PDA

View Full Version : GW Models You Particularly Like

Drunkencorgimaster
08-05-2009, 06:52 AM
Most of us like a large percentage of GW models, but some have been created "more equal than others." What are some of the GW models that really float your boat? Which are your favorites?

Drunkencorgimaster
08-05-2009, 06:56 AM
For me I would say that the new Valkerie is reallly a first-rate model. It looks like a sci-fi version of the Soviet Hind gunship.

The Basilisk is a old-time favorite. It just is a nasty-looking weapon. Long barrel, loading platform. Very cool.

Aldramelech
08-05-2009, 07:01 AM
Love the Chaplain in Terminator armour. Just looks fantastic. Ive got one and Im almost afraid to paint it! lol

Rookie1
08-05-2009, 07:06 AM
Eldar Harlies: Dynamic poses and hell of a paint job.

Phoenix Lords: Maugan Ra, Jain Zar and Karandras. When you look at them, they show no mercy and you can see all the arrogance and rage these half-gods have. Love it.

Ork Burna Boys: Pyromaniacs. Nuff said.

kanisX
08-05-2009, 08:22 AM
Some of my fav models are:

Eldar Striking Scorpions with Karandras, Ork Stormboys with Zagstruk, and the good 'ol Rhino.

Madjob
08-05-2009, 08:46 AM
Without a doubt, the new Ork Trukk. Probably one of the best plastic kits they've ever made, full of character and easy to personalize, even if you only have rudimentary converting skills. The new Ork Nobz box is also really great, although I wish the legs and torsos had been separate pieces.

Outside of the Ork line, the plastic Wraithlord comes to mind as an absolutely beautiful kit, as well as the Carnifex.

When it comes to metal models, I really like the SM veterans and just about any of the Vostroyan models. Generally I don't like metal for modeling purposes but I can't deny how great some of them look.

Vepr
08-05-2009, 09:06 AM
Even though they are kind of a pain to put together I really like the Hive Tyrant. A plastic version would be nice...

blueshift
08-05-2009, 09:55 AM
i'm a bit old school...

DE Archon (gotta love that face stapled on)
incubi line
wyches (j/k lol)
Phoenix Lord models
Old Bloodthirster
Warp Spiders
Swooping Hawks
Almost all IG tanks
Hive Tyrant
Carnifex
Newest commisar release
4th ed release space marines/vets (during the days of the powerfist spam)
newest terminator chaplain (too bad they were totally nerfed!)
terminator models in general (the sheer bulk of the new ones is amazing)
Land Raider
THE WHOLE ORK LINE IS AMAZING -- they really rewarded the patience of the ork players

Duke
08-05-2009, 09:59 AM
I really like the new Wraithlord model. Not only is it a huge imporvement off the walking Egg, which was the previous Wraithlord, but it is very posable and convertable. I have started converting a WraithLord for each aspect warrior shrine, they look very cool.

-Duke Von Lichtenstein Der Geldenland

oni
08-05-2009, 10:01 AM
Love the Chaplain in Terminator armour. Just looks fantastic. Ive got one and Im almost afraid to paint it! lol

+1 to that.

emperorsaxe
08-05-2009, 10:24 AM
Any of the SM captains or for that matter any of the veteran sgt's that are available they're some of the coolest mini's out there right now. IMHO anyway.
Respects, Emperorsaxe

Wryda
08-05-2009, 10:30 AM
well for me it would be the old commissar Yarrick :p and the RT space marines :cool:

Asymmetrical Xeno
08-05-2009, 10:38 AM
Tzeentch Flamers, Screamers and horrors - Beautifully Lovecraftian, asymmetrical, daemonic and actually pretty mind-melting, just how I imagine daemons to look.

Necron monolith - The most original and creative vehicle design in the whole game, its like a big giant DALEK mixed with an egyptian pyramid that has a giant killer crystal...thats frackin' awesome!

Tyranid Spore Mines - Cool lookin' things, they look like mini cthulhu spawns, but im a sucker for anything with tentacles. Sorry, thats an awful pun.

