PDA

View Full Version : The Tyranids

Andrew283
08-05-2009, 02:48 AM
I just had a look at the galactic map for the nids in the 5th edition rulebook and something struck me as quite odd. Not all the fleets are invading from the galactic south.

From the south are Leviathan and Hydra
From the south east are Behemoth and Colossus
From the east is Kraken
From the north east is Jormungandr
From the north is Moloch

This made me question just how many galaxy's the Tyranids have already devoured as they are appearing from multiple directions unless the galaxy they are coming from is far larger than our own.

What are your views on this??

Emperorsmercy
08-05-2009, 03:14 AM
Yeah, i always presumed that they attacked diffrent galaxies at diffrent points, not just one at a time. So yeah, I suppose they must be being attracted from nearby galaxies theyve already consumed, but in diffrent places. And, maybe, Leviathan and Hydra are part of the same fleet, and Behemoth followed Colossus after the rebellion between the Zoats and Tyranids.

swartsengagger
08-05-2009, 03:57 AM
They might have attacked several galaxies before at once, who says they aren't doing this right now ;)

But I think that they came from the same direction and that the hive mind just decided to outflank this galaxy, it won't suprise me to see a fleet attacking the west side in the next update of the nids codex :)

Magos
08-05-2009, 11:21 AM
I suspect really that the Tyranids have devoured multiple galaxies, so unless something really out heir happens, the nids will just eat everything.

Steakhouse
08-05-2009, 12:16 PM
I just had a look at the galactic map for the nids in the 5th edition rulebook and something struck me as quite odd. Not all the fleets are invading from the galactic south.

From the south are Leviathan and Hydra
From the south east are Behemoth and Colossus
From the east is Kraken
From the north east is Jormungandr
From the north is Moloch

This made me question just how many galaxy's the Tyranids have already devoured as they are appearing from multiple directions unless the galaxy they are coming from is far larger than our own.

What are your views on this??

You're missing the possibility that the attacking swarms are just scouting tendrils. If this is true then the main body of the Tyranid fleet would likely be larger/wider then our galaxy. The end result would be like a lawn mower rolling over a single weed.

Andrew283
08-05-2009, 12:21 PM
Lol that would be hilarious steakhouse. I suppose it would'nt matter anyway because the imperium and everyone else is still screwed

JuiceSpringsteen!
08-05-2009, 02:24 PM
But there is still hope! As long as we keep giving our money to GW they won't be forced to end it all by having the tyranids eating everything! They did the same thing with the squats. (oops, reset the clock)

Emperorsmercy
08-05-2009, 02:31 PM
Im not sure why, I just had this odd image of the Hive mind walking into a restraunt and ordering the human galaxy, washed down with squats. Hmmm.

Edge
08-06-2009, 05:20 AM
You're looking at the galaxy in 2 dimensions. Maybe it's one fleet coming from below (or above) and they're just securing the perimeter before the bulk of it ploughs through the middle...

Magos
08-06-2009, 10:58 AM
Well, since we're looking at the Galaxy in 3 diminsions, I could see another fleet coming in from the top of the galaxy...

Grumpy Ripper
08-07-2009, 02:18 AM
Leviathan attacked from below the galatic plane an got 15000 lightyears from terra so soon even the Big E will be a side dish, iam think crustry bread roll :P

Ive allways imaged it like droping a snooker ball into a lake tyranids may have imense numbers but only so much can contact the ball at one time which means they cant bring there numbers to bear .

entendre_entendre
08-08-2009, 08:01 PM
i was under the impression that the smaller tyranid hive fleets were scouting parties sent to investigate the biomass of the galaxy before behemoth, but were unrecorded for a long time (the areas effected were less populated than the bigger fleets). it would make sense to come from different directions to detect where the greatest amount of biomass in the galaxy is. behemoth, kraken, & leviathan are more like battle groups sent in to test the resistance in the sectors that were previously scouted. the hive mind would want to see if there were any weaknesses in the defenses that a large fleet could exploit. the only way to do that effectively would be to come from multiple directions. this assumes that the hive mind thinks rationally in the way of proceeding towards its goal.
just my 2 cents.

chromedog
08-08-2009, 09:48 PM
The Milky way isn't a particularly large galaxy.

The tendrils are just the vanguard. No-one really knows how big the actual tyranid gestalt actually IS.

Aegis
08-08-2009, 09:53 PM
The way I see it, the Imperium is not doomed as long as crafty Inquisitors keep throwing orks in the way...

Operation 'Get behind the Greenskins' is go!

Magos
08-08-2009, 11:32 PM
The Orks will probably crush the nids. I mean, they counterattacked into the path of the hive fleet. Thats amazing.

