PDA

View Full Version : White Dwarf 357 Cover (Space Wolves)

Bigred
08-05-2009, 11:43 AM
Look who's headed our way:

According to the pic we can expect a:

Codex: Space Wolves
Space Wolf Pack
Wolf Guard
Space Wolf Heroes
Space Wolf Captain (Direct only)

This is the September Issue

Pic via the Ammobunker's: BDJV (http://s3.zetaboards.com/The_Ammobunker/single/?p=8096130&t=7231813)

Dosadi
08-05-2009, 12:01 PM
I really hope this Space Wolves Heroes box is a character set that lets you make Wolf Lord/Wolf Priest/Rune Priest out of one kit. Do we think the Direct Only wolf captain is the one with the claws already available or something new?

Also, apparently Canada is a U.S. Territory now as we get the same WD. Somehow I always knew this.

Dosadi

Asymmetrical Xeno
08-05-2009, 12:16 PM
I posted the larger version here if anyones interested :
http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=354

NeedleofInquiry
08-05-2009, 12:17 PM
"They created a desolation and they called it peace"

I have a good collection of Tacitus and that quote is from his Agricola and I think Tacitus attributes it to a defeated Briton after Briton was overran by the Romans.

Its a great quote. :)

Latro_
08-05-2009, 02:37 PM
:O its pants wetting time

emperorsaxe
08-05-2009, 05:14 PM
I already have the direct only SW hero with wolf claws, it is IMHO one of the best SW minis that I've ever seen and I've been playing/collecting them since 2nd ed wh40k. For me tho' I'll be all over the SW mini's tho' whether they're direct or not.
Matter of fact I just started working on a great company captain earlier this week. So can't wait for all the wolf goodness.
Respects, Emperorsaxe

The Purge
08-06-2009, 01:44 AM
I already have the direct only SW hero with wolf claws, it is IMHO one of the best SW minis that I've ever seen and I've been playing/collecting them since 2nd ed wh40k. For me tho' I'll be all over the SW mini's tho' whether they're direct or not.
Matter of fact I just started working on a great company captain earlier this week. So can't wait for all the wolf goodness.
Respects, Emperorsaxe

... any pics? :P

thewickedworm
08-06-2009, 10:02 PM
I might even get this issue, since I don't play Space Wolves, but would like to see what models are coming up.

CrimsonFist1149
08-06-2009, 10:36 PM
Haha cool. I dont play space wolves but ive always wanted to and the new codex is a perfect excuse. now if only i had the money...

vman
08-07-2009, 09:48 PM
Im sick of imperial models getting released... GW should really attend to some other races instead

just my .02

Big Jim
08-07-2009, 11:39 PM
Dang, I forgot to post that here, I'm slippin in my old age!

It blame the excitement of more Wofy goodness!

Cheers
BDJV

Okidus
08-09-2009, 09:03 PM
Im sick of imperial models getting released... GW should really attend to some other races instead

just my .02

Double edged sword, Marines and IG are the big sellers, so they get all the good and new. Everyone else is fringe, so they only get a few. I have/had several other armies, but they always sit on the back burner since there is never anything new for them.

I would kill for a new wave of Tau goodies, even nids.

oni
08-10-2009, 10:09 AM
Double edged sword, Marines and IG are the big sellers, so they get all the good and new. Everyone else is fringe, so they only get a few. I have/had several other armies, but they always sit on the back burner since there is never anything new for them.

I would kill for a new wave of Tau goodies, even nids.

True, but Space Wolves did need a new codex just as bad as Necrons or even Dark Eldar.

I think after Codex: Space Wolves the next one should be Necrons and then Dark Eldar. The others for the most part can be left alone for just a little longer to get those two out.

Durfast Spiritwolf
08-15-2009, 08:31 AM
It's going to be a damn fine Autumn

Forbino
08-15-2009, 11:13 AM
The push should be getting 3rd edition codices done first.

