PDA

View Full Version : Nidzilla 2000pts...

Ghoulio
03-10-2010, 03:28 PM
I have been primarily playing a swarm based list for the last 13 years or so, and after doing a couple of tournaments I am noticing that it is somewhat difficult to get all my turns in (and being swarm the last 2 turns are the ones I generally win in). I also wanted something that plays a lot differently then my main list, while still staying with Tyranids so I figured I would go for something a bit...bigger. So here it is:

HQ
Hive Tyrant - Bonesword, Lash Whip, Heavy Venom Cannon, Old Adversary, Leech Essence, Paroxysm
Tyrant Guard (2)

Elites
Venomthropes (2)
Hive Guard (2)
Hive Guard (2)

Troops
Termagants (20)
Termagants (20)
Tervigon - Adrenal Glands, Toxin Sacs, Catalyst and Cluster Spines
Tervigon - Adrenal Glands, Toxin Sacs, Catalyst and Cluster Spines

Heavy Support
Mawloc
Trygon - Adrenal Glands
Carnifex Brood (2) - 2xTwin Linked MC Devourers

Total Army Cost 2000pts right on the dot

So this army has 48 Toughness 6 wounds with the ability to make tonnes of little gribblies. It also has two MC Units that have 8 wounds each and will be getting Feel No Pain to walk up the middle and two big MC's playing havoc in the Enemies deployment zone (Mawloc/Trygon). I have had a bunch of test games with the Carnifex's to see if they are as bad as people say and they did way better then I figured they would, especially with the Devourers (24xStr 6 twin linked shots per turn is pretty beastly).

As I have never played anything even close to a Nidzilla list (the most MCs I have ever had in 2000pts is 3) I would love to get some comments from someone who has and knows their downfall.

Chumbalaya
03-10-2010, 04:06 PM
I like it, just a few things.

Your Termagants will give you plenty of cover, you can lose the Venomthropes. Grab more Hive Guard or a Podding Zoanthrope Brood to help deal with armor.

I'd look into Tyrannofexes to give you some heavy firepower on a sturdy platform. Hive Guard annihilate light armor, Tyrannos threaten the big stuff.

Trygon and Mawloc seem kinda out of place, just popping up with no real support.

foostoofoo
03-10-2010, 04:08 PM
No zoans? I see you want to go nidzilla, but I always think zoans are a must in nid armies now, for that anti tank. Yes your MC's could do this, but no way near as efficient at gettin the job done.

I would personally drop the venompthropes, I have found that their abilities do not make up their points.

So what I would do is, scratch the venoms, make the two 2 man hive guard units just one 3 man unit. Get 2 zoans and buy them a pod. I'm not sure exactly on points, but I think that should balance out pretty evenly (if maybe 10 points off or so).

The one thing I think you should think about, is how this army would do against mech guard or any mech army really.

From a competitive point of view, I feel nidzilla lists are no longer up there with the major players.
But as an army to actually play I recon this army could be a lot of fun :)

Hope things go well :)

Stoo

Ghoulio
03-10-2010, 04:30 PM
I actually intentionally didn't include Zoans. I have a unit of 3 in a drop pod for my main list, and the do well. I figured I would try something different.

There are 3 main reasons I have the Venomthropes in there. 1) the termagants will only give cover to the Hive Guard (since they are less then half the height of the MCs in the list). If they could get cover for all my MCs, then you better believe I would just forget the Thropes :) . 2) *Hopefully* I can block LOS to them with the Carnifexs, so they will last longer then Turn 1. 3) I also really like the idea of having the carnifexs in the middle, with the Thropes behind them, hopefully keeping a model from each termagant unit within range, so if anyone charges me they lose their assaulting bonus and have to take a dangerous terrain check. Also, if someone is shooting at them instead of anything else in the army all the better lol. I really like the idea of cover for everything in the army, regardless of terrain.

That being said I will try it out as it might just end up being that they get hosed and arent worth it. If that is the case then i will just drop them, a unit of hive guard, adrenal glands from the Trygon and pick up a unit of 3 podding zoans. I know they are an amazing unit and will almost always get their points back. If I do this I will just change Old Adversary to Hive Commander for a bit more insurance.

As far as tryannofex's are concerned I really really don't think they are worth it. They are just WAY too many points and are completely brutal in Hand to Hand, so giving them 18" or lower range guns isnt so great. Hell Hound Flamer Templates are good, just not for 250+pts.

I added the Trygon/Mawloc for something to disrupt the opposing army while the main block of the army moves up, hopefully doing some damage in the process. With both of them (specifically the Trygon) I can just leave them in the army and have them move up as not to break things up. The only thing I could think of adding instead would maybe be another unit of 2 Carnifexs, maybe that would fit better in with the theme...although i do love the Trygon/Mawloc models :P

Thanks again for the comments, definitely gives me something to think about :)

Chumbalaya
03-10-2010, 07:45 PM
Tyrannos are all about the rupture cannon. 6 T6 wounds with a 2+ save firing from across the board is a big problem for any army, 2 of those with Terivgons, 'fexes, Hive Guard and a Hive Tyrant is just silly.

Ghoulio
03-20-2010, 09:01 AM
Okay, so I have moved away from the Nidzilla theme a little bit after putting in some more games, and playing against the Swarmlord, I have decided to change it up a bit. Here is the revised list:

HQ
Swarmlord
Tyrant Guard (3)
The Parasite of Mortex

Elites
Zoanthropes (3)
Hive Guard (2)
Hive Guard (2)

Troops
Hormagaunts (20) - Toxin Sacs
Termagants (20)
Tervigon - Toxin Sacs, Onslaught, Catalyst, Cluster Spines