VinceBlack
08-05-2009, 11:00 AM
Terminator Chaplain is one of my favorites, Assault Chappy is good as well. But if you want to discuss what model needs to be made... A new Terminator Captain model. The old one is just so old...

veritechc
08-05-2009, 11:00 AM
My current favorite is the Ork Nob box. The models turn out awesome and I have enough extra bits to make all kinds of other Orks.

Gotthammer
08-05-2009, 01:34 PM
The humble marine tac box - it has a huge amount of variety and customisation options on its own, and is combinable with pretty much every plastic kit out there.

The Necromunda Gangs, while not necissarily technically perfect, had so much character to them that everybody wanted them when they came out, even if they weren't playing.

For individual models the original Dreadnought - so mean looking and pretty unique. I like the coffin on legs, but the older one was so much more dynamic and fierce IMO.

And lastly the RT era Techmarines - just because having a marine running around with a toolbox or giant screwdriver is really neat.

person person
08-05-2009, 01:36 PM
TERMINATOR CHAPLAIN, it looks evil, yet put it in a terminator squad and it fits right in.

GREY KNIGHT MODELS, They're all awesome.

MONOLITH,'cause it original

DAEMON PRINCE OF CHAOS, its so evil and huge!!!

Trinity
08-05-2009, 01:46 PM
The metal Slaaneshi Daemonettes. GW just struggles with the female form and this one time they got it right.

Ig Sentinel. Love the look of walkers and the kit is a blast to build and paint.

Kahoolin
08-05-2009, 05:36 PM
I really like the commissar with his hand behind his back aiming his bolt pistol. Great pose that fits the model's theme, and he's not overdone and dripping with bling like a lot of GW's character models.

I also agree the Wraithlord is cool. I want to get one even though I currently own zero Eldar models and have no interest in collecting an Eldar army.

Sangre
08-05-2009, 05:46 PM
Furioso Dreadnought. Huge, lumbering war engine, that's also fiercely dynamic? Hell yes.

the_puritan
08-05-2009, 06:46 PM
"killer robots are hiding in the flesh of your friends." - now no longer a phrase only spoken by that crazy guy on the stoop of the 7-11, but also a sweet model for Necrons!

i seriously started a Necon army just to paint Flayed Ones.

Farsight
08-13-2009, 02:13 PM
Kasrkin: pure awesome

Stealthsuit XV15: It looked stealthy and isn't bulky like the new ones

Carnifex: (the newest one) Who doesn't like a 20 foot tall beetle with guns?

BuFFo
08-13-2009, 02:31 PM
Most of us like a large percentage of GW models, but some have been created "more equal than others." What are some of the GW models that really float your boat? Which are your favorites?

Drazhar, Master of Blades

Jiggs
08-26-2009, 11:44 AM
The terminator chaplain, it just looks evil and if you paint it right it looks even more evil.
The tyranid brood lord......its just cool looking and so easy to paint.
Tzeentch horrors because they're different from just about every other gw model.
Ghazghkull, he's huge and fun to see the size comparison of him and a swarm of ork boys surrounding him.

Psychosplodge
08-26-2009, 12:39 PM
The terminator Captain,
The Dark Angels chaplain (assuming it hasn't been updated and I've missed it lol)
The Dark Angels Librarian, the one with the two handed sword.
The Cadian officer at attention with sword and monocle
The old necromunda bounty hunter with twin bolt pistols and big coat
The stormtroopers prior to the kasrkin but only the ones in gasmasks
The IG Sentinal, especially the armaggedon varient
The SM veteran with the lightning claws
The plasma cannon space marine
The land raider
The old jump pack, the one that looked like two massive jet engines on a backpack
The predator destructor
The metel mkVIII SM

HellCrusader
05-10-2010, 10:53 AM
I really like the commissar with his hand behind his back aiming his bolt pistol. Great pose that fits the model's theme, and he's not overdone and dripping with bling like a lot of GW's character models.

With you all the way.
Also love the sternguard vets. For me theyre everthing a tac. marine should be.

david5th
05-10-2010, 12:53 PM
The Shadowsword / Stormlord Kit. Gorgeous looking in a destructive way.

Melissia
05-10-2010, 03:29 PM
Forgeworld counts, right? My favorite model in ALL GW productions is the DKK commissar drawing his sword.

