PDA

View Full Version : Good starting army?

Rafe_131
08-05-2009, 12:50 PM
Hey all. I've been playing 40k for a couple of years now, and have been toying with the idea of getting into WoTR to swith things up a little. Any suggestions for a solid start to an army that won't bust my piggy bank?

Thanks in advance for any help!

iamaddj
08-05-2009, 02:10 PM
Gondor is a pretty good starting army, they have all the basic troops in plastic and can build a very flexible force, with some allies from the Forgotten Kingdoms list they can do just about anything and have a good choice of heroes, with a lot of options for expansion (fiefdoms, Arnor, etc) when you feel like it.

For sheer cheepness Elves will be best they have a good selection of plastics and are the most expensive army point wise, so the fewest models, but I think they are not as good a choice for beginners.

If you are looking at an Evil army I would suggest Fallen Realms, lots of good plastics and a solid army, also Mumkas, how do you beat that?

Dragon Knight Of Rhun
08-05-2009, 02:40 PM
If you are looking at an Evil army I would suggest Fallen Realms, lots of good plastics and a solid army, also Mumkas, how do you beat that?

There is no better in my opinion. They have a good portion of plastics, relatively inexpensive compared to other forces (except like Elves) and they got some really nice units. I swear by The Fallen Realms of Man.

Rafe_131
08-06-2009, 06:46 AM
Cool. Thanks guys. I'm leaning more towards a Gondor/Arnor army for their flexibility....and they seem like an easy army to pick up on. (rules, abilities, etc.)

Dragon Knight Of Rhun
08-06-2009, 03:34 PM
Cool. Thanks guys. I'm leaning more towards a Gondor/Arnor army for their flexibility....and they seem like an easy army to pick up on. (rules, abilities, etc.)

Yea they are easy to pick up on, but when you want to get some of their more elite units you will find yourself spending a lot because of all the metal in the elite portion of their range.

Go for it though! :D

iamaddj
08-06-2009, 09:35 PM
Yea they are easy to pick up on, but when you want to get some of their more elite units you will find yourself spending a lot because of all the metal in the elite portion of their range.

Go for it though! :D

Its not much different for any of the other armies right now to be fair.

Dragon Knight Of Rhun
08-07-2009, 01:00 AM
Its not much different for any of the other armies right now to be fair.

True but the Fallen Realms have the most elite common plastic formations do you not agree?

Cryl
08-07-2009, 01:35 AM
True but the Fallen Realms have the most elite common plastic formations do you not agree?

True but Dol Amroth Knights are beautiful (if scarily expensive) models

Dragon Knight Of Rhun
08-07-2009, 12:31 PM
True but Dol Amroth Knights are beautiful (if scarily expensive) models

Yea, but they are metal. One of the main points of that previous discussion.

iamaddj
08-07-2009, 02:28 PM

Actually it would seem to me that Fallen Realms just have the least elite units period. They don't really have legendary formations or any real uber units, other then say half-trolls, and maybe Morgul Knights? Both of which are metal.

Dragon Knight Of Rhun
08-07-2009, 03:27 PM
Actually it would seem to me that Fallen Realms just have the least elite units period. They don't really have legendary formations or any real uber units, other then say half-trolls, and maybe Morgul Knights? Both of which are metal.

but they have the most elite commons as I said. Easterlings are quite vicious, especially with pikes and Dragon Knights. The Harad are cheap and their poisoned weapons rule is quite useful. The War Mumak is plastic, and its pretty uber. They are very dynamic and have a lot of good role units. Although their lack of any good Legendary formations always did bug me. The Abrakhan Guard would be good only in Take the High Ground missions.

iamaddj
08-09-2009, 12:28 PM
Ah I see what you meant. I would argue that Uruk-hai and Dwarfs have better basic troops, but lack an interesting viratity (and in plastic to boot).

Dark Lord
10-26-2009, 08:11 AM

Your kidding me right? We don't have any real uber units? Are you forgetting the biggest thing on the battlefield? A MUMAK!! + it is an all plastic unit. Or what about a kandish charioteer? They get + 4 dice on the charge, already having 6 attacks with a two handed weapon. You are right that we don't have very many legendary formations, but we do have some incredible epic heros like Amdur, lord of blades, dalamyr (who's ability negates all charge bonuses) and can call an epic poison rerolling all failed to hit rolls. Or what about watchers of karma? (yes I know there metal models) they are argueably the best ambushers in the game, with courage that matches captians from the other realms and a shoot value that is not to be laughed at.

Lux
10-26-2009, 02:15 PM
I would actually put in a vote for Mordor. Here's why:

Cheap troops in orcs, warg riders, and morannon orcs, even uruk hai. Defense 6/7 troops are easy to obtain, as are archers, cavalry, and hordes.

Cheap damage dealing troops in 2 handed weapon orcs. 2HW units are some of the best damage dealers in the game, especially against defense 7 or 8. Many armies are buying 3-man blisters to get these models. 2HW orcs come in the plastic box and are very cheap points-wise.

Good characters. Ringwraiths, Gothmog, Khamul, and more are all great Epic heros.

Lots of monsters. Trolls, mumak's, etc are plastic. Winged nazgul, Shelob, the two character monsters from Angmar, and more make up the metal options.

Versatility. You can justify allying just about any evil unit to a Mordor list. It's a lot tougher to argue why a Mumak should be fighting in Angmar. You can also make just about any style of army you wish using just plastic models (excepting an artillery army).

Access to magic. Few other forces can boast as many magic users.

I started with Isengard myself. I looked at mordor but the potential cost made me nervous. In retrospect, because of the amount of metal blisters I've had to buy, a Mordor force would not have been any more expensive. Angmar also interested me, but the more I've played, the more I've realized that the army of the dead models are over costed for such a low defense, and don't make great "core" troops. They're much better as a support arm of an army with orcs as the core.

Lux