PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew Heroes 2: Ionas the White

Sir Biscuit
02-21-2010, 02:39 PM
Link to part 1 (http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=5056)

Continuing the tradition of one-unit-atta-time, he's my second. I'm interested to know your thoughts, specifically on how he should be costed.

Even before his induction into the Iron Knights space marine chapter, Ionas the Avenger was a man to be feared. A pirate king who had stolen the Redemption of Angels, the vessel of a Rouge Trader; he had traveled the stars seeking out the finest warriors to test his skill against. Across the galaxy were reports of the Redemption of Angels; swooping into imperial battle zones, boarding the fiercest ships, and mysteriously vanishing once again. This continued for many years, until Ionas appeared on Brycantia, demanding to face the champions of the Iron Knights.

Needless to say, he suffered a defeat in these duels, though he impressed those assembled with his mastery of the sword and fierce determination. An offer was made to be part of the Chapter, and he accepted. As a space marine, then company champion, Ionas still fiercely sought out the most vicious opponents to test himself against. His way of fighting was one of winning at all costs, despite any injury.

Ionas finally met his match on the world of Vandis, where he was struck down with visions of madness by the former master of the Redeemer's chapter, a mysterious figure only known as The Prophet. As he convulsed on the ground, blood spewing from his mangled mouth, Ionas proved himself one worthy of the Void... for when confronted with the full scale of his microscopic existence and pointless actions, he showed not panic, but understanding. The Prophet returned with the broken Ionas to his flagship, and rebuilt him into his champion.

Now, no longer Ionas the Avenger, but Ionas the White, he takes the battlefield with an glee restrained too long. He uses his millennia of experience to turn battles into meatgrinders, where only the very strongest may survive. Armed with the Blade of Sundered Realities, and accompanied by the fearless warriors of the Redeemers, he spreads the word and death in equal measure.
The voice of the prophet; Ionas the White
185 Points
<table border="1"><tr><td>WS</td><td>BS</td><td>S</td><td>T</td><td>W</td><td>I</td><td>A</td><td>LD</td><td>SV</td></tr><tr><td>7</td><td>5</td><td>4</td><td>4</td><td>3</td><td>5</td><td>4</td><td>10</td><td>2+</td></tr></table>
Wargear:
Artificer Armor
Blade of Sundered Realities
Power Sword
Frag Grenades
Krak Grenades
Mark of the Void

Special Rules:
Independent Character
5+ Invulnerable Save
Fearless
Kill or Be Killed

Additional Rules:
The Blade of Sundered realities is not a sword, though it appears as such, but instead a powerful portal generator that rends real space and the immaterium, opening a sliver into the void. Those touched by it are consumed, their very souls rent and destroyed. Only the very strongest survive.
This is a power weapon that strikes at strength 10, and always inflicts Instant Death. Instead of comparing the strength of the attack against a units toughness value, use their leadership value instead. Against vehicles, this weapon rolls 2d6+6 for penetration.
Kill or Be Killed
Any unit Ionas joins gains the Fearless universal special rule. Any enemy unit that Ionas or his unit are engaged in an assault with gains the Fearless universal special rule.
In any assault that Ionas is part of, wound inflicted by the No Retreat! rule ignore all armor saves.
Face me, coward!
Ionas lives for the moment when he may face the champion of an enemy army. Whenever Ionas is engaged with a unit that includes an independent character, that independent character is moved into base to base contact with Ionas. In addition, any attacks Ionas allocates against an HQ unit benefit from the Preferred Enemy universal special rule.

In addition, this is the Mark of the Void, to give you a better idea of how the infantry part of the army operates. This mark can be taken by any unit that would normally be allowed to take any other mark of chaos.
New wargear options:
Those blessed with the gift of the void have been allowed to see glimpses of its true nature, and are well schooled in the Prophet's truth. These souls warp the very world around them, confusing enemies with horrific vision, and making bullets and blades disappear into parts unknown.
Mark of the Void 10 Points
Any unit with the Mark of the Void modifies the leadership of any unit they are engaged in an assault with by -1. In addition, all units with this mark may choose to re-roll one die per phase.

Note that this mark, unlike other Chaos marks, does not bestow the Fearless universal special rule.

