PDA

View Full Version : 2000 point nid tourney list with strategy

gannam
02-24-2010, 01:48 PM
This list is all about reserves and forcing your opponent to have to think hard about target priority

HQ

Hive tyrant w wings, hive commander, paroxysm, leech essense, and TL devouer w brain leech 270 points.

This unit flys around with a gargoyle retinue and selects targets of oppurtunity

Tyranid prime w 2x bone swords 90 points

This is the main "horde" synapse creature commanding 2 squads of 20 hormagaunts. anti infantry and objective taking

Troops

9 x genestealers w broodlord with scything talons 188 points

This unit will be outflanking or infliltrating to take objective and deal with soft targets

20 x hormagaunts w toxin sacs 160 points

20 x hormagaunts w toxin sacs 160 points

These 2 units will be attached to the tyranid prime and make up the bulk of the army

Fast attack

10 x gargoyles 60 points

Simply to provide cover to the hive tyrant. 2 gargoyles can actually cover over 50% of the body of a tyrant

Elites

Doom of malantai w spore pod 130 points

duh

3x zoanthrope brood w spore pod 220 points

56% chance to pop a land raider. easy enough

3 x hive guard 150 points

A nice defensive unit and one of the few ranged units I will take

Heavy Support

Trygon prime 240

Trygon prime 240

Extremely good against vehichles and infantry. phycological unit and its a great backup synapse creature.

2 x biovore brood 90 points

This is my support unit. shooting across the board with spore mines. These things are great for taking out hordes and exposed units.

Papa Nurgle
03-01-2010, 08:06 PM
I love this list. I'm building something similar.

Tynskel
03-01-2010, 08:57 PM
Sounds like fun

Tynskel
03-01-2010, 09:18 PM
By the way- 62.8% chance to destroy a Land Raider the turn they come in. As long as the opponent cannot nullify the Psychic Power.

0.9166 (Chance to cast)*3 (# of shots)*2/3(to hit)*2/3(to penetrate)*1/2(to destroy) + 0.9166 (Chance to cast)*3 (# of shots)*2/3(to hit)*1/6(to glance)*1/6(to destroy) = 62.8%

gannam
03-01-2010, 10:08 PM
Thats some fancy mathhammer there buddy

Papa Nurgle
03-01-2010, 10:41 PM
By the way- 62.8% chance to destroy a Land Raider the turn they come in. As long as the opponent cannot nullify the Psychic Power.

0.9166 (Chance to cast)*3 (# of shots)*2/3(to hit)*2/3(to penetrate)*1/2(to destroy) + 0.9166 (Chance to cast)*3 (# of shots)*2/3(to hit)*1/6(to glance)*1/6(to destroy) = 62.8%

whoa.

Tynskel
03-02-2010, 03:04 AM
whoa.

I know my maths are not the best in the world... but I am pretty sure these are correct...

I am looking into the percentages vs. psychic hoods, but those are a little more complicated that just simple fraction/probability multiplication. Runic weapon is easy, however, just multiply the result by 1/2 (runic weapon nullifies on a 50/50)

mercer
03-02-2010, 07:31 AM
Your tyranid prime is gonig to hold the hormagaunts back. The gaunts roll 3D6 when running, the prime doesn't, and as the gaunts have fleet they can assault afterwards which gives this guys a possible 18" charge.

The gargoyles won't last 5 minutes you need more of them. I run 16 gargoyles and they have only survived 2 games, each time with only a handful left.

You don't need trygon primes as you have enough synapse creatures. Just give them adrenal glands for S7 7 attacks on the charge! :)

Fizyx
03-02-2010, 08:21 AM
I know my maths are not the best in the world... but I am pretty sure these are correct...

I am looking into the percentages vs. psychic hoods, but those are a little more complicated that just simple fraction/probability multiplication. Runic weapon is easy, however, just multiply the result by 1/2 (runic weapon nullifies on a 50/50)

This is the statistical average which also includes the chance of getting two and/or three wrecked results, skewing the average to the right. The actual chance of getting at least one wrecked result is much lower.

And the psychic hood has to take into account the leadership of the user (9 or 10) and also it is not a 1/2, but rather a 7/12 chance of passing the leadership +d6 roll-off.

Without a psychic hood each shot has a 22.06% chance of wrecking or exploding, so three shots would have a...

