PDA

View Full Version : 'Kill any enemy instantly' 1500 pt IG!

Tombworld
03-11-2010, 05:23 AM
Hi all!
Ok, the title's a little hyperbolic, but I wanted to get across the idea that I've gone for a 'enemy can't run or hide' concept for this list. I hate, HATE allowing my enemy to seek refuge in cover! In my opinion, the use of cover is an integral element in any battle plan, something that any army, no matter how tough or bad-*** (with a possible exclusion of the necrons) must employ.
To that end, I'm going to employ some units that will ideally prevent the enemy from either hiding or running. the plan is for there to be No-WHERE that's safe on the battlefield! I also want every unit to be as threatening as dangerous as it can be so everything, no matter how innocuous, can be a threat to something in his army. Here's the list, and my thinking behind each of the units:

Heavy Support:
Colossus,
Colossus,
2xHydra Flak Tank

The Colossus can chuck out a STR 6, AP3 large blast template. That'll insta-kill marines, or just about any standard infantry, on a 2+. Best of all, it negates cover, and can reach anywhere on the battlefield! It does have a minimum 24" range, but the idea is to place these at the back left and right of my lines, so one can cover the other's minimum range bubble. Also, having two means I'm not relying so much on a 'lucky shot'

The Hydra Flak tanks, IMHO are a great bargain. Because of their surprisingly low cost, they're possibly the only vehicle I'd consider deploying as a squadron. Their obvious use is as transport poppers, and of course, some transports, as well as units like scarabs, can get cover saves from moving really fast. But not against the hydra. I've also found the one that I've been fielding to be very handy against more diverse targets like monsterous creatures and heavy infantry; if you can reliably force 'em to make save rolls, they WILL go down, and those twin-linked auto-cannons do just that.

Fast Attack:
Valkyrie with Rocket pods,
Valkyrie with Rocket Pods,
Vendetta.

The Valkyries will do what they do best; they'll be transporting some melta-toting nastiness! I want them in this list because I want to be able to reach any part of the battlefield, I don't want anywhere to be safe for the enemy. The MRP's on the vendettas are great and make for a very effective anti-horde option. The main purpose is to either send the valks behind enemy lines from the get go, and drop off their melta-carrying cargo, or to rush the enemy ASAP, or possibly to enter play from reserve.

The Vendetta is there for its long range, hard-hitting ability. While the melta-carrying valks may take time to get into position, the vendetta can be blasting away from the get go.

H.Q.
CCS w/4xMelta Guns (Mounted in Valkyrie)
CCS w/3xPlasma Guns, Chimera W/Hull heavy flamer, turret multi-laser

THe first CCS is obviously going to be transported in a valk, and be ready to melta any MC's or tough enemy vehicles. They're going to be joined in that task by a similarly armed PCS to whom the CCS can issue that lovely 'Bring it down!' order.

The second CCS is 'backfield defence'. They'll stay close to the back of my lines, ready to offer a plasma heated welcome to any deep-striking units such as terminator that may wish to take out my hydras or colossus. This CCS will also be around to issue orders to the infantry units, and have a Chimera to either add to the weight of longrange fire (multi-laser), or to offer mobility and a heavy flamer that'll help this unit get where it need to be to intercept unwelcome guests.

Troops:
PCS W/4xMelta Guns (Mounted in valkyrie),
Infantry Squad W/Lascannon,
Infantry Squad W/Auto-cannon, Chimera w/hull heavy flamer and turret Multi-laser.
Infantry squad W/auto-cannon, Chimera as above.

The PCS rides in a valk doing...well, that's abvious isn't it! Ideally, they'll stay within 12" of the CCS that's doing the same so they can be issued with 'Bring it down!'

The Las cannon infantry squads are mostly there to 'take the bullet' for the hydras and colossus'. I'll place them in such a way that they'll get in the way of anything that tries to assault or otherwise harm the batteries. Having said that, they're designed to also pose a risk to the enemy. I expect they'll be ignored, but then again, with the CCS around, that's two twin-linked lascannons that the enemy's giving a free-ride. Also, these guys will ideally be claiming objectives in my end of the board, or at a pinch, could embark on the chimeras or vendetta fth the lascannon, they're still cheap!or last-minute objective grabs.

The Auto-cannon troops have chimeras, but may not be deployed in them. again, I plan on having themmostly designated as guardians of the artillery/flak batteries. They'll deploy close to those vehicles, ideally in cover, and reach out and touch the enemy with the long range of their AC's, or claim objectives, or intercept surprise enemy intruders by any means necessary.

The Chimeras are there to also protect the ordnance and intercept enemy who get too close. They're great for blocking assaults, or taking up ground in which the enemy may wish to deepstrike. In addition, the ir mutli-lasers tend to often do more damage to various units than you'd think, and the heavy flamer can also help with any close by enemies in cover (I'm thinking infiltrating troops mostly).Alternatively, they're good pillboxes for my heavy-weapon toting infantry squads, should they need cover. Finally, I could keep them handy if I wish to load up some troops for a late objective grab.