Old_Paladin
05-10-2010, 04:13 PM
I know this is a 40k thread... but the title just says games workshop models, so...

I actually think 40K often gets the short end of the modeling stick.
There is a huge range of fantasy models that are unbelievably well done: the Wood Elf noble with double-handed sword, dark elf executioners, the slann, VC skeletons and ghouls, stormvermin, screaming bell, Corsairs, Lion Chariot.

I find there just aren't the same number of quality models within 40k. There are somethings that really standout for me though.
The updated ork range is some of the best things there are; the new kanz, battlewagon, stormboyz, shock attack gun and runt-herder are great.
Also, the blood angel terminators from space hulk... they are some of the best models done, period.

I just find that they don't take the great leaps forward in improvements that fantasy will. It tends to be the same model they've always had, just re-packaged to be easier to build.
There are things in the future that might/will be a complete re-do (Sisters, Necron, Grey Knights, Dark Eldar); for these things, I hope they go all-out and bring us some of the newer stunning quality work we know they can do (when they make things iconic, instead of cookie-cutter).

lobster-overlord
05-10-2010, 07:24 PM
I have a very old Blood Angels Vet Sgt with Right Handed power fist in a pointing stance. I gave him a banner pole pack and a left handed power fist and he looks awesome.

Fellend
05-11-2010, 02:58 AM
I like the Sicarus model, He just seems to say I'm better than you.

Melissia
05-11-2010, 07:47 AM
I like the Sicarus model, He just seems to say I'm better than you.

That's because his fluff also says that. Which is why many people hate the *******.

Fizzics
05-14-2010, 09:53 PM
I really like the Daemonhunter Inquisitor with the plasma pistol. Just think it is a great looking figure.

MajorSoB
05-14-2010, 11:10 PM
Penitent Engines - Awesome looking models just wish GW would have made rules that didnt make them so sucktacular.

All the Assassin models - ...for obvious reasons!

Lilith Hesperex - The single best reason to field a wych cult army!

The new Legion of the Damned models - Call me crazy but I bought enough to field 3 complete 10 man squads! When I get done with my last commision they are first on my list to paint.

archimbald
05-16-2010, 10:41 AM
in all honesty i really like the saint celestine and typhus models, as well as the huron and hamaydra team

Fizzics
05-16-2010, 12:41 PM
Penitent Engines - Awesome looking models just wish GW would have made rules that didnt make them so sucktacular.

All the Assassin models - ...for obvious reasons!

Lilith Hesperex - The single best reason to field a wych cult army!

The new Legion of the Damned models - Call me crazy but I bought enough to field 3 complete 10 man squads! When I get done with my last commision they are first on my list to paint.

I completely forgot about the Penitent Engines... they really are great.

murrburger
05-16-2010, 04:55 PM
The Steel Legion Commissar with the sword above his head.
Sartosan Vampire and the Aristocratic Vampire
The Whirlwind and the Terminator Chaplain model.

Legoklods
05-17-2010, 07:55 AM
Im surprized noone have said anything about the

BLOODTHIRSTER

But I think the model I like best is the shokk attack gun!:D Just look at it!!!!!
But its a b!tch assembling...

The Madman
05-18-2010, 11:54 AM
the Fantasy Chaos Warriors, Chaos Defiler and FW Avatar.

Chaos warriors - they look really intimidating easy to put together and rank.
chaos defiler - can be converted into all sorts of heavy walker styles (mine are all bipedal)
FW Avatar - the only FW model i've bought and i don't collect Eldar, i really like the way it looks.

JonnyRoxtar
05-18-2010, 12:45 PM
Urien Rakarth. Part Hamlet part Hellraiser part Joker . Whats not to like?
The new Njal Stormcaller. I suspect this model to be man of the match so many times. He is 7 shades of awesome.
The Death Company box. Indispensible for any new BA player. Its like a drop pod landed in Ratners and this is what ran out.
Dire Avengers box. Sleek aloof deadly. Eldar.
The Master of the chapter figure with the power fist holding his helmet. Very cool pose.

Too many more.

