PDA

View Full Version : 1500 Marines

gcsmith
03-06-2010, 01:37 PM
Now I know im doing nids but I wanted to try and make a decent Marine list, which may modify when BA comes out depending on the rules in the book, Anyway here it is. Pls strip it as best as you can.

Captain with melta bombs, power weapon and artificer armour. 150 This guy will most likely go with my sternguard vets, provide some more busting power and some protection in combat.

5 tactical marines in razorback with powerfist and combi flamer.165 Self explanitary really this unit will ride up, cap objectives, blow some tanks in combat and has some anti horde ability,

5 tactical marines with same setup as above. 165

5 scout bikers with locator beacon, powerfist, mines 190. This squad will infiltrate and scout to help bring sternguard down where needed, and provide some anti tank capabilities. They can also reduce horde numbers and survive combat due to hight toughness. Mines there to stop terrain camping 1st turn.

5 scout bikers. melta bombs, combi melta, mines, 155. this squad is really there for some melta ability when scouting and infiltrating, they can also charge any vehicles which havnt moved to get the benefit of melta bombs if the tank survives, after that they can go objective contesting and bolter duty.

sternguard squad in drop pod, 2 melta guns and powerfist. 195. some nice ability here to hurt tanks and some anti horde stuff. Monsters can also feel my wrath will combine with 1st bike squads beacon.

3 landspeaders with multi melta, 180 will probable DS these so they can beacon in and take out any tanks on turn 2 or move up and apose objectives.

vindicator 115
vindicator 115 Both of these really for anti horde and elite, but can revert to anti tank if the rest which seems like quite a bit cant handle.

In total I have 60 points spare i believe and was leaning towards Heavy flamers on the bottom of my speeders. This really helps my army out.

Overall I feel this is a strong list. With a lot of flexibility and can appose most lists I can think off.
Any ideas on improvements and how this would do. I Probably wont get this for a while. (IF ever) :) but would like to think i could come up with a decent list.

codiddy
03-06-2010, 09:58 PM
you could put siege shields on the vindicators too. Automatically passing dangerous terrain tests lets them go wherever the hell they want

Chumbalaya
03-07-2010, 01:01 PM
Captain with melta bombs, power weapon and artificer armour. 150 This guy will most likely go with my sternguard vets, provide some more busting power and some protection in combat.

If you're going to run a Captain, go for the relic blade and storm shield. You'll lose an attack, but S6 and the 3++ will be well worth it. He can go after MCs and other characters with relative ease and shrug off pretty much anything. Librarians complement Sternguard very well with Null Zone and Gate. Lysander also brings a lot to the table if you're using Sternguard, you may just want him.

5 tactical marines in razorback with powerfist and combi flamer.165 Self explanitary really this unit will ride up, cap objectives, blow some tanks in combat and has some anti horde ability,

5 tactical marines with same setup as above. 165

Not that great, especially for your only scoring units. 5 marines aren't very good at fighting assaults, even with the extra 1-2 wounds cause by the PF. I'd go for 10 with a multi-melta, flamer, and combi-melta in a Rhino. Tacticals don't do combat, so don't bother really, just escape with combat tactics and keep shooting. Keep them in their ride, supporting your army. They can zoom up, pop smoke then next turn and then you've got either a multi-melta bunker or something that can get burned (or melta'd, but just once). If you get Lysander, go ahead and toss in the PF since you'll be stubborn and can't get away (but don't expect much, Tacticals suck in combat).

5 scout bikers with locator beacon, powerfist, mines 190. This squad will infiltrate and scout to help bring sternguard down where needed, and provide some anti tank capabilities. They can also reduce horde numbers and survive combat due to hight toughness. Mines there to stop terrain camping 1st turn.

Scout Bikes are very meh. Drop Pods are reliable enough and the Bikers themselves don't bring a lot to the table. The alpha strike is a possibility, but Sternguard do well enough with that on their own, and you may well encourage your enemy to go into reserve, leaving your Scout Bikes and Sternies high and dry. Mines are fun, but not all that useful. I'd just drop these altogether and focus on getting more support elements to capitalize on the Sternguard doing damage when they show up.

Same dealy, ditch 'em.

[quote]sternguard squad in drop pod, 2 melta guns and powerfist. 195. some nice ability here to hurt tanks and some anti horde stuff. Monsters can also feel my wrath will combine with 1st bike squads beacon.

Meltaguns? Why waste your awesome ammo? Grab 4-8 combi-meltas, just to keep that flexibility. Generally podding in is a suicide run, so you'll only get 1 use of melta anyway, and it pays to have bolters if you face an army with no vehicles.

3 landspeaders with multi melta, 180 will probable DS these so they can beacon in and take out any tanks on turn 2 or move up and apose objectives.

Split them up, add Heavy Flamers for flexibility. Deep Strike, reserve, or deploy normally, it's good to have options.

vindicator 115
vindicator 115 Both of these really for anti horde and elite, but can revert to anti tank if the rest which seems like quite a bit cant handle.

