PDA

View Full Version : Insert Asteroid and Gluteus Maximus Pun Here,

Mr Mystery
05-11-2015, 08:52 AM
Yep, as promised, this is my product review of Space Rocks' asteroids (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Wars-X-Wing-Miniatures-Game/dp/B00RANG0UO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431355266&sr=8-1&keywords=Space+rocks), intended for use with X-Wing and one assumes other space based games.

I of course picked these up from Amazon, having stumbled upon them a week or so ago.

First up, this review is not a comparison between the various 3D asteroids on offer out there, as these are the only ones I've got.

Next up, the practicalities of them...

Good - they come with very nice clear Perspex bases and stand, so they're good and stable, and stand about the right height off your board/map.

The best bit is that although you get 12 for your money, 6 of the bases very closely match the bog standard ones that come in your X-Wing starter box. This is a nice touch for the casual gamer such as myself, as they clearly define when they're going to be affecting your flight. For more formal play....they're very, very close, but not exact, so if you want to take them I'd recommend taking both sets along, and let your organiser decide.

Given the base is ultimately the most important bit of these from an X-Wing perspective, the Asteroids themselves are very easily removed from their stands, so they won't get in the way (unless you happen to land where the peg is.....)

Bad - they set me back £25, but are made from......polystyrene. Don't get me wrong, the finished product is very well done, but I still remain a bit disappointed that they're something (bases aside) I could have knocked up myself to some degree.

The Perspex (acrylic?) pegs are quite a tight fit in the bases, so they're not really removable for transport - fairly minor, but might be important to some.

But as I said, the finished product is very nice, and they certainly look the part!

Overall, on a largely arbitrary 1-5 scale, I'd probably give these say, 3.5 to 4. They certainly look a lot better than the flat tokens that come standard, but I remain a bit disappointed at the material they're made from.

Attached should be two photos. One showing some of my Scum and Villainy fleet atop my Venom Battlegear mat (http://www.venombattlegear.co.uk/product/pvc-3x3-ft-battlemat-space-orion-nebula-1/) with the standard Asteroid tokens, and the second the same set up, but with the cardboard tokens replaced with their corresponding Space Rocks Asteroid models.

I hope you enjoyed this relatively 'sticking to facts' type review. If you've got any questions, feel free to ask!

Brenlak
05-13-2015, 10:25 PM
So what I am hearing is I am better off with some poly of my own and some stands to make them vertical. I have plenty of the cut out asteroids from the starter box, I could even go as far to use them as the bases (then they are the right size, Boosh).

Mr Mystery
05-13-2015, 11:06 PM
If you've got the bits and skills, no reason these couldn't be made at home :)

They are nice though!

Brenlak
05-19-2015, 10:05 PM
Nice is nice but I don't like the price! I am planing to homebrew these someday and post the results. Did you get the shipwrek yet, they look neato!