Andrew283
08-09-2009, 09:16 AM
"The Orks will probably crush the nids."

Are you mad. The nids will destroy everything in the galaxy and will not stop until they do

Inquisitor McSagington
08-09-2009, 10:35 AM
I always rather like the theory that, not only is the main mas of the Tyranid mind HUGE but that rather than deliberatly invading they're running from something-Something that forced them from thier galaxy/galaxies and they're just OMNOMNOM'ing the path of least resistance.

johnny_trash
08-10-2009, 06:03 PM
I always rather like the theory that, not only is the main mas of the Tyranid mind HUGE but that rather than deliberatly invading they're running from something-Something that forced them from thier galaxy/galaxies and they're just OMNOMNOM'ing the path of least resistance.

I've thought about that, too. And THAT lead to a further question...What about the other galaxies? Do they have their own separate Warps, or does the Warp exist beneath the entire Universe? And, what happens if the Necrons wake up and shut down the Warp, what will that do to the Hive Mind?

Ferro
08-11-2009, 01:29 PM
Johnny Trash, you are blowing my mind.

Has anyone been able to figure exactly what Hive Fleet was involved on Anphelion? If I understand the book correctly, Inquisitor-Lord Varius imported Tyranids to the moon for study, but they escaped and overran the complex, killing everyone who couldn't get offworld. But from where did Varius get his sample organisms in the first place? Which Hive Fleet was it?

In any case, Anphelion has become the birthing ground of a new splinter fleet and it's spreading from there.

Grumpy Ripper
08-12-2009, 02:19 AM
Johnny Trash, you are blowing my mind.

Has anyone been able to figure exactly what Hive Fleet was involved on Anphelion? If I understand the book correctly, Inquisitor-Lord Varius imported Tyranids to the moon for study, but they escaped and overran the complex, killing everyone who couldn't get offworld. But from where did Varius get his sample organisms in the first place? Which Hive Fleet was it?

In any case, Anphelion has become the birthing ground of a new splinter fleet and it's spreading from there.

i am not sure that it say where they get samples from but they only made a few little broods using samples collected which then evolved into other higher forms which then got out of hand. :D

they problay killteams to collect things like stealers from space hulks etc or from worlds that had an invasion but won then captured some remaining nids.

Emperorsmercy
08-12-2009, 03:40 AM
Ok, so everyone's going to die, no matter what happens.

1- The Nids eat evryone
2- Necrons harvest everythng and close down the warp.
3-Orks bash evryone.

Ect. So, basically, everyones going to die, no matter what happens.

Forhekset
08-12-2009, 07:09 AM
...something even BIGGER than the Tyranids?

Reminds me of those nightmares I have where an asteroid 1000 times the size of earth just happens to fly past and squash us like a bug in an instant.

*shudder*

Majorcrash
08-12-2009, 08:41 AM
Ok, so everyone's going to die, no matter what happens.

1- The Nids eat evryone
2- Necrons harvest everythng and close down the warp.
3-Orks bash evryone.

Ect. So, basically, everyones going to die, no matter what happens.

The nids may be a big problem and all, but arnt they just going to be another dish on the Ctan menu. A constantly evolving dish. Plus then theres the Outsider who ends it all!:eek:

Erazoender
08-12-2009, 10:05 AM
The Necrons biggest weakness is the Warp. Tyranids mastered the warp in such a way that they do not even have to reach into the warp to activate it.

No, the C'tan would fear the Tyranids.

Andrew283
08-12-2009, 12:44 PM
Exactly Erazoender the Hive Mind is insanely powerful

Majorcrash
08-12-2009, 03:12 PM
except for the fact of one on of the hive fleets has gone around where the Outsider is.

Andrew283
08-13-2009, 01:42 AM
Hell, would'nt you??

johnny_trash
08-13-2009, 05:09 PM
Or, of course, The Outsider figured out how to call the Tyranids, and is somehow controlling them. That's plain scary

GPrime
08-24-2009, 04:50 AM
Or, of course, The Outsider figured out how to call the Tyranids, and is somehow controlling them. That's plain scary

I think they took one look at the Outsider's "death star" and went off in serch of easier prey

Drew da Destroya
08-24-2009, 10:18 AM
Maybe the Old Ones knew about the coming of the Hive Mind (probably feeling it through the Warp) and created the Krork not to fight the C'Tan and Necrons, but to fight off the Tyranid. If you think about it, the Orks are really the only race big and widespread enough to stop the Tyranid's progress. They aren't even going to necessarily kill the hive fleets, they just need to halt their momentum and tarpit for long enough that the Hive Mind decides that the milky way isn't worth the investment, and goes off to eat some other galaxy.