That means mostly imperials, but also Dark Eldar.

Once spacewolves, that leaves Dark Eldar Daemonhunters, Witchhunters before they look at anyone else. Then work on those out of date fourth edition codices (Eldar, Black Templars, Blood Angels, Tau & Necrons).

emperorsaxe
08-15-2009, 11:27 AM
It's going to be a damn fine Autumn

I couldn't agree more.:D
Respects, Emperorsaxe

A HUGE BLUNT
08-15-2009, 02:02 PM
The push should be getting 3rd edition codices done first.

That means mostly imperials, but also Dark Eldar.

Once spacewolves, that leaves Dark Eldar Daemonhunters, Witchhunters before they look at anyone else. Then work on those out of date fourth edition codices (Eldar, Black Templars, Blood Angels, Tau & Necrons).

What a lovely pipe dream

Durfast Spiritwolf
08-18-2009, 07:08 AM
However, I hear that the Wulfen, along with the rest of 13th Coy, didn't make the final cut...

Mike Dunford
08-18-2009, 02:43 PM
As much as I'd love to see some of the xenos get updates, I think there are probably good reasons to expect the imperial stuff to get finished more quickly. As others have pointed out, here and elsewhere, the model development side of things is simply much simpler for variant imp forces because they use the same basic stuff.

Blood Angels will require a few new frames, not entire new designs. Grey Knights would be harder, but would still probably be done using a lot of existing SM components. Necrons have relatively little plastic, and would benefit from getting whole new troop types, which is a bunch more work, and DE need a top to bottom overhaul.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd rather see the xenos armies done well than fast. In the interim, GW's business model pretty much depends on getting something new out every month, so we'll probably see a lot of the easy-to-do stuff while we're waiting. For example, it wouldn't surprise me to see another smallish wave of ork stuff come out before all of the 3rd ed codexes get re-done. The existing buggy and track models no longer match the rest of the range, and flash gits still aren't available. Filling that hole is probably simple compared to a re-do of a whole army range.

I'm a chronic collector, so I'm not in a rush to see any one army. Except the space wolves. All the hints look really cool so far. ;)

Bikeninja
08-18-2009, 05:29 PM
I bought the Lightning Claw model as well and on the blister pack it is labeled "Space Wolf Captain". I hope there is another. While the model is just awesome he comes across as more Wolf Guard as opposed to Wolf Lord to me.

I am completely fired up over the new dex. This has been along time coming and I for one cannot wait.

Dosadi
08-18-2009, 06:40 PM
Tyranids are nextafter SW. Mark my words, in January or Febuary...it's gonna be bug huntin' season. After that...who knows...Blood Angels?

Dosadi

The West Coast Knight
08-18-2009, 06:52 PM
I think you may be proven incorrect about the Nids in Feb.

I here it may be Necron's

Stock up on the Boltgun Metal

Durfast Spiritwolf
08-19-2009, 02:04 AM
I bought the Lightning Claw model as well and on the blister pack it is labeled "Space Wolf Captain". I hope there is another. While the model is just awesome he comes across as more Wolf Guard as opposed to Wolf Lord to me.

I am completely fired up over the new dex. This has been along time coming and I for one cannot wait.

A SW Captain is really a Wolf Guard Battle Leader and not a Wolf Lord so no problem there...

Dosadi
08-19-2009, 07:00 AM
I think you may be proven incorrect about the Nids in Feb.

I here it may be Necron's

Stock up on the Boltgun Metal

Might be...
It's 50% speculation and 50% informed...call it an educated guess. ;)

A SW Captain is really a Wolf Guard Battle Leader and not a Wolf Lord so no problem there...

I think the Wolf Claw dude is the new "Space Wolf Captain" we are hearing about. But I wouldn’t be surprised if they made yet another metal model for us. However there is another item on that list of releases that has me jumping with anticipation; the "Space Wolf Hero" box. If it's what I think it is then I'm going to be very, very happy. Is it a plastic character kit? Will it have parts to make a Wolf Lord, Wolf Priest or Rune Priest? I sure hope so!