51.5% chance of at least one wreck
11.4% chance of two wrecks
1.07% chance of all three wrecking

With a psychic hood, the calculations are similar but each shot now has 22.06*(7/12) chance to get through, so..

33.9% chance of one wreck or higher
4.54% chance of two
0.21% chance of all three (also known as unlikely.)

If the hood bearer only has Ld 9, then the numbers will be somewhere in between.

Fizyx
03-02-2010, 08:38 AM
Your tyranid prime is gonig to hold the hormagaunts back. The gaunts roll 3D6 when running, the prime doesn't, and as the gaunts have fleet they can assault afterwards which gives this guys a possible 18" charge.

The gargoyles won't last 5 minutes you need more of them. I run 16 gargoyles and they have only survived 2 games, each time with only a handful left.

You don't need trygon primes as you have enough synapse creatures. Just give them adrenal glands for S7 7 attacks on the charge! :)

Agreed, but also add that Adrenal Glands give the Trygon I5 on the charge, which is not an insignificant advantage :D

Also, I frieking LOVE the list. Some minor changes I would make, but the overall theme is very well conceived.

-You need more Gargoyles for their intended purpose. They die like flies to any sort of gunfire. They will last one round, maybe two of bolter fire.

-Trygon Prime is very redundant. You have an Alpha for the Hormogaunts and the Tyrant for the Gargoyles, you don't need a back-up unless you have already lost. I would suggest dropping one of the Trygons and picking up a small brood of Warriors to roll with the Alpha. Now he will not slow down the Hormogaunts, but still stay within range and be in a squad for some protection.

-Hell, drop the alpha altogether and bring in some more warriors. The extra WS is nice, but not overly necessary. Boneswords + scything talons with toxin sacs + adrenal glands (for the I5) will do crazy things to MEQ. Hitting first (I5) WS5 (hit on 3's) Scything talons (re-roll 1's) S5 + toxin (75% chance to wound) with no armor save is phenomenal. Drop your Alpha and one of the Trygons, Drop the other Trygon to a regular guy with Adrenal Glands and you have enough points for 7 Warriors with toxin, Adrenal, Scything talons and Boneswords. Or take 6 and splurge for more gargoyles.

Also, have your Hormies start withing 12" of the Tyrant and use the Hive Commander to outflank the warriors! 4*7 = 28 WS5 (re-roll 1's,) I5, wound on 4's with a re-roll, no armor save attacks on the frieking FLANK. Seriously, this combined with your genestealers will have your opponent crapping his pants when you are rolling 3+ for reserves on turn 2.

Also, does anyone know why GW spells "Termagants" with no "u" and Hormogaunts with a "u?"

gannam
03-02-2010, 10:03 AM
Ok, I am making some changes to this army. Dropping the biovores completely as I don't have the synapse to control them.

I am also going to drop the tyranid prime and just take a squad of warriors with twin sything talons and out flank the whole bunch.

I kept the trygon primes not so much for the synapse, but for the extra 6 ranged attacks that they provide on the turn they come in. I also had enough points to give them both adrenal glands.

I am also dropping the gargoyle meat shield all together. This allows me to add in a 2nd group of gene stealers having 3 deadly troop units that can outflank and destroy vehicles in close combat. So here is the list after tweaking.

This list is all about reserves and forcing your opponent to have to think hard about target priority

HQ

Hive tyrant w wings, hive commander, paroxysm, leech essense, and TL devouer w brain leech 270 points.

This unit flys around and selects targets of oppurtunity

Troops

3 x warrior brood with 2 pairs of scything talons and adrenal glands. with

8 x genestealers w broodlord 172 points

8 x genestealers w broodlord 172 points

These 2 units will be outflanking or infliltrating to take objective and deal with soft targets

17 x hormagaunts w toxin sacs 160 points

18 x hormagaunts w toxin sacs 160 points

These 2 units will not be attached to anything. If they fail their leadership test rage will take care of what they are meant to do anyway. In the end game, they should fall back into synapse allowing objective contesting.

Elites

Doom of malantai w spore pod 130 points

duh

3x zoanthrope brood w spore pod 220 points

56% chance to pop a land raider. easy enough

3 x hive guard 150 points

A nice defensive unit and one of the few ranged units I will take

Heavy Support

Trygon prime w adrenal glands for str 7 ini 5 charges 240

Trygon prime w adrenal glands for str 7 ini 5 charges 240

Extremely good against vehicles and infantry. physiological unit and its a great backup synapse creature.