PDA

View Full Version : Hydra(s) or Medusa(s): What to put in that last heavy IG slot...

Kuhlbert
02-27-2010, 08:49 PM
Right now I have a 2000pt guard army that I had planned to have 2 medusas in.

But I've seen some posts recently that seem to suggest that Hydras are the hotness right now...

So the medusa's were supposed to be my anti-armor gods - the only other AV14 potential killers I have are 2 3xmelta vet squads in chimeras, and 2 9-man psyker squads.

My other heavies are two LR Executioners with plasma sponsons, not squadroned.

So with the hydras, obviously I save some points and can get more toys - but are they worth losing the S10 pie plates of doom?

And I do have 6 ACs in 2 3xman weapon teams...

And quick question - in order to fire both autocannons, the hydra has to be stopped, right? I don't see a special rule allowing it to fire both on the move...

Opinions? Keep the 2 medusas? Or go 2 hydras and other stuff?

(Some may suggest squadroning the LRs, and getting 1 medusa and 1 hydra. Besides the fact I don't want to tie the LRs togther, I'm a big believer in the rule of 2...)

gwensdad
02-27-2010, 09:44 PM
Are you expecting any of the following:

1) Bikes/jetbikes
2) "Flyers" (valks, etc)
3) Eldar grav tanks w/star engines
4) anything else that can get insane saves by moving fast

If the answer to any of these is "yes" then get the hydra and use it on those units. Otherwise your opponent will use their speed to get units into close combat with your armor and kill them.

And yes, you have to not move to use all the autocannon shots, but all your weapons (like a HK missle you may want to slap on it) get the hydra's bonuses against fast moving vehicles.

Kuhlbert
02-27-2010, 09:54 PM
Oh, I'm not specifically expecting anything - but its for a "tournament" list. I plan on going to a few this year, and I'm putting together the first list that I'm going to try.

Sadly, I don't have a lot of opportunity to play except when I go to 'cons - which means not only do I lose a lot :) I also don't get a lot of practice (thus, the losing).

So perhaps a better question is, in the current tournament scene, what is more prevalent: AV14 (monoliths and land raiders) or fast-movers (nobz on bikes, seer council on bikes, etc...).

Nabterayl
02-28-2010, 03:19 AM
This is a small point, but since you say you don't get much practice outside of 'cons I'll throw it out anyway in case it saves you some bad fire allocation:

I wouldn't put much faith in Hydras against nob bikers. Their autocannons don't Instant Death any models in the unit, and their targeting system doesn't penetrate the natural 4+ cover save that all ork warbikes get all the time. It will go through the 3+ cover save that the nobs can get from turbo-boosting, but that's only one of the two cover saves a turbo-boosting nob biker can call upon. So while yes, the Hydras can throw out a lot of accurate fire, and while yes, they will wound on a 2+, most of the nobz' defensive power is unmitigated: they still get a 4+ save, they still get FNP, and they can still use their wound striping to full effect.

Aldramelech
02-28-2010, 05:29 AM
Goodbye

Grimcron
02-28-2010, 10:55 PM
In consideration with the other units you want to field, I think a Medusa will fit in better.

Hydras are great as at Str7, they not only can deal with bikers or seer council, they can pop AV10/11 vehicles with relatively ease. In your list, you already have Leman Russ for anti infantry role. You definitely need more range anti vehicle units. Thus the Medusa.

Tynskel
03-03-2010, 01:14 AM
Are you expecting any of the following:

1) Bikes/jetbikes
2) "Flyers" (valks, etc)
3) Eldar grav tanks w/star engines
4) anything else that can get insane saves by moving fast

If the answer to any of these is "yes" then get the hydra and use it on those units. Otherwise your opponent will use their speed to get units into close combat with your armor and kill them.

And yes, you have to not move to use all the autocannon shots, but all your weapons (like a HK missle you may want to slap on it) get the hydra's bonuses against fast moving vehicles.

Killinger!!!

bob9801
03-03-2010, 01:25 AM
I would suggest taking medusas for your current setup.

What I would do personaly though is take a hydra or 2 and swap out my autocannon teams for lascannon teams. the pie plates are not included but you have the targeting advantage of the hydra and the anti armour punch from the lascannons.

Polonius
03-03-2010, 09:43 AM
Medusas do something well that nothing else does even close to reliably(long range anti-tank), while hydras do an excellent job of something that many things do well with.

I run a medusa and two executioners at 1850, and I've rarely, if ever, wished I had hydras. They're an amazing unit, and bring a ton of punch for their cost, but autocannons in line squads do the same thing, albeit not as effectively.

RocketRollRebel
03-03-2010, 05:05 PM
I run a lot of mech vet lists and I almost always have a pair of hydras in a heavy support slot. I am a HUGE fan of them. They are truly beautiful and great for light to med AT killing, and taking down MC's. Plus the price for two is a steal.

Allandaros
03-26-2010, 08:43 AM
The Hydra is better than an AC HWS - both will get the same amount of hits with their autocannon fire, but the Hydra's less squishy and has the option to mount a heavy bolter for free. I like bob9801's suggestion of swapping your AC teams with lascannons, and then rolling with Hydras.

ashnaile
04-07-2010, 10:38 PM
I love medusas ... played 2500 pts today, 1 squadron of 2 plascutioners outflanking with creed, 1 manticore and 1 medusa as heavies. Medusa popped a land raider a land speeder and the ironclad dreadnought, only the land raider was a direct hit, even 5+ 2d6 is good at penning vehicles ;)