PDA

View Full Version : Armada Available Now.

Mr Mystery
03-26-2015, 09:30 AM
Yep, it's finally hit.

Afraid I'm going to give it a miss until I've tried the game play.

Wasn't terribly impressed by the models I saw.

Houghten
03-27-2015, 01:04 AM
After all that hype?

Mr Mystery
03-27-2015, 02:47 AM
Yep.

Just saw a game set up, and felt 'meh'

Which is quite unlike me, as I'm normally pretty rabid about stuff!

Houghten
03-27-2015, 03:29 AM
Welp. More money to spend on X-Wing!

What was going to be an Impstar can now be a full flight of TIE Defenders...

Mr Mystery
03-27-2015, 06:07 PM
Please don't just take my word for it!

Do check it out for yourself. I only have an opinion like.

40kGamer
03-29-2015, 07:15 PM
Ordered a couple sets to give it a go. Capital ship combat in the Star Wars universe is just too sweet for me to pass up.

Erik Setzer
03-29-2015, 09:17 PM
I want to give it a go, but I think I should play some regular X-Wing for now. I have the core box for it but haven't had a chance to give it a try. Some of the guys I play with are thinking of playing some days at a regular ol' FLGS rather than the Games Workshop store, so I'm likely going to be transferring some of my hobby spending into games like X-Wing and possibly Armada (especially as I really miss Battlefleet Gothic).

40kGamer
03-30-2015, 11:47 AM
X-wing is a great little game. Lot's of fast furious dogfighting fun. Honestly I still marginally prefer Aeronautica Imperialis in that you get the added flavor of 3 dimensional dogfights but I digress...

Armada looks to be more plodding and strategic. Having to plan multiple maneuvers for the big capital ships is just a cool mechanic. They have definitely managed to create a game that provides a very different playing experience.

Brenlak
03-30-2015, 02:46 PM
Any recommended sites to watch a game being played? (Gotta admit I'm being lazy and haven't even looked for myself yet, haha.)

I have to say I lost excitement over this one due to the last thread (though I guess that's more Amazons fault), and I am way more excited for Scum! I will own 4 IG-2000s before I get the Armada, especially if what Mystery said about the detail is true.

Mr Mystery
03-30-2015, 02:51 PM
Please don't just take my word for it. I may have seen duff ones sent out to Esdevium as a 'factory second' purely for demo purposes.

Have a squint yourself, you may disagree entirely!

40kGamer
03-30-2015, 02:55 PM
Any recommended sites to watch a game being played? (Gotta admit I'm being lazy and haven't even looked for myself yet, haha.)

I have to say I lost excitement over this one due to the last thread (though I guess that's more Amazons fault), and I am way more excited for Scum! I will own 4 IG-2000s before I get the Armada, especially if what Mystery said about the detail is true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrxO1t9wY10

This is the Gencon demo from last year but it gives a pretty good idea. Mine should be here Wednesday. The fact that I can't actually play for 2 weeks due to work is pure hell!

Mr Mystery
03-30-2015, 03:03 PM
Sympathy here, dude.

Got my Mechanicus ordered, but can't collect for over a fortnight!

40kGamer
03-30-2015, 03:07 PM
Sympathy here, dude.

Got my Mechanicus ordered, but can't collect for over a fortnight!

That's just wrong.... so wrong. :(

Mr Mystery
03-30-2015, 03:11 PM
Family thing up in Scotland this weekend, piss up in Nottingham (of all places!) weekend after, and due to working hours I'll be unlikely to get into the shop to collect on the Thursdays.

40kGamer
03-30-2015, 03:19 PM
Hopefully it's at least a fun family thing. I still have 50+ tax filings to finish up before the April 15th deadline. I could just barf.

Mr Mystery
03-30-2015, 03:24 PM
Aunt and Uncle's 40th Anniversary.......IN EDINBURGH ZOO!

40kGamer
03-30-2015, 03:37 PM
That sure beats what I'll be doing! ;)

Mr Mystery
03-30-2015, 03:42 PM
Not been to Edinburgh Zoo for around 25 years....looking forward to it!

40kGamer
03-30-2015, 03:45 PM
Sounds ace! To the best of my knowledge and our family records no one from my clan has set foot in the homeland in around 2 centuries. Maybe time for a road trip! :p

Brenlak
03-30-2015, 04:25 PM
Canada stopped putting people in zoos years ago...

Brenlak
03-30-2015, 10:01 PM
Well I just watched the video and it looks like a pretty keen game.

