PDA

View Full Version : [40k Review] Rynn’s World – Steve Parker

wittdooley
02-24-2010, 12:04 AM
For anyone even remotely involved in the 40k universe, the battles fought by the Space Marines against Xenos, heretic, and traitor are the focal point of many a discussion. We see references to great battles in all of the codecies, often hear our favorite characters refer to them in passing, and games have been made based on them. However, there was never really a series, aside from the Horus Heresy, that highlighted these epic and historically significant battles. With Steve Parker’s Rynn’s World, the Black Library introduces to the 40k universe the Space Marine Battles series.

Having not previously read any of Parker’s BL work (Rebel Winter & Gunheads), I didn’t quite know what to expect from the story, which gives its focus to the brothers of the Crimson Fists and their struggle to defend their homeworld, Rynn’s World. Primarily, the story focuses on three Astartes of the Crimson Fists: Chapter Master Pedro Kantor, 4th Company Captain Allesio “the Immortal” Cortez, and Captain of the 2nd Company Drigo Alvez and the struggles they go through defending their world from a massive Ork Waaagh!, led by a brutal and intelligent ork Warboss name Snagrod, Arch-Arsonist of Chadron.

To tell the tale, Parker breaks the novel up into three parts essentially pre-invasion, post-catastrophic event (which I won’t spoil here, as it caught me quite by surprise), and late-invasion/turning point. It works very well. Parker uses the first part to introduce the main characters and builds them well enough that we will care about them later on. His work on Kantor, Cortez, and imperial governess Maia Cagliestra is particularly good, as we’re shown quite a bit of breadth in characterization. Kantor and Cortez couldn’t be more different, the former being more stoic and even tempered, the latter being fiery and impulsive, which allows them to balance their friendship—which Parker details exceptionally well—throughout the novel. Their friendship, and the way it meshes and interferes with the chain of command is a nice thing to see, as Parker has obviously put some love into developing a believable relationship between the two Astartes. Cagliestra serves as a strong heroine in the novel, while her adoration of the Crimson Fists, and Kantor in general, is a nice addition showing an interesting relationship between human and Astartes.

That human/Astartes relationship is another facet of the book that Parker seems quite concerned with, and is an addition to the narrative that I can’t help but love. I’ve noticed a trend recently with many of the Black Library novels about Space Marines that has allowed the reader to see that the Astartes still have a human side and still form emotional relationships. Parker explores this through the Kantor/Cortez friendship, the Cagliestra/Kantor adoration, and further through the interactions the Crimson Fists have with the Rynnites they’re sworn to protect. I think the latter relationship is where Parker’s narrative really shines. I LIKE that many authors are showing the Astartes’ humanity. It makes the characters a lot more likeable. While the Crimson Fists are concerned with their chapter’s survival, Kantor realizes that they have no purpose without humanity to protect.

Throughout that protection of New Rynn City, Parker does give the blood-seeker some really great battle scenes, my favorite of which actually comes at the very beginning of the novel when we get to see some 10th company scouts doing a bit of Astartes wetwork. After those scenes, and after having read about Telion in Assault on Black Reach, I can’t help but think the scouts need their own book. Regardless, Parker does a really nice job of painting a hectic picture of a city under siege, often bloody and brutal, but not without some nice tactical touches thrown in.

The layout of the book is also something I really like. The cover is white with the title across the top, with a nice picture of the Allesio Cortez and his Crimson Fist brethren wrapping from front to back. On the spine is, again, the title, but also a silhouette of the Crimson Fist power armour, a trend I’m sure will continue in future additions to the series that will make it look great as a collection on a shelf. Also, others have stated that there were errors within the text that distracted them too much from the story. While there are a few typographic errors – a “form” where it should have been “from”—the errors are negligible and do not distract from the text past a second to correct your own reading.

Overall, I’m very excited about the Space Marines Battle series. With Rynn’s World, Steve Parker has created a very nice benchmark that I hope the future Space Marine Battles books can live up to. Parker had the unwelcome task of creating a unique and interesting story about a chapter that, aside from Kantor’s codex entry, didn’t have a whole lot written about it. He does a commendable job of establishing some canon for the Crimson Fists, all while spinning an enjoyable addition to the Black Library.

The Good
+ Great character development of Kantor & Co.
+ Excellent battle scenes that really depict a city under siege

The Bad
-- Lots of characters can be a bit confusing at first

MarneusCalgar
02-24-2010, 12:10 AM
Hope to read it soon!!

