PDA

View Full Version : homemade movement trays

j-orge-287
03-16-2010, 11:27 AM
This is really basic stuff that most of you have probably done before if you haven't bought the GW movement trays.

Basically I got a cardboard box and put my unit on it.
I then drew round it in pencil and marked the gaps between each model on all sides.
Then I linked the lines so I had a grid.
I then cut it out and put double sided sticky tape on it so the models will stay put.

Like I said, very simple-but it works.

Dantronia
04-26-2010, 06:59 AM
That works pretty good, but if you you are lacking in double sided tape you can use cd cases. Just break and reshape them until they fit what you want. Then glue them together. The sides of the cd cases stop the models from flying al over the place. Crude, but it works. Although eventually I broke down and bought movement trays...

j-orge-287
04-27-2010, 10:21 AM
CD cases eh, ill try it when i run out of cardboard or double sided sticky tape

The Madman
05-18-2010, 11:59 AM
i'm doing mine with plastic card and some magnetic sheets as all my models have washers under their bases. they hold fairly well and makes it easier putting them on slants.

L192837465
05-19-2010, 12:58 PM
Balsa wood. for $6.00 you can make 7-8 5x6 (20mm) movement trays.

j-orge-287
06-13-2010, 10:48 AM
cool-that would work for cavalry trays and would be good for extra big 8th editon armies :P

Aldramelech
06-13-2010, 12:42 PM
Ive used plastic cut to size and rims added using kebab sticks, works really well.

rbryce
06-14-2010, 04:24 AM
ive used card before, but i glued lolly sticks round the edge and blu-tacked the minis to it after painting. but then i broke down and bought GW trays, though ive yet to use them.

j-orge-287
06-19-2010, 09:25 AM
I dont like the GW movement trays-you buy them, then find that they dont fit, so you have to pay for custom movement trays and a razor saw to cut them to size-thats GW's scam.

CitizenZero
06-20-2010, 02:52 PM
I dont like the GW movement trays-you buy them, then find that they dont fit, so you have to pay for custom movement trays and a razor saw to cut them to size-thats GW's scam.Haha...I worked at GW, anytime somebody even thought about movement trays I sold them the modular ones...also, I find that cutting them with a hobby knife works best. :)

I like how out of everything people complain about GW, that movement trays is somehow their scam :)

If you are doing plasticard movement trays, you can pick up plastic Quarter-round pieces that give your movement trays cool rounded edges!