PDA

View Full Version : 'Take-on-all-comers', 1500 IG list

Tombworld
02-24-2010, 04:37 AM
Hello all!
Short and sweet, here's how I plan to spend 1500 points on an IG army designed to be competitive against any enemy force. I'll explain my choices after the list:

Heavy Support:
Leman Russ Battle Tank
Leman Russ Battle Tank
Leman Russ Eradicator

Fast Attack:
Vendetta (Or Valkyrie with Rocket pods)
Vendetta (Or Valk W/RP's)

Troops:
Veterans, Chimera W/Turret Multi-Laser (ML) and Hull Heavy Flamer (HF), 3xMelta Guns, shotguns
Vets, Chimera (W/ML, HF), 3xMelta Guns, shotguns

Platoon Command Squad w/Chimera (ML, HF), 4xFlamers
Infantry Squad W/Grenade Launcher and Auto-cannon
Infantry Squad W/Grenade Launcher and Auto-cannon

H.Q:
Company Command Squad W/4xPlasma Guns, Chimera (ML,HF)

Elite:
Guardsman Marbo

This tallies up to 1500 on the dot :) What I plan to do for the most part is sit back and hurl a lot of firepower at the enemy for the first few turns, ideally staying out of their range, then advance after the enemy's been trashed by a few turns of shock and awe!. I think long-medium-and-close range bases are covered, and I have some nice, fast-moving units with which to plug gaps while the gun-line of tanks, planes and infantry light up the enemy. HEre's a more detailed break-down of how I hope to use this list:

The tanks sit and shoot, and even if the enemy goes for cover, the eradicator will make it an option less worth-their-while. In all, I feel this combo of tanks can threaten pretty much any infantry threat, being effective against heavy Infantry with those high str/low AP battle-cannons, and also swarms, 'cos they're all big template weapons. I also like the looooong range which means I can shoot the enemy, but they can't shoot me!

The Chimera mounted units can rapidly react to any threats; if anything closes in through the barrage of fire-power, they can intercept, or they can stay close to the tanks if there's a big threat of deep-striking nastiness, ready to get in the way of whatever will undoubtedly by trying to hurt my tanks!

The Vendettas will pour on that twin-linked las-cannon fire, and hopefully stay out of range of the enemies retaliation. They could be very effective termie, transport, tank or Monsterous creature killers. They'll also be ready later in the game to pick up the two infantry squads and ttransport them around for last-minute objective grabs, or do the same for any vets who may be stranded if their chimera's blown up. If needs be, if there's a big horde threat, it'd be no problem to exchange 'em for Valks, though the Leman Russes will be chucking out a lot of pie-plates of doom anyway.

The two Infantry Squads will begin dis-embarked, ready to fire down range with their Auto-cannons, or rush to close-by objectives, or stay close to the tanks to mess up enemy plans to deep-strike or outflank them to get to that squishy rear armour. The CCS will try to stay close to help with orders, but scoot around if necessary to defend against deep-strikes, or go transport/heavy infantry-huntin'. The PCS will go after any hordes of infantry or dug-in opponents, acting as a cover-busting back-up for the Eradicator. Plus, the idea of a pyromaniac Officer and his crew is a lot of fun!

Marbo kinda makes up the points, but he's an unpredictable element for the enemy to consider, and there's always SOMETHING he can help with in a game!

Any feedback is entirely welcome!

karandras
02-24-2010, 07:22 AM
Looks pretty good. Well balanced. I haven't fielded or fought an Eradicator. Not sure what the points are on it, but I prefer a Punisher myself. Since I got it painted, I don't leave home without my Pask Punisher. It's 275 points as I field it, but there is just something too fun about putting out 30+ shots hitting on 3+ and rerolling failed wounds against MCs. It's the bane of the Tyranids!!! Pop up in my deployment zone and prepare to get shredded!!! Obviously, a medic would be nice in the Command Squad to help protect against gets hot rolls. Good luck.

Tynskel
02-24-2010, 01:49 PM
sweet, an eradicator!