What I'm hoping is that this army lists has plenty of units that are very threatening to the enemy; if he goes for, say the colossus', he's ignoring the melta gun carrying vets. Even the troops should not be ignored; ideally, two of those squads have twin-linked lascannons (Bring it down!), and besides, it's troops that win the game...

The colossus, valkyries, troops and chimeras can tackle hordes and other infantry, the vendetta, lascannon troops and melta vets can take care of vehicles/MC's, the hydras can take care of transports (and other stuff besides; they're very versatile!) I've got mobility from the vendettas and the chimeras, five troop choices and most of all, I can get the enemy wherever they chose to hide!

I hope this succeeds in it's task of ruening the enemy's plans of seeking refuge anywhere on the battlefield, and hopefully, the weaknesses in the list (yeah, those fragile colossus are gonna be priority number one!), they've been accounted for as well as can be expected.

Any criticism, advice or comments are very welcome!

Herald of Nurgle
03-11-2010, 05:58 AM
You can't issue orders to units in vehicles or if you are in a non-Chimera vehicle.

Otherwise, I like the concept. I mean, I REALLY like the concept. Sure my brothers in the Lord of Plagues will be slaughtered by the dozen, but mneh - I never liked them anyway.

Tombworld
03-11-2010, 06:47 AM
Thanks for the compliment on the list! That's great to hear!

As for the orders, I'll be issueing the CCS-in-the-valk's orders to the PCS after they have both jumped out to do their meltagun thing.

The 'Backfield' CCS will issue their orders to any infantry squad that isn't embarked in a chimera; there will be at least two (most likley the lascannon guys) in a 'sit-and-shoot' role from the start. Maybe all of 'em in fact; the Chimeras may well speed off and do their own thing. Great as they are as transports, they're pretty nifty units in their own right!

Fearspect
03-11-2010, 08:11 AM
You forgot a second unit of troops.

Tombworld
03-12-2010, 07:10 AM
Crud forgot the troops! This list used to have a vet squad, I forgot to replace 'em with a PCS. Doing so makes the list look like this:

Heavy Support:
Colossus,
Colossus,
2xHydra Flak Tank

Fast Attack:
Valkyrie with Rocket pods,
Valkyrie with Rocket Pods,
Vendetta.

H.Q.
CCS w/4xPlasma Guns, Chimera W/Hull heavy flamer, turret multi-laser

Troops:
PCS W/4xMelta Guns (Mounted in valkyrie),
PCS W/4xMelta Guns (Mounted in Valkyrie)
Infantry Squad W/Auto-cannon, Chimera w/hull heavy flamer and turret Multi-laser.
Infantry squad W/auto-cannon, Chimera as above.

And I have five points to play with, mebbe they could go on bolters for the PCS's, or a 'nade launcher for one of the infantry squads. An alternative would be to replace the A.C. squad's AC's for flamers or grenade launchers, and have a vet squad with 3 meltas in place of that PCS with 4. Seems pretty much of a muchness. Really, 4 Meltas, even at BS 3, should be able to make an impression, epecially if the PCS's team up! Too bad I lose the ability to issue 'Bring it down!', but hey, there ya go.

DarkLink
03-12-2010, 11:33 AM
[COLOR="Navy"]The Colossus can chuck out a STR 6, AP3 large blast template. That'll insta-kill marines, or just about any standard infantry, on a 2+.

Since when could str 6 inflict instant death on T4:p?

karandras
03-13-2010, 08:32 AM
I have seen a lot of IG lists lately bringing two company command squads. I see the benefits, but it seems rather daft. Like running two SM Chapter Masters in the same list. Doesn't really seem to fit the fluff or theme of the 40k universe. Just my opinion, but others may agree if there are comp scores at the tournament it may be something to consider. The list definitely is competitive though, no doubt about that!

Tombworld
03-13-2010, 08:41 AM
"Since when could str 6 inflict instant death on T4"

Since that STR6 blast has AP3, and ignores cover! If they have FNP, We'll-be-back, invulnerable saves or AV2, they're gonna fare better, but I'll be glad to meet an opponent who scoffs at the might of the colossus!

therealjohnny5
03-13-2010, 04:16 PM
it doesn't instant kill, just ignores saves..great list by the way my man.

Tombworld
03-14-2010, 05:34 AM
Yeah, my bad. I suppose Insta-kill isstill different to 'kills-without-saves-for-most-stuff'. I should say it just causes wounds easy, and disallows a lot of the forms an opponents could typically rely on.

But thanks for the support for the list! I shall have to try it out ASAP.I'll go down the proxy route to see if it all works the way I hope it will, then I'm gonna have to buy another Hydra and do some nifty conversion work for the Colossus since that new Basilisk kit doesn't include parts to make the rest of the cool-*** artillery IG have available. *Grumble*