PDA

View Full Version : The NOVA Open - 8/14/10 - Indy Circuit Vegas Qualifier

MVBrandt
03-11-2010, 11:37 AM
Good Afternoon,

The NOVA Open, Virginia's only current / first Vegas qualifying Circuit Tournament for Warhammer and Warhammer 40k will be on August 14, 2010 of this year.

Although more information and registration data is available at http://novaopen.com and will be more detailed as the event date becomes closer, here's a few brief primers for the moment:

1) Make a vacation out of it! Games Day 2010 in Baltimore is nearby, and is the Saturday after the NOVA Open, allowing the intrepid summer adventurer to head for a week of fun and sun in our nation's capital, with a Vegas qualifying GT on one end, and Games Day on the other.

2) This will be a 4 round tournament with over $4,000 in prizes and growing, with EQUAL awards and recognition for all style of hobbyist and gamer (from the ultra competitive to the extremely artistic), all for the flat registration fee of $50.

3) 2,000 Points Warhammer 40k; 2,250 Points Warhammer Fantasy

4) The opportunity to have an opinion-based role in the development of the tournament; comment and discuss tournament-related subjects ranging from sportsmanship and composition to scenarios and scoring at one of the tournament organizer's blogs at http://whiskey40k.blogspot.com (search through the blog for tournament related subjects, such as sportsmanship, composition, scenarios, etc.).

5) 64 slots for 40k, 64 slots for Fantasy in a 10,000 square foot facility at the Dulles Expo Center in Northern Virginia, mere minutes from Washington, DC, and approximately 1 hour from Baltimore Games Day. There is a hotel on site, and hotel booking / details will be available on the website in the near future.

Again, far more information, FAQ's, rules packets, etc., will be forthcoming as the date gets closer.
An important note for 40k participants (and Fantasy, to a lesser extent) is that the event is filling up more rapidly and earlier than we anticipated. If you think there's a good chance you'll be attending, registering early is a very good idea. If we fill, our ability to expand to more slots may be there, but will almost certainly come at a higher registration price for later sign-ups.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me here or e-mail me at [email protected]

MVBrandt
04-02-2010, 08:24 AM
Bump!

Information update ...
Combined best performance for Renaissance Man for each system will be a superior prize to the above, as will the competitive Tournament Champion for each event.

4 Major “Soft” Awards (Sportsmanship, Players’ Choice, Painting, Conversion by system)

4 Major “Competitive” Awards (Each 4-0 Finisher by system)

2 Top Awards (Renaissance Man – Combined scores; Tournament Champion – Competitive)

Sunday “Final Four” 2-Round Invitational for the 4-0 Finishers in each system

Top-in-Bracket Awards for 2-2, 3-1 brackets; Door Prizes and Random Draw Prizes throughout the day

Spots continue to sell at a faster-than-anticipated rate for so many months out.
Sponsorships are rising, resulting in a higher than advertised prize pool (and more "swag" for all).

MVBrandt
04-06-2010, 02:16 PM
Bump

Extensive chatter about the tournament and answers to questions can be found here:
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/283625.page

We've sold over half our 40k slots now, so anyone planning on attending may want to snag their slot quickly.

MVBrandt
04-15-2010, 11:09 AM
Primer missions up at Whiskey40k:
http://whiskey40k.blogspot.com/2010/04/nova-open-primer-missions.html

MVBrandt
05-19-2010, 01:13 PM
Bump, not sure how much purchase I've gotten here in BOLSCONville, but we're up to over $6k in prizes and still growing, and I figured I'd give a bump for posterity's sake if nothing else.

Also, a lot of "net celeb" attendance from around the country is making things even more interesting, with well known forumites from as far away as California, Wisconsin, Utah, Florida, etc., all attending.

MVBrandt
06-09-2010, 03:21 PM
Well, any of the people here who've always wanted to take a crack at $telek ... added to the attendee list.

For any BOLS types pondering attending, we're down to 9 slots in 40k. Feel free to PM me if you'd like me to "hold" a spot for travel arrangements ... I can do my best for those who are going to take the energy/time to head out here.

MVBrandt
06-29-2010, 08:07 AM
Sold out 40k. Opened 16 more 40k slots, and sold those out that day. Willing to open a further/final 16 to a total of 96, presuming we get that many wait listees. So, wait list up by e-mailing me, making a Friday Night Donation (via website) for $0.00 (you set the rate).

Jwolf
06-29-2010, 03:56 PM
My wife claimed August to make up for my being gone for most of July. I hope you have this again next year, as I'd like to attend (and maybe scheduling will be possible).

MVBrandt
08-03-2010, 06:06 AM
We were able to open some 40k slots *AGAIN,* about 3 of which are left. Field of 96 for 40k.