Warp
05-19-2010, 04:25 AM
Im surprized noone have said anything about the

BLOODTHIRSTER

Darn, someone beat me to this. BT's look amazing imo.

Also, as mentioned, Warriors of Chaos from the fantasy line are simply amazing and as a single model Archaon is really fine as well. The WoC fantasy line in general looks very, very good and overall I actually think there are better/finer models in the fantasy range than the 40K range (maybe it's also due to more variety that I notice them more).

For 40K I just love the look of the Chaplain in termie armour with the skull helmet and crosux (sp?). I also like the new Mawloc and maybe my favourite pice is definitely the Land Raider.

Apart from the BT I find the Greater Demons amazing but just shy of being awesome, if that made any sense. I'm sure a redone GUO would quickly vault up to become one of my favourite models, as would a new LOC (FW one is really a step in the right direction).

Hugz4Genestealers
05-19-2010, 05:28 PM
The fourth edition carnifex model is what inspired me to start collecting a tyranids army, definitely one of my favorite models.
Along the same lines, the new Trygon/Mawloc kit is excellent, it really embodies what a Monstrous Creature is supposed to look like, and have you ever compared the size of it to a normal tac marine? Huge.

eldargal
05-20-2010, 07:50 AM
Lelith Hesperax, a female that actually looks female.

The second edition (I think) and current edition Howling Banshee models. Not so much the ones in between.

If we include FW, then their Revenants and the DKOK range are superb.

Sister Rosette Soulknyt
05-20-2010, 10:01 AM
For me it is undoubtfully Ephrael Stern miniature. A limited Edition but fantastic, im painting one right now.

Also Saint Celestine, truly inspiring and set the benchmark for lesser SM copies like Sanguinor and Astoroth.

Madness
05-23-2010, 02:57 AM
Not 40k, but I love it so much it hurts me not to mention it: the green knight. I also fancy the design of the original Errant armor, with the round feet joint.

Porty1119
06-12-2010, 02:34 PM
Is Forgeworld included? If so, then the Vulture. By the way, do you have to have a Photobucket account or some other image hosting thing to post pics?

Thirteen
06-12-2010, 03:22 PM
My current fave at the moment is Gabriel Seth I just had to buy it. His face just shows so much emotion for a little piece of metal. Although Maugan Ra and Typhus will always hold a special place in my heart, I started playing the eldar and chaos marines just because I loved those two models.

Also, I have been in love with the Malanthrope ever since I've laid eyes on it.

Squirrel_Fish
06-12-2010, 04:08 PM
The only model that I've spent more hours trying to own than would spend on painting it.

Gideon Lorr (http://coolminiornot.com/index/whatm/GW/id/233359)

razcalking
06-12-2010, 05:58 PM
Models that inspired me to start an army:

- Ork Bikers
- Steel Legion Guardsmen

Porty1119
06-13-2010, 06:04 PM
Steel Legion look ridiculously awesome. Period.

Brotherjames
06-14-2010, 11:46 AM
Pedro Kantor is by far my fav, followed by the Terminator captain, and the unmasked SoB with Hvy bolter (dunno why)

LidlessPraetor
06-14-2010, 04:30 PM
I'm real suprized no one has said the Emperor's Champion. He's so plain looking, but you know from experience that he packs a punch. My personal fav is Sammael though. Imperial Jetbike, 'nough said. #2 is the special edition Dark Angels commander with the combi-plasma. I put angel wings on mine, and gave him a powersword. I'll post pics if I ever get a camera...

Melissia
06-14-2010, 04:39 PM
If it doesn't include forgeworld, then it has to be the Armored Sentinel.

murrburger
06-14-2010, 07:47 PM
Which Emperor's Champion? The one with the two-handed sword (old one) or the one holding the sword above his head (new one)?

I really like the old one, and I'm sad that you can't buy it anymore. New one is good, but not as good.

LidlessPraetor
06-14-2010, 08:06 PM
I meant the new one. I have the old one in a bitz box, and other than his sword being twice his size, there's nothing special about him, imo.

Neff
06-15-2010, 05:59 PM
Possesed Chaos Space Marines. They're so customizable and mutatey! I love em!