PDA

View Full Version : 1500 Point Imperial Guard Rapid Reaction Force

Unholy_Martyr
02-25-2010, 09:44 AM
Hello all, this is a list I put together after an exercise a few weeks back. The basis of it is that it is to be a rapidly deploying, all Valkyrie/Vendetta list using pure Veterans. Don't really think the list could be very competitive; however, I think that it has some promise for being a rather fun and fluffy unit. The list is as follows:

H.Q.

Company Command Squad:
4x Plasma, Carapace -130

Troops

Veterans
3x Melta -100

Veterans
3x Melta -100

Veterans
3x Melta -100

Veterans
3x Plasma, Carapace -145

Veterans
3x Plasma, Carapace -145

Fast Attack

Valkyrie 2x
Multiple Rocket Pods -260

Valkyrie 2x
Multiple Rocket Pods -260

Vendetta 2x
Standard Loadout -260

Total: 1500

Another possibility is forgoing the Plasma on the Command Squad and going with Melta instead, although I think 9 Melta Guns and 6 Twin Linked Lascannons is plenty in the Anti-Tank and Monstrous Creature role. Thoughts, comments, criticisms or suggestions?

ColCorbane
02-25-2010, 09:52 AM
I'd say very nasty, how do you plan to use it?

Lord Azaghul
02-25-2010, 09:54 AM
I'm really opposed to squading expensive vehicles. For the points you could try Al Harem in a mechinized platoon, with a couple of special weapon squads. I tried it the other night it was rather suprised how disruptive/effective it was. I've also been using Harker lately, for the one off out flanking vet squad.

Unholy_Martyr
02-25-2010, 10:06 AM
@ ColCorbane: I was thinking of Alpha Strike with having 2 of the Melta Vets and the Plasma Vets on the table with the Command Suad and last Melta Vet unit in reserve. First turn, Melta Vets move up after Scout move and everything else, jump out and unload on whatever armor there may be, have the Valkyries providing fire suppression for any nearby Infantry. In the later turns, running in with the Command Squad and last Melta Vet squad to mop up the left overs.

@ Lord Azaghul: I've been hesitant of doing the same as well; however, with the Valkyries being fast and the speed of this force, I'm not really concerned about losing a gunship to being Immobilized. With the amount of firepower being boasted by this force, I don't think there's going to be much left that can touch the Gunships at range which they will be moving 12" almost every turn. (Save for the occasional instance that the Vendetta's need to only move 6 for their Lascannons or if Turbo-boosting for last minute Objective ownage)

I've used an Al harem list in the past; however, I'm not very fond of the Mechanized approach and loathe Chimera's. To be honest, I think the only thing the chassis is good for is mounting a huge friggin' gun on the back of it, but that's just me.

Lord Azaghul
02-25-2010, 11:56 AM
Must we one of those 'around here' things.
In my area valks/vend get 1-2 round of shooting and are popped very quickly.
My chimera's seem to last a lot longer, depite the lower side armour.

Unholy_Martyr
02-25-2010, 12:10 PM
The biggest problem with Valkyrie and Vendetta Survivability is that people just don't maneuver them right. Look at the Eldar, Wave Serpents and Falcons are the same exact thing as them yet they have a higher survivability compared to that of the almighty Land Raider.

Turbo-boost when you need to, place them out of Line of Sight, take out the units that are the biggest threat. Yeah at 1500 Points someone could field 4-6 Squads of Melta Vets...are they going to touch the Gunships? No, you stay out of range. Hydra's a problem? Easy, use terrain to your advantage. Sure with the flying base it is almost impossible to obscure or even hope for the blocking of Line of Sight; however it is still possible.

Maturin
02-27-2010, 10:13 AM
My biggest question for you is - what if you're going second? Do you play with enough high terrain on the table to give 4 vendettas a cover save? I dislike relying on turbo-boosting because immobilized or destroyed = everyone dead. Coming on from reserve is the obvious answer - but that spreads out your forces an awful lot (except for Dawn of War).

Unholy_Martyr
02-28-2010, 08:36 PM
Deployment depends what type of scenario, deployment and opponent. If it's Dawn of War, I would Scout Move and demolish everything with firepower and move on. Again, this all depends on who it is. Would I want to be in the face of a Tyranid onslaught? Hell no, I would just keep moving and firing at every chance. Would I be in the face of a Land Raider rush? Yes, as I an confident with the combined fire of each unit, I wouldn't have any problem annihilating the Terminators inside.

I tested this list this weekend and out of 3 games, it did not take more than 2 turns to force my opponent to concede.

I'll put up some battle reports tomorrow at work as right now, I'm too damn tired to put forth the effort.