Unholy_Martyr
02-24-2010, 02:14 PM
Pretty sick list, I would probably run one Vendetta one Valkyrie and test those out for your Gunship roles. I'm inclined to say all out CAS with the Valkyrie with Rocket Pods as it seems you need more help against horde than anything else. Then again, 3 Leman Russes should be able to handle all of that.

Tombworld
02-24-2010, 03:17 PM
So, sounds like the list's getting a lotta love :) Yeah, I'll mix-n-match the valks/vendettas, obviously they have different roles, so I'd be willing to chop and change 'em and see what works best.

BTW, big up to Georgia :) I've been to Fort Gordon a few times, I had a lot of fun in Augusta! But Savanna's THE place, I love ot there; my wife and I spent some of our honeymoon there!

I was actually thinking it'd be worth setting up a 'geek shop' with GW stuff and comics. Heck, there's a comic book shop on the base, and GW's products and D&D and the like are out there being sold in book shops and such placesf, seems like a dedicated geek shop could be a business plan that'd work. May still go for it in the future in fact! Whadya think?

Unholy_Martyr
02-24-2010, 10:41 PM
Depends, if you're talking about Augusta, its something of a tight market but I think you could pull it off. There's only one store that sells Games Workshop stuff in the area. Now Savannah, I think that's a whole different story. From what I've seen, there are quite a few more places out there. Not a bad idea though, would be a BIG investment though.

Grubbslinger
02-25-2010, 08:37 AM
I am inclined to say put the vets in the Vend/Valk and have your enitre infantry platoon in Chimeras. I say this because you don't really have that many troops. It would be better to keep them protected so you don't get hit hard and lose your ability to take objectives. Shock and awe! can work well but if they return your fire shot for shot, your going to run into trouble. Ohterwise, looks like a pretty solid list. Just make sure to keep your tanks safe, as they seem to be the life blood of the list.

Tombworld
02-27-2010, 07:19 AM
I did consider have valk mounted Vets. It's certainly a reasonable change to make, and one I'd certainly consider. But for now, I just intend to pound the enemy from afar. I should have enough scary, long-ranged weaponry to pound the enemy in such a way they have to come to me. Of course, if I face another gun-line, Valk-mounted vets would be an excellent choice. In fact, I did give thought to:
1) Mounting the meta-vets in Valkyries w/Rocket pods.
2) Trimming 20 point from somewhere (A plasma gun and a grenade launcher could be dropped)
3) Buying, with the points from the dropped chimeras and the additional bits, a Vendetta.
Then I have two Vet carrying Valks, and still have one vendetta for long range killage! The threat to the enemy would come from across the table, but with the Valks' scout move, there'd also be a powerful bunch of units right there causing havoc behind their lines! Just quickly, the list would look like this:

HQ:
CCS w/3xplasma guns, Chimera

Troops:
PCS w/4xflamers, chimera
Infantry squad W/autocannon, Grenade launcher
Infantry Squad W/Autocannon
Infantry squad w/autocannon, GL.
2xVeteran squads W/3xMelta Guns (Mounted in Valks)

Fast Attack:
2xValkyries w/rocket pods
1xVendetta

Heavy Support:
2xLR battle tanks
1x Eradicator

I can see big risk though; two of my vital troops choices are going to be right there amongst the enemy. They may cause some serious damage, but that's two troop choice almost being thrown away. I see that as quite risky. What I COULD do is replace Marbo with another AC/Grenade launcher squad. Then I have 6 troops choices; 2 being thrown into the heart of the enemy, and four that should be relatively safe.

In fact, I like this list! It's more interesting, and still has the strengths of the other list, but could make for a more fun game, and give me more tactical options. Also, the enemie's gotta decide if he's gonna go for the really deadly units right on his doorsetp, or the really deadly units that are blasting him from afar.