It´s not sold in spanish or either in english in Spain by now... So I will have to wait, as with Thousand sons!!

wittdooley
02-24-2010, 12:42 AM
I just started Thousand Sons. I'll have a review up by the end of the week. Based on what I've read so far, it's going to be stellar. McNeill really upped the ante with his writing.

gorepants
02-24-2010, 08:12 AM
Good review. Just finished it myself. So far this is probably my favourite of all the black library books I've read. Some things I'd add are:

Almost all of what happens in the book makes sense. This was missing in a big way from most of the Horus Heresy books where stuff seemed to happen just to move the plot along. Why is so this important here? Since this is one of the oldest 40K stories, and the plot overview has existed in several forms for over twenty years, Parker was a little restricted in what he could write. All of the original aspects are in there - not necessarilly in exactly the same form (Kantor isn't quite so arrogant to believe he's invunerable, but is still pretty surprised to have his a*** handed to him the orks, the catastophic malfunction is still just an unknown malfunction, there's even a battle at the farm!). It's also good to see that the marines need help to win.

The characterisation is also good. There is a depth to the marines, the confict duty and honour being well played. Also the confict between perceptions was done well - marines as heroes/monsters, the blinding xenophobia making things difficult for the imperials.

Related to both these is colour and language use. This is the most internally consistent 40K novel I've read since Watson's Space Marine (a little dated, but still a good read). Except for one or two places the language and imagery used were both consistent with the 40K mythos and with themselves.

This is particulary important for such a typed universe as 40K. Most novels fall into the generic sci-fi basket, or the slips-between-modern-and-typed-language basket. This second category is the most irritating, and isn't restricted to 40K - it's the curse of most pulp fantasy novels - but given the richness of 40Ks imagery it's surprising how bad the editing is on this (and the editors share a fair portion of this blame, especially for books by new authors - it's their job to fix this spot of thing).

rbryce
02-24-2010, 08:25 AM
The Bad
-- Lots of characters can be a bit confusing at first

dont start on the wheel of time then, hundreds so far, with at least 50-60 that you actually have to keep an eye on at all times, as some of the characters pretend to be other characters, who in turn could be someone else completely! good review BTW, dont read too much of the newer novels(glanced at some), as i like big meaty tomes lol

(and the editors share a fair portion of this blame, especially for books by new authors - it's their job to fix this spot of thing).

should fire yours too lol.(guessing intentional)

wittdooley
02-24-2010, 02:20 PM
dont start on the wheel of time then, hundreds so far, with at least 50-60 that you actually have to keep an eye on at all times, as some of the characters pretend to be other characters, who in turn could be someone else completely! good review BTW, dont read too much of the newer novels(glanced at some), as i like big meaty tomes lol

That critique is me trying to find something as a minus. I don't think any book is perfect, I think there are inherently struggles in every piece of literature, but I think Rynn's World is very good, so it was a bit harder for me to find a lot to critique, aside from the editing errors which didn't colour my review of the book at all, as it's an editing, rather than an author, error.

rbryce
02-24-2010, 02:30 PM
most definately not a criticism on yourself, or even the book(not read it yet, but now i may, after Tsons anywho). in fact, i love the reviews guys like yourself post up, it can be easy to forget in the painting/gaming/modelling that there are actually books out there to help us give back-story to our games. I love reading, so i tend to concentrate on that more than just about any of my other hobbies, and this sorta info is useful. Thanks mate ;)

(seriously, i know its not even remotely on topic, but if you get a chance to read the wheel of time, do it. epic fantasy at its best)

Pedro
02-24-2010, 02:51 PM
Great review Wittdooley. I also thought Rynns world was a great read and I am excited about the next books in the series being released. You said in your review that you think scouts should have their own book, well I have just finished reading sons of Dorn which is about a group of Imperial fists scouts going through their training, I would recommend this as it gives a real insight into the selection proccess and training regimes of new recruits.

imperialsavant
02-24-2010, 07:01 PM
:cool:
I have just started reading "Rynns World" & after 4 chapters I am wrapped. I enjoyed Parkers "Gunheads" but this novel is a big leap in quality. I hope the Helsreach one is as good (being a BT Player!)

