PDA

View Full Version : Stormtrooper recost?

atreides
08-05-2009, 08:54 AM
I want to get an opinion from you guys...

A friend of mine is getting back into 40k with his old IG army. There are certain changes he wants to make to how we play to benefit himself (that I'm not kosher with) but he hit me with one that has me thinking.

To sum up, he wants to field Stormtroopers for only 10 pts each but without Deep Strike or Reconnaissance or any of the other special rules. He basically wants to have better armored guys with hotshot lasguns and that's it. For Apoc, I don't really care but for normal games...?

Do you think that is overpowered or not? I'm thinking not because the extra abilities are more than worth the extra 6 points, but you guys might know something I'm not considering...

Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.

Dosadi
08-05-2009, 09:00 AM
Tell him to play by the rules.

Or let him do it once and then suggest you start fielding things in your army for less points. Like take away ATSKNF and pay 10 points for a space marine. Or maybe you could add abilities to units. I think all Orks should be able to deep strike and assault on the turn they do so for about 4 points a model.:p

Personally I think 10 points is a little cheap to pay for a Stromtrooper even without their special operations.

Dosadi

Maturin
08-05-2009, 09:05 AM
He can actually get 10 point stormtroopers completely legally - they just have to be Inquisitorial Stormtroopers. No special doctrines - but no hotshot lasguns either, just the old hellguns. That alone should point out to your friend how unreasonable his suggestion is.

Vepr
08-05-2009, 09:05 AM
The best way is to just play test 2-3 games at every point cost to see how it effects 1000, 1500, and 2000 point battles.

Xas
08-05-2009, 09:44 AM
dont like the idea.

for maybe 14points this smells better than 10points.
while those abilities would be great and without a doubt worth 6pts/modell for some armies (especially mellee stuff) it definatelly isnt for a low guardsman.

a simple reason why troopers for 100pts for 10 isnt in any way balanced are veterans.
buy the right doctrine and you alsp pay 100pts for 10 guys with 4+ save, 4BS and NORMAL lasguns.

offer him to play space marines @10pts with only plate armor (4+ save) but infiltrate and scout and an additional ccw in return :)

Sangre
08-05-2009, 12:04 PM
Whenever anyone quibbles about points values I threaten to play my most powerful 35-point unit: the Imperial Sword Class Frigate.

crazyredpraetorian
08-05-2009, 03:26 PM
Tell him to take Vets with the Grenadier option. 10 guys 70pts + grenadier 30pts= 100pts......10 points per guy, with 4+ save, but no hot las.

Slann
08-05-2009, 08:23 PM
I think they should cost 12 point rather than what they cost now there S3 las isn't uber awesome anyway , But I do say they have there use and I field 2 squads of 5 getting 2 melta guns where you need them is awesome the hot shot las is just an added bonus that really only shows its weight against T3 or lower .

Slann
08-05-2009, 08:24 PM
oh and tell your friend to just play by the book guard already got awesome suck it up and just play it as is .

imperialsavant
08-05-2009, 11:54 PM
:
I think they should cost 12 point rather than what they cost now there S3 las isn't uber awesome anyway , But I do say they have there use and I field 2 squads of 5 getting 2 melta guns where you need them is awesome the hot shot las is just an added bonus that really only shows its weight against T3 or lower .

:)Funny you should post that as only this morning I was discussing some articles in the current WD re IG Tactics & Storm Troopers.
Whilst I do not agree with the chap who wants to "adjust" the current S\Troopers points I do think they are rather overpriced. Yes they do have AP3 Hotshot Las but they are only S3 T3 & the Hotshot only has 18" range & they get AS4.
My Black Templars cost 16 pts per model & are S4 T4 AS3 & can carry boltguns standard with S4. Sure I dont have the special rules that Codex Marines get & the STs get but they will have to roll 5s to wound to get the advantage of that AP3

In my IG Army I only take Vets with the Carapace Armour upgrades & think they are much better value especially if you send them into combat in a Valkyrie with a Commisar!

bob
08-06-2009, 07:38 AM
I think my leman russ is over priced , would he mind if I took off lumbering and dropped fifty points.

I think it's fair

And sigh at anyone who thinks I meant that

Lord Inquisitor
08-06-2009, 08:38 AM
Just tell your friends to play by the rules I say. But if he changes something to his liking you should change something to your liking.

darth_papi76
08-06-2009, 09:39 AM
Vets are the best way to go. I have 30 Kasrkins that I use to use as Storm Troopers, but with the point increase they make better vets.

Oldgrue
08-06-2009, 01:53 PM
Short answer: No.
The unit can deliver more special weapons than similarly priced marines, and have several more options available to them including cheap meltabombs and a demo charge beyond their special weapon allotment.

Grabsnikk
08-06-2009, 03:00 PM
I think that your friend is trying to gain an unfair advantage over by dropping the storm troopers to 10 points each even with the dropping of the special rules because they still have hot-shot lasguns. Just look at the inquisitorial storm troopers, they cost the same and yet have no special rules and still only have hellguns.