Considering that we tend, on average, to get three plastic kits with each new release, then the Space Wolf Pack box, the Wolf Guard Terminator box and the Space Wolf Hero box fit into this quite well. Who doesn't want to have an entirely plastic space wolf army?

Christmas is going to be the Wolf Time ‘round these parts, that’s for sure! Now the only question is, do I make a loyalist SW army or do I make the renegade crew of the Wolf of Fenris to add to my ever expanding Red Corsair army?

Dosadi

Herald of Nurgle
08-19-2009, 09:20 AM
Actually, you then notice that the longer an army has been missing, the more new kits it gets. I wouldn't ignore the idea of perhaps even more kits... Conversion kits for some existing boxes for characters and the like....

ChrisSpaceWolves
08-19-2009, 09:40 AM
Are there any whispers of a Bjorn kit? I know he's gonna be in the new codex. My guess is he will be a conversion model using the new Ironclad and parts of the regular Dread kit. :cool:

CaptainSinon
08-19-2009, 10:06 AM
if theres one thing which floats my boat its a dreadnought character :)

looking forward to this - even if im new to the wolves i know what im taking to GT next year already ;) - gonna love christmas!

but hate to spoil it - it says 358

Durfast Spiritwolf
08-19-2009, 03:06 PM
Might be...
Now the only question is, do I make a loyalist SW army or do I make the renegade crew of the Wolf of Fenris to add to my ever expanding Red Corsair army?

Dosadi

The only source for this could have been the Corsairs themselves so there is still no reliable evidence for any oathbreakers on the Wolf of Fenris, just Renegades wearing the power armour of dead Space Wolves...

Dosadi
08-19-2009, 05:36 PM
The only source for this could have been the Corsairs themselves so there is still no reliable evidence for any oathbreakers on the Wolf of Fenris, just Renegades wearing the power armour of dead Space Wolves...

Hrmmmm...
I don't know about that. I've already got one squad of space wolfs in my corsair army that I use as Khorne Berserkers. They tell me that in fact they were former space wolfs and did turn on their brothers and join up with the Tyrant of Badab. ;)

Dosadi

Mkvenner
08-19-2009, 05:40 PM

A Space Wolf Player would say that. ;)

OT
But alas, I think there wil not be a HQ plastic kit. I think there will be a Ven Dread kit, Wolf pack kit, and the Wolf Guard kit.

Reasoning behind the ven dread kit would be the lack of a plastic ven dread now. I am just wishlisting.

I remember hearing all the metal characters getting redone so I think that squashes the plasatic character box kit. I would like to be proven wrong if there are any takers though. :D

I just cant wait for the Wolves of Fenris to be unleahed on 40k again. I cant wait to see what they have doen with these new box sets.

Batman
08-20-2009, 09:25 PM
I'm truly ecstatic for the new codex, as well as the models. With GW been redoing so many old kits into plastic, I'd imagine doing an all-plastic space wolves army would be relatively easy.
As far as the rumors go, I remember seeing a rumor that wolf guard terminators with wolf claws on the charge would get 5-6 attacks or something. Can anyone confirm or deny seeing this?
Thanks.

Bikeninja
08-21-2009, 07:46 AM
That was part of the orignal set of rumors that have now been debunked. So we really don't know. The wolf claws will supposedly allow you reroll either your "to hit" or "to wound" rolls. Your choice. Now I would think that you would have to pick one or the other before you roll but GW has done crazier.

CaptainSinon
08-21-2009, 02:32 PM
like marines riding wolves?

emperorsaxe
08-22-2009, 11:50 AM
like marines riding wolves?

