PDA

View Full Version : 1750 Pt Tyranids

Gloomfang
03-12-2010, 02:50 PM
My wife and baby are out of town in a few weeks so it looks like I can get some play time in. I haven't had a chance to play this list yet (or any games with the new codex) so I'm looking for some input before a tournament in a few weeks.

HQ:
Tyranid Prime: Lash/Bone, Rending Claws
Tyranid Prime: Dev, Rending Claws

Elites:
1 Zoantrope
1 Lictor

Troops:
4 Tyranid War: Deathspiters, ScyTal; 1 Venom
11 Genestealers
10 Genestealers + 1 Broodlord
20 Hormagaunt Brood
20 Termagant Brood : Fleshborers
10 Termagant Brood: Dev

Fast:
4 Shrikes: Bonesword, Rending Claws
3 Raveners: Dev, ScyTal
3 Spore mine cluster [edit: forgot to add these in OP]
Heavy
1 Biovore
1 Carnifax; ScyTal, ScyTal ,Frag+ Spore(Venom)

I’m planning on having the Prime with the Dev in with the Warriors (not intending for them to get into HtH, but they can dish it out if they have too) and the LW/BS Prime I’m placing with the termagant’s with the Fleshborers.

I am thinking of getting a hive guard, but I’m not sure that I want to drop the number of genestealers below 10 per brood. I’m much more likely to drop the 4th warrior with the venom cannon. It sucks not being able to have the heavy weapon target a different target then the rest of the squad.

I’m also debating putting the Zoantrope in the pod vs. the Carnifax. But I think having only 1 monstrous creature will just paint a massive target on his head. The Zoan I can use other units to shield (and give synapse to). He’ll probably be deployed with my Devigants.

Herald of Nurgle
03-12-2010, 04:14 PM
1) No Doom of Malantai? There's massive arguments about it for a reason, you know!
2) No Tervigons? Dump some Genestealers and put one in - your objective scenarios will thank you for the scoring monstrous creature and babies :)

As far as 'first lists in codex' go I like it. But I do like an awful load of new lists... :P

Chumbalaya
03-12-2010, 06:16 PM
Hive Guard and/or Zoeys are a must, otherwise you'll have nothing to handle mech. I'd convert the Carnifex into a Tervigon and stick him as one of your Troops, grab another if possible. You can convert Warriors into Hive Guard if you don't want to shell out so much for them.

As it is, you have a battleforce army, one of everything but not enough of anything. Figure out what you want your army to do, focus your list towards it and go from there. Playtest and practice until you get comfortable enough to figure out how you want this army to progress.

Gloomfang
03-12-2010, 11:16 PM
1) No Doom of Malantai? There's massive arguments about it for a reason, you know!
2) No Tervigons? Dump some Genestealers and put one in - your objective scenarios will thank you for the scoring monstrous creature and babies :)

As far as 'first lists in codex' go I like it. But I do like an awful load of new lists... :P

He, first for THIS Codex. I've been playing a version of this list for 15 years. I'm concerned about how the Alpha's and Spores will do as they are the only new additions to the list in close to 5 years. This Codex made me laugh a bit as I could start using my old metal termi's with the strangle webbers and Spike rifles again. And the bone swords on my old 2nd ed Warriors from Space Crusade. My Carni is an old metal Screamer Killer from 2nd ed and so is my Hive Tyrant (this will be the first time I haven't fielded him since I bought him.)

As for your points:

1) I know if I put the Doom in my list I'll lose a bunch of points off my composition and sportsmanship scores. I also don't have a model for it yet. I could field the only Zoen that I have as him (its the metal 2nd Ed one with the giant head and the warrior body), but I'm not sure he is worth the points quite yet. He is the flavor of the month but I don't see him being all that much more useful for the points I'll loose before the games even start.

2)Tervigons look intresting, and I'd like to field one, but I don't have a model for one built yet. Also they look like walking KP generators. Given the Mech metagame I think they will just die to fast. My list's main strength is that all those tooled up anti-mech forces have very little to shoot at.

As for the questions of how I'll deal with mech, the sort answer is I have a ton of anti-mech, it just doesn't look like it. I'll have some issues with Russ/LR lists, but not overly so. I have 2 VC and 4 broods with rending each with buckets of attacks. Transports don't really bother me because I have no problem letting the enemy get closer to me. The vast majority of my army should be in HtH rather quickly and most of the big guns are only dangerous if you have other tanks or monstrous creatures. While it might look like a "battleforce" army, its something that I've had over 10 years playing and I know it's strengths and weaknesses very well. Every unit has a job and I know how to use them to get it done. I'm just not sure if they are up to the task anymore (I'm worried that Genestealers with 2 attacks might not be as effective anymore even at 14pts).

The things I am wondering about is my Biovore (I used to take bio-acid to help with antitank. Now I'm not to sure its wort its points.) I'm also not to sure about my Raveners, they are great at popping walkers and shredding infantry but not being able to assault out of DeepStrike might send them back to the box while I convert another 4 shrikes with boneswords and rending claws.

the smeer
03-15-2010, 09:00 AM
"I'm also not to sure about my Raveners, they are great at popping walkers and shredding infantry but not being able to assault out of DeepStrike might send them back to the box while I convert another 4 shrikes with boneswords and rending claws. "

Try using your ravaners without shooting weapons and without deepstriking. If the start on the board and run, you should be able to be in CC in round 2.
Use the fact that they have "move through cover" and are beasts, they are very fast when running/fleeting through cover.

Tynskel
03-17-2010, 04:46 PM
This is a fun list!

The only problem I see is keeping the Carnifex alive so that it can get in and do its thing. I almost wanna say a Mawloc would be better in this case. Give it Regeneration. Have it start on the board, and then have it burrow, because the Mawloc automatically comes in the turn after the burrowing.

Gloomfang
03-18-2010, 08:07 AM
This is a fun list!

The only problem I see is keeping the Carnifex alive so that it can get in and do its thing. I almost wanna say a Mawloc would be better in this case. Give it Regeneration. Have it start on the board, and then have it burrow, because the Mawloc automatically comes in the turn after the burrowing.

It is a fun list. I tend to refer to it as a Doritos list "Crunch all you want we'll make more".

As for keeping the Carnifax alive, its just a matter of knowing where to DS it. I might try to free up the points to give it bioplasma (something all SK should have anyway) so it can shoot the turn it lands. Still I tend to use the lictor to place it near some terrain and let the canifax use its move to get into or behind cover. But it is a big old fire magnet.

Don't have a Mawloc or Trygon yet. Its on my wish list. I still have 12 Termi and 12 Hom to finish painting this week as it is. I'm just glad that the shrikes I made look good. (I have to make a tutorial, I got the cost down to $4 per model.)

Tynskel
03-18-2010, 12:48 PM
Sweet!

I just built my Mawloc, and it is a sweet model.

Find 20 Points! I love the old Screamer Killer (I have one!) and the Bio-plasma just melts things.