No maneuver dial no defense dice shoot first then move!?! Well its gonna have a way different play style to it.
So it looks like the three colors of dice all represent different weapon types? It would be cool if you can get the mat they were using.
I really thought it was cool how squadrons are moved out of the way by the player not moving the ship, you want to watch your maneuvers lest your opponent get to bugger up where the ships are, so it's good you can play with the measure stick before moving.

At first I thought that would be the big gimmick of the game (Cuz they are different from anything else I have ever seen, except maybe the measure stick from Doomfleet) but now it looks like the action cup is what the game is all about. Having to assign them at the start of the game means you better have a plan when going in, also those refresh abilities (like reassign damage) look important too (Till the blue dice get going!)

Average sized game is 300 points, definitely gonna cost more than X-Wing (Does anyone know what wave ships are going for?) and take longer too. I really liked how X-Wing is all to scale (Scaling issues are what make attack wing look like crap, not to mention the paint jobs, looks like I got that ship from a Kinder Suprise!) but Armada is not to scale yet I find I don't care, they try and get close plus it's a whole different set of game rules!

I gotta say though... Those grey cups they use for the actions are damned ugly nothing more pleasing than grey. Also I wasn't a big fan of the wound indicator on the Squadron bases it all seems so much less definitive when you can see all the numbers...

All in all my current view is that I will buy the Starter box and give it a go but I'm not gaga over it like I am for X-Wing you know? X-Wing is exciting like a pod race or a Puerto Rican with a wooden leg were Armada is slow and ponderous more like stuff that was going on in the background during all the cool dogfight scenes. But hey they barely scratched on how squadrons work in that video so maybe it will be more action packed than watching it looked like...

40kGamer
03-31-2015, 06:40 AM
You almost perfectly nailed my impressions of Armada. I like that it 'feels' like a capital ship game. I was never keen on attack wing just because I can't wrap my head around capital ships scooting around the board like fighters. (Also the model scale and quality was quite the turnoff). I think the fun factor for Armada will really take off when the Wave 1-2 ships trickle out. On a side note the little squadrons of 3 ships remind me of the X-wing game pieces from the old Destroy Death Star game I had as a wee one back in the 80's. Although these are far nicer models. :)

Brenlak
03-31-2015, 09:41 PM
I thought it was really cool how if you take the speed option in the wee grey cup it will increase or decrease your speed by one, and it stays there until you select the speed option again that is so cool!

Reminds me a bit of Battlefleet Gothic, though I only ever played a demo game. It was wicked when they used to do that.

40kGamer
04-05-2015, 05:02 PM
Starting to toy around with Armada this weekend. Had a chance o test paint a couple squadrons to see how the look. You can do quite a bit with the X-Wings especially. Thankfully it's a lot easier to get a reasonable look on the Ties. I'm really digging the game itself. Won't be 100% in until I get some time with gameplay but conceptually and visually I'm sold.

Mr Mystery
04-06-2015, 02:49 AM
I know it's terribly subjective, but how are the paint jobs on the capital ships?

Trying to figure out if I just saw a 'factory seconds' batch sent out for demo purposes?

40kGamer
04-06-2015, 06:26 AM
Roughly equivalent to X-Wing figures. There are plenty of juicy details on some of the larger capital ships. The little squadron ships are 'ok' although not as detailed as I had hoped. I think it will actually be a great game once the Wave 1 ships drop and we have more options and different squadrons.

40kGamer
04-06-2015, 06:41 AM
I can understand why FFG didn't paint the little squadron ships as they are a bit of a chore. Here's a first mock up of the one's in the box. Anyone else played around with the idea of painting these yet? The size is an issue but the biggest problem is most of the models have flash (some heavy) and many are warped! Before I get started with the others I should probably hit them with the boiling water.

http://i.imgur.com/eWkpUZ9.jpg?2

http://i.imgur.com/Gm5BnLj.jpg?2

Eberk
04-07-2015, 07:16 AM
I know it's terribly subjective, but how are the paint jobs on the capital ships?

Trying to figure out if I just saw a 'factory seconds' batch sent out for demo purposes?

I very much like the Victory class SD, that is a beautiful miniature.

The Nebulon-B is 'meh' at the most

The Corellian Corvette is nice but its very small size (for a "capital" ship) will take some getting used to (even if it is 'relatively' oversized)

I quite like the (unpainted) fighter models, there are so many of them in the Core set it really feels like a major fleet engagement. Detailed enough for gameplay.

Brenlak
04-08-2015, 09:39 PM
I saw it in the store the other day pricey little box...
Looking at it I was trying to figure out the price savings, shirley there must be a savings involved in this purchase?
Bam! It has like six TIE Squadrons in it.

One more good haul of Scum and I should be ready for this game.