I don't know, however, if the benefits out-weigh the potential risks; if the other guy gets the first turn, those Valks and their cargo will be shot down very quickly. Also, the ordnance from my tanks could scatter to be as much a risk for the vets as for the enemy after they disembark! Further more, if the enemy assaults my vets (And it'd be easy for 'em to do that), I can't blast that entangled unit with my big guns.

wantmorork
10-29-2010, 06:54 PM
Love to see what my Boyz could do to that list. Never taking on an army with Valkyries. Do you still play in Augusta?

Flammenwerfer13
10-29-2010, 10:49 PM
Seriously? A Eradicator? Might as well just take a hellhound for cheaper points and almost the same threat range.

Let me clean up your list a bit so help you better focus what your trying to do. You want long range firepower stick with the twin-linked lascannons on the vendetta. Nothing says popping like twin-linked lascannons. Drop the eradicator its the wrong roll for a heavy support slot.

CCS: 4x Plasmaguns, Chimera with Multi Laser and Hullmounted Heavy Flamer

Troops:
Vet squad with 2x Meltaguns, 1x Plasmaguns, 5x Lasguns, 1x Laspistol, Chimera with turret Multi Laser and Hullmounted Heavy Flamer
Vet squad with 2x Meltaguns, 1x Plasmaguns, 5x Lasguns, 1x Laspistol, Chimera with turret Multi Laser and Hullmounted Heavy Flamer

Platoon:
PCS: with 4x Flamers Chimera with turret Heavy Flamer and Hullmounted Heavy Bolter
Infantry Squad inside a Vendetta
Infantry Squad inside a Vendetta
Hellhound with a Hullmounted Heavy Flamer and Smoke Launchers

Leman Russ Demolisher with a Hullmounted Heavy Flamer
Basilisk with a Hullmounted Heavy Flamer
Basilisk with a Hullmounted Heavy Flamer

Basilisk IS the best Heavy support choice for guard in game. Indirect or direct Strength 9 Ordnance AP3. Pop the Rhino with the Vendettas then lay down pie plates with the Basilisk. Shake and Bake. There is nothing on the board the Basilisk can't hit and this will first your opponent into cover slowing down his movement when he has a indirect round vaporize most of a marine squad and then pin them in the open. When you create a "all-comers list" what your really making is a Marine Killing list. Eradicator is nice on paper but the Hellhound does the job better for cheaper. Leman Russ is great but the Basilisk and Demolisher better fill in those rolls by changing the threat range around on them. Do they get close and eat Demolisher Rounds? or stay back and eat Basilisk rounds? All the while Vendettas (with a barebones squad to make them scoring) are popping transports all over the place. Your wondering why the Plasmaguns and Lasguns in the Vet Squads? You should NEVER disembak them and since your not set up for assalting then if you choice not to move the Chimera they're hiding in then they have a 24" range with 4 lasguns and 1 plasma gun at the least. Heavy Flamer Turret for the PCS chimera so you can always face the front armour to the enemy while you dump 5 flame templates on a poor squad they're going to burn off the table.

ElCheezus
11-01-2010, 04:27 PM
Flammen focused the list a bit, and I definitely agree about the Eradicator. It's pretty much better left on the shelf, if even ever assembled.

Some changes I think make the list a bit better:

Give the CCS 3 or 4 meltas instead of plasmas
Make the Vets all plasmas
give the PCS all Meltas
Make all Chimeras HHF and TML
Give one of the Squads a Commissar and PWs, if points allow
If you need more points, play around with your heavy options, things aren't what they seem, there.

Now your melta groups are throwaway. Their either cheap or non-scoring. Zoom them in first to crak the transports, remembering to send the CCS at whatever is more important; they can hop out and issue orders to themselves if necessary. The vets follow a bit behind and clean up. Since the meltas take more heat, the scoring Vets should have a better chance of living.

Your infantry squads can go in the Vendettas if you think they'll die right away, but you should deploy them to actually kill something otherwise. They're worth too much to go to waste like that, especially when you have the option to blob them and get some assaulting done. If you want a cheap unit to make a Vendetta scoring, use a SWS with flamers.