I was really disapointed in "Sons of Dorn" I would have "terminated" the 3 main "charactors" during their testing if I had been the Librarian! About one Star only!:p

Dark_Templar
02-24-2010, 07:53 PM
I like the bit in the last chapter of Rynn's World where the Warboss gets a witchblade to the face.

gorepants
02-24-2010, 08:58 PM
should fire yours too lol.(guessing intentional)

yes... intentional... that or poor cutting and pasting skills. :(

...aside from the editing errors which didn't colour my review of the book at all, as it's an editing, rather than an author, error.

I wouldn't go too soft on these - the book is the sum of its authoring, editing and packaging. Especially since the Black Library is a book factory, and they seem to be cheaping out on the editing stage (like most GW printed material). Many books that were a little lacklustre could easily have been very good with a little polish, but were released half finished.

That said (and on-topic), it wasn't much of an issue in Rynn's World (and was dealt with well in your review).

wittdooley
02-24-2010, 10:14 PM
That said (and on-topic), it wasn't much of an issue in Rynn's World (and was dealt with well in your review).

Oh, completely agree. I was pretty forgiving with this one for one major reason: it's the first book in a new series, and I wouldn't be surprised if they had a new editor in charge of this series. In fact, I hope this is the issue, as there is no way it's fair for Nick Kyme to be both editing AND writing, particularly since his novels have been so, so solid.

I really appreciate all the kind words about the reviews. I'll give a little insight on the why, and my writing process. I started writing them because I have a writing degree and, as a teacher by trade, I don't get a lot of opportunities to do "me writing." This is where I get to and it's been really therapeutic. So don't worry, they'll keep coming. As for the writing process, one of the things I struggle with is writing reviews that are the kinds of reviews I'd want my students to write. I'm sure no one has ever bothered to notice this, and Lord knows you shouldn't, but I try to keep them all between 600-800 words, which is pretty close to industry standard for book reviews and is the standard I hold my students to. Because of that self imposed limit, I have to make sure I get what I want to say, and the actual REVIEW of the book, into the writing. As such, the 'general' format I use looks like this:

[1-2 Para] Intro

[1-2 Para] Summary

[5-8 Para] Actual Review/Critique

[1-2 Para] Summation/Verdict

I think it works pretty well, and again it's how I try and teach my kids to write reviews. I'm always concerned that people will think I don't summarize enough, but I do that purposefully; I don't want to spoil things for the reader, and to me a review is supposed to be mostly critique with just enough summary to give the reader a taste of the plot.

Anyways, that's just a little schpiel on why and how I write. No claims to be a pro at it, but I'm just glad you all enjoy reading them. Like I said, they'll keep coming, and as always, feel free for comments & critiques, or just things you'd like to see from and in future reviews.

pgarfunkle
02-25-2010, 04:26 AM
Great review, I'm just waiting for my copy of Thousand Sons to arrive in the post but look forward to reading your review for that book too.

After reading Rynn's World I'm looking forward to further books in the series and hope they can maintain the quality of the storytelling.

imperialsavant
03-11-2010, 12:37 AM
Finally finished reading this excellent book earlier this week & really did enjoy it. Quite a change from Steve Parkers IG novels & I thought he captured the Crimsons Fists as one of the most "Human" Chapters who actually cared about the people in their care. It was also great to see the attrition to the Marines as they fought their way to Rynn City. None of the "killed 2500 Orks with only one squad" stuff that popped up in Sons of Dorn etc.
Really hope the next offerings in this series are as good.

david5th
03-11-2010, 10:40 AM
Great book, can't wait for Helsreach.

pinchy
03-25-2010, 03:59 PM
Also, others have stated that there were errors within the text that distracted them too much from the story. While there are a few typographic errors – a “form” where it should have been “from”—the errors are negligible and do not distract from the text past a second to correct your own reading.

That's actually the only part of the review that I disagree with. Not so much the spelling type problems but when the author clearly mixed up some of the characters. Without wanting to spoil things the last part of the book gets confused and mixes up Alvez and Drakken which robs the story of the power and importance that it would otherwise have had and really jarred me out of the action causing me to flick back and confirm whether my recollection of what had happened was correct (which it was).

It was still a good and enjoyable book nevertheless, it's just that I feel it was really let down by the above (which while it should have been caught by the editors is still the authors fault and which did really harm the story for me) and also a few moments where the marines came off as being nothing more than petty or childish which was a little bit painful to read.