PDA

View Full Version : 2500 'Ard Boyz Guard, tear it apart.

Fearspect
02-28-2010, 03:14 PM
What I am planning on bringing, all comments and criticism welcome (seriously).

Company Command Squad (3x Meltagun, Astropath, OotF) 140

DH Inquisitor (Emperor's Tarot, Psychic Hood, 2x Mystics) 67
Psychic Battle Squad (10 mans) 110

Veterans (3x Meltagun) 100
Veterans (3x Flamers, Demolitions) 115
7x Chimera (HK Missiles) 455

3x Vendetta 390

3x Hydra Flak Cannon (Heavy Bolter, HK Missile) 255
Manticore (Heavy Bolter, HK Missile) 170

Tynskel
03-01-2010, 12:36 AM
I would squeeze a Psycannon on the Inquisitor.

Nothing like making invuls not happen. For example: Fateweaver.

SlavesToDarkness
03-03-2010, 05:46 PM
Agree. Drop the HKs on the Hydras and make a Psy-Cannon happen.

Also, it's a very strange list: you really plan on leaving 1 veteran squad and both psyker squads out in the open? Mount all your veterans - if you are not planning to, then swap them out for a big blob platoon with a comissar.

Darkwynn
03-03-2010, 09:29 PM
Company Command Squad (3x Meltagun, Astropath, OotF) 140

DH Inquisitor (Emperor's Tarot, Psychic Hood, 2x Mystics) 67

3x Vendetta 390

3x Hydra Flak Cannon (Heavy Bolter, HK Missile) 255

Drop the hood and go for the psycannon kind of pointless to have a ld 8 or 9 hood. Most psykers are LD 10. Drop the HK missles too kind of pointless to have all of them on there. You can spend the points on other places and plus trim the command squad down a little bit or substuite plasma for all of the melta. Its a CookieCutter list which I think you will have a hard time playing a lot of people with it.

jcage
03-03-2010, 10:54 PM
@ Slave: He probably plans on putting the psykers, CCS, and melta squads in the chimeras. The flamer vets ride in the vendettas, alpha striking if he gets first turn.

List looks fine, drop the psychic hood or upgrade the inquisitor to a lord, as has been mentioned above. I used to think HK's were a huge waste of points, but if you take enough of them you can really frontload a lot of damage turn 1. A vendetta might wreck more tanks and kill more MC's than 13 HK's, but a vendetta can be shut down relatively easily, and a vendettas damage is spread out over the entire game rather than frontloaded in the first turn.

Its a CookieCutter list which I think you will have a hard time playing a lot of people with it.

Do you mean that it isn't a good list, or that people will know how to fight it because they've seen similar mech guard armies before?

SlavesToDarkness
03-04-2010, 06:07 PM
I mean, the list is fine - but I think that it's a little too fragile. Vets die so quick - rope in some blob platoons instead.

Fearspect
03-05-2010, 01:14 AM
Roger on the Psychic Hood thing. I need to find a way to get the 16 points for the +2 Ld upgrade (drop two HK I guess...)

SlavesToDarkness: Are you trying to say that a blob of infantry will last longer in 'Ard Boyz vs a squad of mechanized vets? That's what I just read, but I am sure you must have meant something different.

Darkwynn: Could you please elaborate on your last sentence? Do you mean I will have a hard time because people will be expecting it? I don't think it is exactly 'cookie cutter' other than containing mech vets and a few vendettas, or is that the problem?

RE: Psycannon: Why? Two mystics are so that I can trim the fat here and let any other unit in my army take shots.

Appreciate the replies.

gcsmith
03-05-2010, 06:52 AM
Fear, ive never been adepticon, But surely 10 men in a vehicle is quicker kill than 50 men :p

jcage
03-05-2010, 10:58 AM
Roger on the Psychic Hood thing. I need to find a way to get the 16 points for the +2 Ld upgrade (drop two HK I guess...)

SlavesToDarkness: Are you trying to say that a blob of infantry will last longer in 'Ard Boyz vs a squad of mechanized vets? That's what I just read, but I am sure you must have meant something different.

Darkwynn: Could you please elaborate on your last sentence? Do you mean I will have a hard time because people will be expecting it? I don't think it is exactly 'cookie cutter' other than containing mech vets and a few vendettas, or is that the problem?

RE: Psycannon: Why? Two mystics are so that I can trim the fat here and let any other unit in my army take shots.

Appreciate the replies.

It actually costs 25 points to upgrade the inquisitors LD to 10 (you have to buy a lord). Buying 2 hierophants still only gives you a bonus of 1 to his leadership. I usually give my inquisitor a retinue of 2 mystics, and 3 plasma warriors, 3 4+ save plasma guns for 60 points is a great deal. It's personal preference though, if you feel like you already have enough AP2 firepower then don't bother with it.

Is it that hard to believe that a stubborn blob will last longer than 10 vets in a chimera? I'm not necessarily advocating the blob, but it does have some uses (firebase, objective holder, bubble wrap.

SlavesToDarkness
03-05-2010, 06:04 PM
Blobs do one thing that vets don't: win combats. It might shock you, but a comissar and three sergeants with power weapons nets 12 powered attacks. They'll beat tactical squads, bike squads even orks (especially if you're in cover). Likewise 30 lasguns becomes 90 shots (!) with orders or all three heavy weapons in the blob re-roll misses with Bring it Down!

Darkwynn
03-05-2010, 09:17 PM
Yes, its pretty much cookie cutter in al ot of ways, It might seem flexable but in ways its not going to be. People will know how to play it and it might cause you a disadvantage.

I know if I am going to play your list, I will keep my distance, cross fire lanes for side shots and ouflankers to get to the back field. you have a very lmiited threat bubble in which after 18 inches out, you have few things that can touch people. You are putting Vets in the Vendettas that are eitehr going to be shooting or moving. If I play this list I will shoot the vendettas down maybe hit one of the manticores or shake them, then take down the core of your list .

this is just my suggestion but you don't need that many vets in chimera,s and I would break it up and maybe get more scoring units or something else that can help you break up those weapon groups.

Fearspect
03-08-2010, 09:56 PM
There are not really a lot of vets I can replace with platoons, considering these squads cost only 20 more for BS4...

So I have heard that everyone says more scoring units. What would you drop?

Does this look better?

Company Command Squad (3x Sniper, Autocannon, Astropath, OotF) 155
DH Inquisitor Lord(Emperor's Tarot, Psychic Hood, 2x Mystics, Acolyte) 100

Veterans (3x Sniper, Autocannon) 95