Atrotos
02-21-2010, 07:58 PM
Additional Rules:
The Blade of Sundered realities is not a sword, though it appears as such, but instead a powerful portal generator that rends real space and the immaterium, opening a sliver into the void. Those touched by it are consumed, their very souls rent and destroyed. Only the very strongest survive.
This is a power weapon that strikes at strength 10, and always inflicts Instant Death. Instead of comparing the strength of the attack against a units toughness value, use their leadership value instead. Against vehicles, this weapon rolls 2d6+6 for penetration.

Um.... Epic.

Kill or Be Killed
Any unit Ionas joins gains the Fearless universal special rule. Any enemy unit that Ionas or his unit are engaged in an assault with gains the Fearless universal special rule.
In any assault that Ionas is part of, wound inflicted by the No Retreat! rule ignore all armor saves.

Very Interesting. You've manipulated the Feerless special rule here to get it to do what you want fluff-wise. I wish more special rules were like these but I don't envy you the task of trying to figure how much something like this should cost.

In addition, this is the Mark of the Void, to give you a better idea of how the infantry part of the army operates. This mark can be taken by any unit that would normally be allowed to take any other mark of chaos.
New wargear options:
Those blessed with the gift of the void have been allowed to see glimpses of its true nature, and are well schooled in the Prophet's truth. These souls warp the very world around them, confusing enemies with horrific vision, and making bullets and blades disappear into parts unknown.
Mark of the Void 25 Points
Any unit with the Mark of the Void modifies the leadership of any unit they are engaged in an assault with by -1. In addition, all units with this mark may choose to re-roll one die per phase.

Note that this mark, unlike other Chaos marks, does not bestow the Fearless universal special rule.

I still disagree with using the Chaos Codex, it's lifeless and restricting and so many of its units don't fit what you're trying to do here. This rule could have fit in really well as a Chapter Tactic.

Points for this guy is really tricky. If it weren't for his extra-ordinary stats (why does he have 4 wounds?) I'd say he's over-costed at present. Even with these stats I'd say he should be around 150.

I'd love to see your work posted on Rules Manufactorum. Threads such as these don't get the attention and, I dare say, respect, they deserve. The point of the blog is to change the way people feel about homebrew stuff by presenting them with good quality material like this. PM me.

Master Bryss
02-22-2010, 11:17 AM
I too would like to see your stuff on the site, as currently it just seems to be Atrotos and myself doing all the hard work.

I would also like to thank you for giving me a code for the table I can copy, paste and edit instead of working out how to do it myself. I can now post the Raxian Stormtroopers, which I would like feedback on before I finish the Angels of Secrecy book off.

Sir Biscuit
02-22-2010, 08:08 PM
No problem on the table. I'm here to help.

Questioning the wounds was a good point, after last game we dropped him back to three, he has enough ablative wounds from whatever unit he's joined. In addition, there's no way he's overcosted. 150 points is less than most Chaos Lords cost after upgrades, and he's significantly better. Going off the kind of pricing in the new codices, he's somewhere between 190 and 230 points.

Atrotos
02-22-2010, 09:36 PM
I can't remember the last time I saw anyone using a Chaos Lord - way overcosted compared to the Daemon Prince entry (and just about anything else). The Avatar of Khaine and Yriel are about 150 points and have better CC capability. You've got him costed the same as Vulkan and Vulkan is far, far better.

It's no use comparing the cost to old or rarely used units. You want the rules you write to be competitive so compare them to competitive choices. A CCS with Straken (popular choice) starts at 145 and could hold its own against this character.

Sir Biscuit
02-23-2010, 03:55 PM
Well Vulkan's not that much better, and Ionas can actually take him in a stand up fight. Way I figure, I pay about 100 points for the statline, basic gear, and the invuln save. 15 points for artificer armor, around 40 for the Blade, 10 for Mark of the Void, and about 30 for his Kill or Be Killed ability.

Point costing is not all about stand-up melee power. When this guy is grouped with terminators or other heavy melee units it becomes murderous. His value exceeds his killing ability, as it is with most heroes.

You are right though, he's underperformed in both playtest games at this cost. New ability added to try and make up for his lack of rawk.