You want to Deep Strike or scout the majority of your army up in enemy territory, and then start lobbing S10 AP2 pie plates that way? You're going to hit your own men and it will hurt. Go for something a little less prone to friendly fire, like Predators (AC and HB for cheap, versatile firepower).

Honestly, it needs an almost total retooling. The core idea is good, launching an alpha strike right in your opponent's face, putting pressure on early, with supporting units moving in, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired.

The biggest weakness Podding has is that they always come in turn 1. While reliability is good, it is also predictable and relatively easy to counter by simply going into reserve or hiding behind screens and bubble wrap. If you want to Pod, you're going to need support units that can help them do their job and take over should the podding unit not make it.

You could do something like:
Lysander
10 Sternguard, 8 combi-meltas, powerfist, Drop Pod
2x 10 Marines, multi-melta, flamer, combi-melta, powerfist, Rhino
2 dual TLAC Dreads
3 MM/HF Speeders

The Sternies and Lysander come in and cause problems while the rest of the army supports and can run on its own if needed. You could swap Lysander for a Librarian (ditching the powerfists) and then you'd be able to bring 2 Preds, 2 Dreads, 2 Speeders and a cheap unit of sniper scouts to hold objectives.

gcsmith
03-07-2010, 02:40 PM
The idea was I wanted a desert themed army, tried and tested against orks *fluff wise* so One drop pod is all they have since podding is dangerous in the desert, and it was only really to try my hand at list making :P

Tynskel
03-07-2010, 07:45 PM
Here are some suggestions, since ya want to keep some themes going.

1) CHECK YOUR MATH. I have found multiple errors. Either you are leaving wargear out, or you just didn't add properly.

2) Put a Locator Beacon and Deathwind on the Pod for the Sternguard. Now you have two locator beacons, allowing a little more flexibility. The Deathwind Launcher is to make the Pod a 'better' target- so what if they blow the pod up. You are landing in close- might as well blow stuff up!

3) Drop the second batch of Scout Bikers. With the extra points, beef both tacticals up to 10 marines. (160 points)

I would take flamers for the tactical squads. Now you have a combi-flamer and a flamer in 2 squads. Heavy Weapons are up to you in the combat squads. I would just take the good 'ole Hv Bolter (or Missile Launcher for versatility). Gives them more anti-infantry. Buy Siege Shields for the Vindicators. You really should get that, because you want those vindicators in cover!

HQ 175
Captain So n' So
Relic Blade, Artificer Armor, Melta Bombs, Combi-Melta, Auxiliary Grenade Launcher
I like the additional Shot- You never know when Str 6 shot will be the one to bust something open! Not to mention, Tri-Force looking gun! You could change the Siege Shields to Dozer Blades if you wanna give this guy Hellfire Rounds. Makes him a better fit with Sternguard.

Hv Support 250
Vindicator
Tank, Siege Shield
Vindicator
Tank, Siege Shield

Fast Attack 350
Scout Bike Squad
5 Bikers, Mines, Locator Beacon, Powerfist (once again, cheaper than you listed by 20 points)
Land Speeder Squadron
2 Land Speeders, 2 Multi-Meltas
Land Speeder Squadron (Long Range Fire Support)
Land Speeder, 2 Heavy Bolters
(This is an awesome Land Speeder- starts on the board, and just fires 6 shots a turn keeping 36" away from the enemy)

Elites 235
Sternguard Veteran Squad
5 Marines, Powerfist, 4 Combi-Meltas
Dedicated Transport: Drop Pod, with Locator Beacon and Deathwind Launcher

Troops 490
Tactical Squad
10 Marines, Combi-Flamer, Powerfist, Flamer, Hv Bolter
Dedicated Transport: Razorback
Tactical Squad
10 Marines, Combi-Flamer, Powerfist, Flamer, Missile Launcher
Dedicated Transport: Razorback

gcsmith
03-08-2010, 02:49 PM
looks good, and most can be plasticarded (tanks. i know but id like to craft stuff so i can buy nids at same time)

Chumbalaya
03-08-2010, 04:32 PM
No, it's not that good. It still has the same problems as the original, scouting a worthless unit up, dropping a suicide squad, and not providing any adequate support, unless you want to count dropping pie plates on their heads as support.

You wanna Pod Sternguard, 10 men and a Librarian and/or Lysander is the way to go. Librarian gives you Null Zone, Gate, and a Hood, Lysander lets you re-roll misses and makes them a nasty prospect in assault.

Dual HB Speeders are garbage, just get a Typhoon (better against armor and MCs and infantry). Dual MM are overspecialized, grab the heavy flamer so you won't be useless when your opponent has no armor (or the armor is gone).

Without support, all your opponent has to do is go into reserve, watch the Pod and Scout Bikes pop up, murder them and destroy the army as it comes in piecemeal. With some real firepower on the other side of the table, you can do plenty of damage without the Sternguard, making them ultimately disposable and no longer a critical lynchpin of your army. Hinging your entire game on a single unit is a bad idea.