PDA

View Full Version : Orks... Need help

elrodogg
02-25-2010, 08:56 PM
So, I'm primarily a fantasy player, but my 5th ed experience is limited to about a dozen games playing as tau. I wanted to put together something based around the new killa kanz (they really are epic models).

I was thinking a list something along these lines.... thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Weirdboyz (warphead)
Mek Boy w/ Custom Force Field
20 Boyz, nob, klaw, bosspole, 2 rokkits
12 Boyz, nob, klaw, bosspole, trukk, red paint, stikkbomb
12 Boyz, nob, klaw, bosspole, trukk, red paint, stikkbomb
12 Lootas
3 Warbuggies w/ Rokkits
3 Warbuggies w/ Rokkits
3 Killa Kanz w/ Grotzookas

elrodogg
02-27-2010, 10:32 AM
Sad elrodogg gets no advice.

Chaosgerbil
02-27-2010, 11:03 AM
This is a very good foundation for a list and you could run it as written. I'd reccommend taking shoota boyz for your foot mobs if you have the models. At least one unit of kanz should get rokkits. While a Weirdboy belongs in a 20-30 strong shoota boy mob your Mek could use somewhere better to hide in, perhaps a battlewagon with deffrolla.

PedroKantor
03-02-2010, 02:42 PM
i agree this is a good foundation list... but anyone with some templates are going to eat you alive (even with the KFF)... but it always depends on how you are going to play it though. if you were to send those buggies and trukks right down your opponents throat and make them fire magnets, your boys should be able to get at least 2 turns of running in and that should get em into combat, then you probably have em. Also I did play a team last year at adepticon that ran that mass Killa Kan/Grotzooka list and I have to say it was pretty brutal... just so much to shoot at it that I couldn't kill enough before they over ran my lines and then it was over for me... Anyhow, I while I do like the Killa Kan idea (I have tons of the old metal ones) I have to disagree about the look of the new models... not a big fan, and really that was only cause the legs look way too much like sentinel legs to me. Hope your army building is coming along though!

Nabterayl
03-02-2010, 03:14 PM
I agree about this list as well. I'd actually recommend keeping the KFF mek with one of the boyz mobs - if you can do that, you should be able to ensure that your kanz get at least a 5+ cover save (4+ wherever you decide the mek should go), while they themselves give the boyz a 4+ cover save. Make sure the ladz maintain a decent interval and even a battle cannon should be killing about 2-3 boyz per hit - and if they do that, the kanz can murder anything that isn't boxed up. I can't get enough of my grotzookas for dealing with any and all infantry targets.

I'm not sure I agree about giving the kanz rokkits. The trouble with rokkit kanz is that they're only ever likely to get front shots, and that means a rokkit kan is really only useful against transports. If you see a lot of transports perhaps the extra rokkit volley would be worth it, but you've already got the six rokkit buggies and the lootaz for transport-busting purposes, with the trukks to tie up heavy weapons and keep enemy armor dancing.

EDIT: I should add, one of the things I like about what you've done here is that the list has a decent chance of being able to split up and still get the job done. You've got enough redundancy in the kanz, the buggies, and the trukks to be able to split into two attack columns and not have the whole thing automatically fall apart, which I think is good.

daveclark890
03-02-2010, 04:06 PM
I would make the big squads shooter boys, its amazing how many people dont rate shooter boys but when you roll 40 shots from 20 boys at least some of those are going to be failed saves!!

I would also stick the big mek in a trukk with 11 boys, his KFF gives trukks a 4+ cover save where as on foot he only gives a 5+ cover save!!

You are aware that takong a BIG MEK means that a deff dred counts as a troops choice so you could put 1 of them in.

I would drop the rokkits on the mobs, they are single shot. make them big shootas cos then your putting down extra shots. you dont need them to take out armour, thats what the klaws are for and thats why you pay the 25 points/ mob for them!!

I run a warboss and mek list which is:-

warboss with PK & 6 nobs with big choppas, banna and pain boy in trukk backed up by big mek with 11 boys with PK nob in another trukk and another trukk with 12 more boys inc a PK. in support i have 10 lootas and a mob of 20 shoot boys for holding my objective, 6 tank bustas with a looted wagon for them to trev around the table in and the final piece is a deffkopta with a buzz saw. this last unit is often discounted by even ork players but listen to this!! .... 24" scout move... 12" normal move... twin linked rokkit fires at target... 6" assault move followed by 4 attacks at strength 9 on the charge. Pick a nice armour target and on the first turn you got a charge off, this will make pretty much everything in his army drop a brown 1 and then he is paniking on how to take it down. he has just lost possibly 2 vehicles and now he has less stuff to shoot at your 4+ cover saved trukks which are turbo boosting 19" (red paint) ready for hitting his line next turn and ploughing straight through it!! :~)

Nabterayl
03-02-2010, 07:31 PM
the final piece is a deffkopta with a buzz saw. this last unit is often discounted by even ork players but listen to this!! .... 24" scout move... 12" normal move... twin linked rokkit fires at target... 6" assault move followed by 4 attacks at strength 9 on the charge. Pick a nice armour target and on the first turn you got a charge off, this will make pretty much everything in his army drop a brown 1 and then he is paniking on how to take it down. he has just lost possibly 2 vehicles and now he has less stuff to shoot at your 4+ cover saved trukks which are turbo boosting 19" (red paint) ready for hitting his line next turn and ploughing straight through it!! :~)
That's 3 attacks at Strength 7 on the charge. Still plenty good against most vehicles that haven't had a chance to move (I often run five rokkit koptaz myself, and always include a buzzsaw for the reasons you describe), but very different from 4 S9 attacks.

gcsmith
03-03-2010, 05:29 AM
Dave, like to see ur rockets against my army. either Your I1 in combat or against a horde. No vehicles with nids :p

mercer
03-03-2010, 06:40 AM
The warphead isn't a great HQ choice are unpredictable and can mess up your battle plans. I would replace with a second big mek with a KFF so you don't have to bunch up your entire army to be within 6" of the big mek, this would be heaven for templates!