I think there's an issue with the proposed use of the Heavy slots. If you want to hang back, the Demolisher is the wrong choice. If you want to punish something for coming close, then fire the basilisks at it. They're large blast, BS 3. If they fire directly (which most artillery can), then the minimum range doesn't apply, and they have the exact same chances of hitting as any of the LRs. The only reason to take LRs at this point is the better armor, which is better served up front taking heat off of your chimeras. If you want to hang back, save points and take another Bassie, it'll buy points for the changes mentioned above.

Also, I love HB sponsons on Vendettas to make them more flexible, but that's entirely up to taste.

This looks pretty similar to a list I was running a few months ago, so I actually like most of it. What I've suggested are pretty much the tweaks I've come up with since.

Sorry for lack of points provided, I don't have a 'Dex on me.

Flammenwerfer13
11-02-2010, 12:59 AM
SWS or a barebones infantry squad are both 50. So cheap and throw away able. Plus guardsmen in the open with +5 armour save, no matter the amount die by the hand fulls.

I see your strategy and I guess at this point its half full/half empty. I'd prefer to play the denial game of shot and move and avoid assault with this list. Your Vendettas will have a better long term return in points value verse running your command squad up with 4x meltaguns. Your reliable going to hit 3-4 times yes but if your close enough to pop their transports th they're close enough to assault you. Ordnance and twin-lascannon fire to pop vehicles and then mop up everything with melta-plasma fire.

You can also switch the Demolisher for a Maticore giving you third indirect/direct strength 10 ordnance shot. Free up 5 points to use else were.

ElCheezus
11-02-2010, 10:08 AM
Actually, I agree with this last post, Flammen. I love me some Vendettas in the backfield, blowin' stuff up. In case of heavier armor, though, I think it's worth having a melta squad. Since you're taking an HQ anyway, and they don't score, I consider them the best option for a throwaway unit. They're usually in assault range if they shoot something, but ideally they've got the job done by then. 55pt Chimera, 80-90 point CCS = 145 pts for four meltas into a Land Raider, Leman Russ, or other AV13/14 target, and they'll make their points back. If they take too much fire, then that means your other armor (read: Vendettas) are still around to take out other things. If they die, you didn't even lose a scoring unit.

If you like to sit back and shoot, that works too, though. I just don't know any better way to use the CCS or HQ unit. I guess if you have HWT, you can give the HQ a LasCannon and sit back with orders and fire from there. Neither the list you or I put up can really take advantage of orders, though. Also, I just like to be more aggressive, and have another Chimera on the field. Hidden benefit to getting assaulted when you have artillery: they're usually pretty bunched up after an assault. pieplatesayswhat?

I like the Manticore better than the Demolisher in that list, too.

You're also probably right on the cheapness of SWS compared to the IS. However, a 21 man blob is a lot tougher than you think. If you sit in back guarding an objective, you've hopefully put that objective in or near cover. Oh, here's a way to use orders I didn't think of a paragraph ago. If you just camp them there and use "Incoming!" each turn, they'll have a 2+ cover. Try and get *that* off an objective. I can't remember, is there a penalty in assault if you were pinned when you get charged?

Nobody's mentioned Marbo in a while, but I'll support him as a cheap choice if you have the points at the end. He's usually worth it in one way or another. He shows up, nukes something with his Demo Charge, and then still can't be ignored. If you put him in cover when he comes in and go to ground, he'll have 2+ cover. Your opponent will probably blow a decent amount of fire on his measly 65 points that have probably already done their damage. If they ignore him, 6 attacks on the charge and MeltaBombs will teach them a lesson. In list buliding, though, I usually want something that will be more consistent through the whole game unless I have <100 pts left over.

Flammenwerfer13
11-02-2010, 12:22 PM
Marbo one problem is that he sits out in the open for a turn to get shot up. He's great against inexperience players but against a good player he's not that useful. Nothing a flamer can't fix and that seems to be a staple at least were I live. Flamers an Meltaguns. I prefer a Callidus Assassin myself but it fits better with my army.