and can do with this tower concept, will try something like I said later this week.

Lord Inquisitor
08-06-2009, 07:50 AM
Mybe have the landing pad on top in the middle. Or is some sort of courtyard in the middle of the castle with a gate to get out from.