PDA

View Full Version : Help out a new player?

Soundgear
08-04-2009, 10:35 AM
I am "new" to the hobby (haven't played since 2nd edition), and I am looking for some nice folks in the DFW area who might be willing to help me learn the game. I have 5e, have read it, and just need to put it in action on a table. I would love to game, just don't have anyone will to teach when I do things wrong.

About Me: Got into the hobby back when I received Space Hulk (1st ed, still have it!) for Christmas. Loved playing it, and started painting. I have played various war games & RPGs ever since. I am an intelligent person with a technical job and very capable of learning new things quickly.

About My Armies: I currently have 1 full battle company of ultras, various tank support, and light vehicles. All are primed ultra blue, if not fully painted yet. All are GW, and I do not proxy (I like collecting models). I also have about 1500 pts of Wolves from my old days, and roughly 2000 pts of CSM and 2000 pts of Orks I have won in drawings at the local GW. All my models are primed, and in various stages of paint, from base coat to a nice tabletop standard.

Bonus! I bring terrain too!: I collect terrain as well (started as a painter, like dioramas), and will bring any terrain needed. I have stuff from the new Planetstrike release all the way back to 2nd ed cardboard ruins.

Additional Info: I bath, regularly. I do smoke, but do it outside. I like to have a beer, just not 30 of them. I have been told I am quite funny, and I don't mind losing while learning, just as long as you are willing to offer up some advise on how to better my deployment, which units are wasteful point sinks, and which units not to assault with scouts :)

If you think that you might be kind enough to help out a new player, please reply back to shoot me a PM. Thank you very much for your consideration.

CrusherJoe
08-05-2009, 05:48 AM
Hey Soundgear! Well for one thing, you could come to Austin on a Thursday evening and visit Battleforge Games to soak up table after table of 40K games in progress. The vast majority of the players there are very "noob friendly" and most of them are willing to help you learn the game by playing it.

Now, I realize that driving to Austin on a Thursday evening is pretty far-fetdche. So that leaves doing some local digging/exploring. I'm pretty sure DFW has a GW store or two, and if not I know for sure there's some great FLGS's in the area. Find one close, drop in and ask the staff if there's an evening when players get together for 40K. More than likely they'll say, "Yes, there is..." and you're in business.

Majorcrash
08-05-2009, 07:07 AM
I am "new" to the hobby (haven't played since 2nd edition), and I am looking for some nice folks in the DFW area who might be willing to help me learn the game. I have 5e, have read it, and just need to put it in action on a table. I would love to game, just don't have anyone will to teach when I do things wrong.

About Me: Got into the hobby back when I received Space Hulk (1st ed, still have it!) for Christmas. Loved playing it, and started painting. I have played various war games & RPGs ever since. I am an intelligent person with a technical job and very capable of learning new things quickly.

About My Armies: I currently have 1 full battle company of ultras, various tank support, and light vehicles. All are primed ultra blue, if not fully painted yet. All are GW, and I do not proxy (I like collecting models). I also have about 1500 pts of Wolves from my old days, and roughly 2000 pts of CSM and 2000 pts of Orks I have won in drawings at the local GW. All my models are primed, and in various stages of paint, from base coat to a nice tabletop standard.

Bonus! I bring terrain too!: I collect terrain as well (started as a painter, like dioramas), and will bring any terrain needed. I have stuff from the new Planetstrike release all the way back to 2nd ed cardboard ruins.

Additional Info: I bath, regularly. I do smoke, but do it outside. I like to have a beer, just not 30 of them. I have been told I am quite funny, and I don't mind losing while learning, just as long as you are willing to offer up some advise on how to better my deployment, which units are wasteful point sinks, and which units not to assault with scouts :)

If you think that you might be kind enough to help out a new player, please reply back to shoot me a PM. Thank you very much for your consideration.

so you limit yourself to 29, but seriously the guy who posted last has it right. I was part of an organized gaming club had our own place and all. They went off for a different game leaving GW games behind. I had to start all over looking , playing at GW stores.

ZenPaladin
08-05-2009, 10:05 AM
Hmm. Well Im in Garland and I don't mind helping a new player. I'm fairly up on the rules but not perfect. (who is?)

There are two GW stores that I know of. Not exactly sure of the locations. The GW main website might help. I've only been to them a few times. The Games Asylum in Garland holds 40K night every Thursday and I play up there a every so often.

I know they play at Hobby Town in Plano I think as well but I'm not sure of the times. The Lone Star's across the Plex are holding a low point new player friendly tournament every saturday of the month of August. I'm entered in that curently and will probibly be at the plano store this saturday.

Soundgear
08-05-2009, 10:28 AM
I would appreciate any help I could get. I know there is a GW store in the Grapevine Mills Mall, and I visit it often, but it is a very small and crowded space, and the crowd there is a little weird, at least when I have had occasion to visit.

I didn't realize that Lone Star was still doing anything with 40k. I'll have to stop by Plano and see what the crowd is like.

JuiceSpringsteen!
08-05-2009, 10:46 AM
There is also a GW in frisco that just opened up. They are much roomier than the Grapevine store. Its in the shopping center behind IKEA, but i forgot the exact adress. Its right next to a Cotton Patch Cafe and Gehngis Grill(which is delicious). There is also a FLGS a hop skip and a jump away from the GW in grapevine mills. On Main Street on grapevine, Area 51 opened up probably a year ago and has become very popular. At 2:00, on a friday, there were at least 40 people there the other day. The staff is very freindly there. Ill be at Grapevine mills on Thursday (its never crowded then) and at Frisco on Saturday all day if you want to get a game in. Im no great player as im just getting back into the game my self, but im always willing to play too!

crazyredpraetorian
08-05-2009, 03:46 PM
so you limit yourself to 29, but seriously the guy who posted last has it right. I was part of an organized gaming club had our own place and all. They went off for a different game leaving GW games behind. I had to start all over looking , playing at GW stores.

Sounds like Adeptus Ineptus.