PDA

View Full Version : What units would Ahriman allow?

johnnyfoodmaster
03-03-2010, 07:55 AM
So, since I read the CSM Codex, I've wanted to build an army around Ahriman.

According to his story, he despises mutations and wants to be in control of the Warp and not the other way around.

So, the question is: In an Ahriman-centric army, what units would he allow? I think the list would be simple:
T-sons Marines
Chaos Space Marines (initiates?)
Chaos Lord/Sorcerer
Chosen
Terminators
Dreadnoughts
Raptors
Havocs
All vehicles except Defilers

I'm torn on Obliterators. I think they're too mutant-y

What do you guys think?

Cryl
03-03-2010, 08:36 AM
I've thought about this a bit in the past and having just read Thousand Sons it's even more in my mind. I've come to the conclusion that you're almost better using Codex: Space Marines rather than the CSM book. Tigurius or a tooled up regular librarian can represent Ahriman and then you can use the rest of the units as you would for a normal chapter. The downside is that the regular marine librarians are a little too vulnerable for someone as old as Ahriman and even Tigurius is no where near as powerful as someone who was second only to Magnus in his chapter!

The BA book may get closer to his level with Mephiston's rules although that's pure guesswork and Mephiston may end up too combat oriented for Ahriman but the psychic dread will help as well potentially...

If you're going with the CSM book then I think your list is pretty much spot on. I wouldn't bother with CSM dreads as they're supposed to be mad and I can't see that applying to Thousand Sons (as I sasid before the BA book offering rumoured psychic dreads may suit better), the rest are all ok assuming that the thousand sons have recruited more marines in the time since their near destruction just before the heresy which it's never made clear that they have and given the gene seed issues and the reasons for the rubric in the first place seems unlikely.

Which leaves the option of pre heresy thousand sons, cooler paint scheme, you can pick whichever marine book you prefer or even come up with your own rules to allow librarian powers (similar to grey knights maybe) for squads and have all your captains etc as psychics too.

wittdooley
03-03-2010, 10:39 AM
Completly agree with Cyrl. If you're thinking about Ahriman at all, you need to read A Thousand Sons. It is a serious paradigm shift in how we all should be thinking about the Thousand Sons in the future.

johnnyfoodmaster
03-03-2010, 12:35 PM
I'm in the middle of A Thousand Sons now, so no spoilers :)

I've really liked Ahriman since I first saw the model but I have a problem playing the evil doers in any game. After reading the Chaos dex he doesn't seem like such a bad guy...right?

I also want to build a Daemon Prince to represent Magnus. I'm a little torn on how to do that though. I'd like to do that so I can use all the mutant-y Chaos stuff that Ahriman would never want to associate with.

Madness
03-03-2010, 01:31 PM
No chaos marine is a bad guy, at least not if compared to most marines, which are literally holy monsters. What is perceived by the rest of the imperium (who worships the Emperor as a god) is just a divergence of opinions for marines (who see the Emperor as a hero, but not a god), of course marines being marines, divergent opinions get solved by chainswords to the face.

All the books of the Horus Heresy era capitalize on the fact that traitor legions didn't simply go nuts or suddenly lost any kind of discipline they had, the difference between a traitor marine and a loyal marine is probably much less than the one between the average faithful imperium servant and a corrupt one.