No more than orks riding boars, wait THAT makes perfect sense. :)
Respects, Emperorsaxe

emperorsaxe
08-22-2009, 11:54 AM
I'm likin' what I see as far as the new 3up models go tho'. Would be cool to see a different wolf lord mini tho'.
Respects, Emperorsaxe

CaptainSinon
08-22-2009, 12:24 PM
No more than orks riding boars, wait THAT makes perfect sense. :)
Respects, Emperorsaxe

you forget it doesnt need to make sense - its orks

orks so craaaazee

Bikeninja
08-27-2009, 06:00 PM
Just got these from Warseer. Don't know how much truth is in this so take with the grain so salt.

Quote Hi again.

This is floating around by Zarahemna over at LO who claims to have seen the codex. Kudos to him, apply salt, and it looks GREAT:

I have seen it. And the wonder of it has blinded me, now my only purpose is to share the awesome goodness so that all may slaver and drool in holy anticipation of what is to come.

My brothers Njal the storm caller has granted me this vision so that you too may know the terrible might of the Soace Wolves and howl as their heavy tread draws closer!

I know not of the new range of miniature representations of the sons of Russ, but I have seen the awesomeness of their almighty codex. Gather round now and listen!

Characters:

Njal Stormcaller:

Njal is back in all of his glory. The cyber raven joins him and the most easy comparison is with Tigurius, except that he wears terminator armour and carries mighty runes which blaze and improve his invulnerable save to a 4+. Truly unstoppable he remains.

A storm now covers Njal and this affects enemy shooting and combat prowess (-1 to both within 18" or something like that) and at higher levels can destroy foes and cast them around the table with it's mighty winds. Njal is the master of all six Space Wolf Psychic powers and yes, he is really expensive. Think 250+ points.

Bjorn the Fell Handed. Bjorn is incredibly strong, AV13 to the front and of course venerable. Put those two factors together and he is an almighty warrior. He has four attacks basic and is strength seven. He is also very expensive.

There is also a Telion type upgrade for the Space Wolf equivalent to scouts. This hero, more than three centuries old is the equivalent of a captain and yet with his unruly manners cannot be accepted among the battle brothers, not least because he stole one of the Chapter's thunderhawks and then crashed it during his flight. He upgrades his squad, I cannot remember how.

Battle Brothers:

All Space Wolves have counter attack and acute senses.

Wolf Guard are deceptive, they start off at a little over thirty points but they get very expensive very quickly. A wolf guard with Thunder hammer and Storm Shield weighs in at just under seventy!

There is a character with a special storm shield who can get an extra attack which represents him slapping his opponent with the shield when he charges. He also has furious charge and a thunder hammer that he can throw in a shooting attack. yes, a thrown thunder hammer. When it hits the foe there is an explosion and it reappears with a flash in his hands... Not bad eh?

Blood Claws now come in three flavours, bikers, jump packers and infantry. They remain slightly less able than regualr marines in shooting and close combat but are still really deadly...

Wulfen are gone as a unit.

There is a character who rides a Fenrisian wolf in to battle. It's a bit He-Man esque, but in a good way.

Long Fangs, Heavy Bolters for only a handful of points, you know about the same as a meltagun for regular marines... Also you can carry five heavy weapons... It's brilliant.

How much is a regular Space Wolf? xx points? Oh and you get a special weapon for free. Oh, and if you take ten you get a second special weapon for free... Ten men, and two special weapons for 150 points? Sounds good eh?

Kit? Oh yeah, every space wolf carries a chainsword, bolt pistol and boltgun. Extra attacks, I think so. You can kiss good bye to true grit though.

Oh and one last thing. Dark Angels are now not alone in being able to field Terminator only armies! SW's can field all terminator armies as one of their characters makes it possible to field T's as troops choices!

Long Fangs can split fire still, that came from the same guy later in the full post.

emperorsaxe
08-28-2009, 08:44 AM
Thanks for posting this up, looks like some things have changed and some haven't. Although I wouls imagine that the closer the release date gets the more info will surface, ala the imp codex.
Respects, Emperorsaxe