I mean, the Orks and Tyranid share a lot of similarities. Both races are extremely numerous and repopulate quickly, they're both entirely psychic races, exist entirely for warfare, get stronger through fighting, and once they invade a planet, they're extremely difficult to remove. It's possible that whichever Old One created the Krork used the Tyranid as a template.

Katie Drake
08-24-2009, 10:53 PM

Naw, pretty doubtful. It's probably just coincidence that a Hive Fleet stumbled across the Outsider. Or perhaps the Hive Mind was able to sense its presence somehow and had the Tyranids advance to within a certain distance before deciding that it was best to just leave the Outside alone in his Dyson Sphere.

There's really no sense in assuming that the Outsider is controlling the Tyranids. The Tyranids are a race that is very closely tied to the Warp, a realm which the C'tan find utterly incomprehensible. It's highly unlikely that any C'tan, let alone one as crazy as the Outsider would use such a medium to control their puppets. Besides, I'm sure the Outsider has his own Necron Legions somewhere - they're probably still inert on inactive Tomb Worlds throughout the galaxy, waiting for a signal from their leader to begin the Red Harvest.

Maybe the Old Ones knew about the coming of the Hive Mind (probably feeling it through the Warp) and created the Krork not to fight the C'Tan and Necrons, but to fight off the Tyranid. If you think about it, the Orks are really the only race big and widespread enough to stop the Tyranid's progress. They aren't even going to necessarily kill the hive fleets, they just need to halt their momentum and tarpit for long enough that the Hive Mind decides that the milky way isn't worth the investment, and goes off to eat some other galaxy.

This seems plausible yes. Good for you on coming up with such a cool theory. :)

I'm not sure that the Tyranids are interested in giving up, though... in fact, I can't think of any circumstance where the Tyranids actively fled battle except after Hive Fleet Behemoth's *** kicking at the hands of the Ultramarines and Imperial Battle Fleet due to the largest ship in the Hive Fleet being destroyed. At least as far as the fight between the Orks and Hive Fleet Leviathan goes, I don't imagine that the Tyranids will ever stop trying to consume the Orks. There's far too much to gain by eventually overpowering the Orks to give up. Besides, I've always personally thought that there was a limit to just how big and nasty Orks would get if subjected to constant warfare. We know from reports from Armageddon that even extremely young Orks are equal in size to full grown Orks born on other worlds, as the bodies of the young Orks are influenced so heavily by the magnitude of the fighting. It has to stop somewhere though, or we'd eventually have baby Orks the size of Dreadnoughts fighting off dozens of Gaunts at a time.

08-25-2009, 09:13 AM
MAYBE there is no more galaxies and the tyranids ate all the others so our galaxy is the only one left to eat, but it is harder cause there is so many factions fighting each other??? otherwise i don't know!

Drew da Destroya
08-25-2009, 10:34 AM
This seems plausible yes. Good for you on coming up with such a cool theory. :)

Thanks!

I'm not sure that the Tyranids are interested in giving up, though... in fact, I can't think of any circumstance where the Tyranids actively fled battle except after Hive Fleet Behemoth's *** kicking at the hands of the Ultramarines and Imperial Battle Fleet due to the largest ship in the Hive Fleet being destroyed.

I'm pretty sure the Tyranid Fleet above Medusa stopped fighting and just drifted once it was clear that they had lost. The Hive Mind just left them to be swallowed by the warp rift, or whatever it was that finally destroyed that planet.

At least as far as the fight between the Orks and Hive Fleet Leviathan goes, I don't imagine that the Tyranids will ever stop trying to consume the Orks. There's far too much to gain by eventually overpowering the Orks to give up. Besides, I've always personally thought that there was a limit to just how big and nasty Orks would get if subjected to constant warfare. We know from reports from Armageddon that even extremely young Orks are equal in size to full grown Orks born on other worlds, as the bodies of the young Orks are influenced so heavily by the magnitude of the fighting. It has to stop somewhere though, or we'd eventually have baby Orks the size of Dreadnoughts fighting off dozens of Gaunts at a time.

I think that Ghazkhull is something like 9-10 meters tall at this point, after a good 75 years of fighting. That's somewhere around 30' tall at this point! I don't have a source to cite for that number, though, so my number may be incorrect. Regardless, if any Ork is approaching maximum size, it's Ghazzie. And even if my numbers are wrong and he's only 10 feet tall, that's still a pretty powerful ork, probably pretty capable of taking on a Tyrant, if not a 'fex.