PDA

View Full Version : GW team Deported?!?!?!

Jgolden
07-31-2015, 11:57 AM
A friend at the show running a booth passed on that the GW team was operating under tourist visas and got ousted.

Anyone else see/hear about this?

Caitsidhe
07-31-2015, 12:03 PM
A friend at the show running a booth passed on that the GW team was operating under tourist visas and got ousted.

Anyone else see/hear about this?

I haven't heard anything about it, but if they were doing work as tourists... I suppose it is possible.

Mr Mystery
07-31-2015, 12:08 PM
Bit of a **** up if it's true.

Though from watching too many programmes about airport immigration controls etc, it seems more likely they'd be refused entry, or have to have emergency work visas issued, which given they'd be working, but not seeking work, would usually be ok.

Again, this is based off the teevee documentaries - which is pretty far removed from any kind of informed opinion!

Caitsidhe
07-31-2015, 12:34 PM
Bit of a **** up if it's true.

Though from watching too many programmes about airport immigration controls etc, it seems more likely they'd be refused entry, or have to have emergency work visas issued, which given they'd be working, but not seeking work, would usually be ok.

Again, this is based off the teevee documentaries - which is pretty far removed from any kind of informed opinion!

http://natfka.blogspot.com/2015/07/some-dirt-from-gencon.html

Erik Setzer
07-31-2015, 12:42 PM
Deported is not entirely an accurate term... The story is that GW screwed up and got the wrong visas, meaning their original team for the con was denied entry. So they went with a fallback and sent guys from the US (not sure if it was locals in the area, or from their Memphis HQ).

Given that their booth appears to be just space for one guy to talk to people with a big stack of Age of Sigmar in front of him and not even a sign, it's probably not something anyone's going to miss out on.

As an added twist, the Forge World booth right next to the GW booth, while not having a sign, still have a lot more product and more variety.

Kind of sounds like an all-around series of screw-ups from management, but maybe they'll take it as a learning experience and make sure next year they get the right visa, don't ignore their popular game, and have a sign so people can spot them.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, it might be better for them that they got turned back home... Their booth looks sad like something you expect someone doing a kickstarter or running a tiny company barely making money to have. Then you compare it to FFG, Privateer Press, even Wyrd and the guys who do Infinity, and it just looks that much more sad. Even though their setup stuff likely would have been sent over separate from the team (too much to include in flight luggage), they can still suggest that their paltry showing was because of customs, not because they don't seem to be willing to spend the money to out-do a company like Wyrd. (And I won't believe Wyrd is bigger than GW unless someone has some hard numbers to show me, and even then I might find them suspect. No offense to Wyrd, of course.)