PDA

View Full Version : 2000pt Guard/Heretic Force

Kuhlbert
02-21-2010, 01:16 AM
My son and I (he's 13) have been playing 40k together for 3 years now... its something that we both really enjoy, and can do together. One of the things we love doing is playing in doubles tournaments. Most of the games we've been to don't care about the teams - thus my Black Templars somehow team up with his Chaos Space Marines (oh, the indignity!) and we have a lot of fun.

But some of the events we are doing this year are using the allies matrix - thus my BTs cannot take the field with his CSMs. I have taken it upon myself, then, to make a new army (it's an excellent excuse for my wife... "but honey, unless I get new models, I can't play in the tournament with him...". Of course, she sees past this, but indulges me) - and I've chosen Guard. This is an army that can be either "good" or "evil", by being loyalist or traitor. Very flexible :)

Here's my first attempt, I'm trying for a flexible and yet hard-hitting force. Obviously, they have fallen to Tzeench...

2000pts

1x Company Command Squad @ 140pts (Medi-pack, 3x Plasma, krak grenades, plasma pistol)
1x Primaris Psyker @ 70pts (will join CCS)

2x Psyker Battle Squad @ 110pts each (5x extra psykers)

2x Veteran @100pts each (3x Melta)
2x Veteran @ 85pts each (3x Flamer)
2x Veteran @ 95pts each (3x GL, 1xAC weapon team)

3x Armored Sentinel (not in squadron) @ 80pts each (Plasma Cannon)

2x Leman Russ Executioner (not in squadron) @ 230pts each (Hvy Flamer, Plasma sponsons)
1x Ordnance Squadron @ 310pts ( 2xMedusa with Bastion-breachers, hvy flamer, and enclosed)

86x men, 7x vehicles, 9x plasma cannons :). Psykers, Meltas, and Medusas to deal with armor - men, sentinels, and executioners to deal with everyone else. Thoughts?

SlavesToDarkness
02-22-2010, 12:33 PM
My biggest issue with this list is its lack of mobility and high kill-point value. You have lots of Veterans, but would be better served by mounting some of the veteran squads (and the psyker squads) in Chimeras - otherwise they are just rapid-fire bait. Likewise, the lack of transports will hurt your ability to take objectives.

Maybe drop some veteran squads, mount the others and pick up a big "blob" platoon with a comissar.

Kuhlbert
02-22-2010, 12:57 PM
Yeah, i thought about the mobility issue myself - but kinda spaced out on the kill points. Good catch.

Dropping the Flamer vets would give me 3xChimeras - i could also drop a Sentinel and get 1 more (plus some spare points) - this would let me put the PBS and Melta Vets in rides. Since the GL vets with ACs were intended to be my backfield objective holders, they don't need them... It might be nice to give the CCS a ride, but in order to do that, I'd have to give up something more...not sure what.

And I don't really want to go with a blob platoon with a Commissar - mainly because I don't want a Commissar :) I would think that a heretic army would kill of their Commissars :) I realize its a fluff reason - but I try to make my armies fluffy-yet-playable...