Boyz need to be shootas and 30 strong to take enemy fire power as they're foot slogging. 20 boyz in the open will not last long.

Trukks are really naff and you're going to have problems with them. The trukks will zoom ahead while the rest of your army is foot slogging. Trukks and 12 orks won't last long.

12 lootas are ok but double the unit so you have 2 ranged threats now.

I find deffkopters are better than warbuggies for several reasons.

Kanz are ok

Hope that helps! :)

chrixter
03-03-2010, 07:44 AM
My 2 cents worth:

I belive that rokkits in boyz squads pretty useless - bs2 means that you may hit with one but too often miss altogether. Give then big shootas instead. After all - you plan to rip the mek apart with powerclaws after all (or take down with the lootas). The landraiders will be a pain but hopefully the warphead can do miracles.

The trukks. Two containg 12 boyz may be nice as rear guard/late game objective grabbers but they can't do anything "up front". This means that a bs on the trukk and one in the squad will provide some extra backfield firepower. They can also provide some protection for the lootas versus deepstrikers etc.

If possible crank up the lootas to 15 they have no access to a boss pole so a few hits and they are prone to run. Also, since they are stationary odds are that not all will be able to fire each round, naturally depending on terrain but don't expect your opponent to have any units ever in LOS without beeing in cover ;)

Warpheads are very very fun to play but a bit tricky. Important is to have them in a big shooty squad so that you can teleoport behins enemy lines and shoot something to really small bits :) Important thing is to have them at maximum distance from the rest of the unit as blowing up your own squad is annoying :)

Good luck! The list will be fun to play.

MarshalAdamar
03-03-2010, 10:04 AM
Big Mek w/ Heavy armor, Burna, cybork body, Kustom Force Field
Big Mek w/ Heavy armor, Power Klaw, cybork body, Kustom Force Field
30 shoota Boyz, Nob w/ Power klaw, heavy armor, boss pole, 3 big shootas
25 Boyz, Nob w/ Power klaw, heavy armor, boss pole
25 Boyz, Nob w/ Power klaw, heavy armor, boss pole
12 Boyz, Nob w/ Power klaw, heavy armor, boss pole, trukk, red paint, armor plates, reinforced ram, stikkbombz
12 Boyz, Nob w/ Power klaw, heavy armor, boss pole, trukk, red paint, armor plates, reinforced ram, stikkbombz
15 Lootas
2 Deff Dreads w/ 2 scorchas
3 Warbuggies w/ Rokkits
3 Killa Kanz w/ Rokkits

I kept the list pretty similar to the one you posted

I added another big Mek with KFF because you'll need the coverage to get your kanz and troops their cover save. Attach the Big Meks to the 30 man squad and another 25 man squad to keep them safe.

I took the Rokkits out of the boyz mob since you'll want to run them EVERY turn to get them into close combat as soon as possible so they won't have a chance to use the Rokkits.

I took out one mob of boyz and rolled them into a 30 man shoota boyz mob so you could have 3 big shootas for a unit that throws down 62 shots on the move! That’s your troop mower and objective camper unit.

I rolled the other left over boyz into the 25 man units to give them a little more sticking power.

I left the trukk boyz and beefed up the trukks with armor plates and reinforced rams these are MUST HAVES
The armor plates let you keep moving if you happen to get a stunned result inflicted on the trukk, and the ram allows you to plow through terrain to drop off the boys with little fear of getting immobilized

I bumped up the Lootas to 15 (if 12 Lootas are good, 15 is better) remember if you get only one shot that’s only 5 hits so more is better.

I gave one unit of Kans rokkits because they are BS3 and left the rest with grotzookas (because they RULE!)

I took out some buggies because they are AV10 and BS2 and needed to make some room.

I added in two Deff dreads because you can take them as troops because of the Big Meks

If the dreads push you over the points limit take one or both out. I armed them with 2 scorchas because you want the Dreads to run ever round not shoot, so you run up in to the thick of the enemy use the scorchas to roast whole units and assault the left over’s.

With 11 walkers getting a 4+ "obscured" save from all incoming fire its unlikely that your opponent can deal with many of them and 80 foot slogging boyz should be able to get to grips with a good number intact with the KFF

The Trukks race forward and threaten the flanks, slow down or kill flankers and try and push the main enemy force towards the middle of the board and closer together so the main Ork horde can get to them all bunched up.

Lootas sweep the field destroying priority targets like hell hounds, Immolators, Whirlwinds, and then popping transports

Kanz single out armor for the Rokkit Kanz and troops with the grotzookas (but remember you can glance AV12 with Grotzookas in a pinch and Pen AV11! (I've immobilized dreads with the 'Zookas!)

With that much stuff you should be everywhere at once so enemies like the Eldar will have a hard time using their super mobility to out maneuver you. Beware the flamer and the super assault units, Orks will loose the assault vs. super assault units like vanguard vets. Keep walkers close by to pile in and even the odds
Hope this helps.