PDA

View Full Version : Weird Alliances, and the fluff with them.

Levitas
03-18-2010, 05:41 PM
There is only war...as they tell us. So I guess there is always an excuse for drawing blades.

But some alliances can be very hard to explain. In a current campaign we have forces of order and disorder. Tau and Eldar are allowed to change sides at will (to blance team numbers etc)

This threw a Tau player along side a nid player vs my wolves and another wolves player. How do you explain that??

eldargal
03-18-2010, 05:48 PM
Tau genestealer coven?

My Eldar end up allying with Imperial forces a lot, so I've made a bit of fluff about a mutual defense agreement between my Craftworld. The Imperials are naturally suspicious but have bigger things to worry about than a craftworld which is at present peaceful.

Melissia
03-18-2010, 06:00 PM
Tau genestealer coven?

Especially if they infected an Ethereal.

Lord Anubis
03-18-2010, 06:05 PM
This threw a Tau player along side a nid player vs my wolves and another wolves player. How do you explain that??

Sometimes it's not so much alliances sometimes as shared enemies. If a modern-day soldier saw a herd of elephants charging an enemy camp, would he feel the need to stop them? Or would he just take up position and add to the mayhem?

Granted, this doesn't mean the elephants won't swing around once the camp is crushed flat and go after said soldier... ;)

lobster-overlord
03-18-2010, 06:11 PM
We just played a huge apoc game and it was the first time we'd allied my BA with my buddies Orks. I figured if I took Tycho, I had to turn on him at some point just for spite. We never figured out the fluff, just played the game. It was pretty much a player on player vendetta game any way.

John M.

Faultie
03-19-2010, 07:39 AM
Kroot Mercenaries - If you've got the coin, gear, and grub, we'll bring the killing.

person person
03-19-2010, 12:56 PM
Well my friend's orks had to ally with some IG, he said that the IG bribed them with Pepsi(?).

Force21
03-19-2010, 01:17 PM
PEPSI?!?!?!

did someone say Pepsi??? :D

lets see I never had to ally with anyone too odd as I play IG...tau maybe?

one time tho at a local Apocalypse game.

the other team had someone playing Grey Knights with I forget if it was IG or marines... & someone else Chaos... I thought that was odd...

Levitas
03-20-2010, 12:46 PM
A guess a lil imagination goes a long way.

The Tau and Nid alliance I saw could go either way. The Tau capturing the remnants of a splinter fleet and using experimental methods to bring them to the greater good.

But as the Nids had the doom of Malantai I suspect it was the nids doing the controlling. With nasty boring mind control bugs. I saw my winning space wolves kicking over dead tau saying things like " These tau don't look right" or something similar. Maybe the hive mind was in a no win situation and chose to use the Tau 'drones' as a pose to assimilating them into the gene pool.

Orks with IG I can see. IG are human, so there for corruptible in dire situations. In the right circumstances the IG would trade with certain clans and looters for emergency aid, say against a Chaos threat. Of course said IG would then be cleansed...

Eldar are a great grey area ally as they are so selfishly and intelligently manipulative. Said that no one is playing eldar in our campaign : /

DarkLink
03-21-2010, 10:40 PM
If you want a challenge, here's this: Justify Grey Knights allying with Daemons.

On a related note, by pure happenstance my Grey Knights always seemed to get allied with one other player's Daemons in my hometown gaming group when we played team games. It became kinda a tradition, funnily enough.

eldargal
03-21-2010, 10:46 PM
I had my Eldar ally with a girlfriends 'nids on the premise thatthe Eldar needed an Imperial world destroyed to reclaim Eldar technology in sealed caverns far under the surface. The Eldar helped the nids overcome the planetary defenses, then stood back while the nids ate everything and possibly provided the mustard. Then the Imperials declared Exterminatus and scurried off back home. Eldar swooped in and removed the technology* at their leisure.

*Forty crates of fully fashioned silk stockings for my farseer, amongst other things.

Grey Knights with Daemons, a group of GK posing as corrupted GK to get close to a particularly paranoid Daemon Prince? A bit of a stretch I know.

The AKH
03-25-2010, 05:44 PM
To conclude a campaign my buddies and I ran last year, we held an Apocalypse game - one side was a fairly standard Space Marines/Dark Angels/Imperial Guard alliance, but the other side was Tau/Guard/Orks/Tyranids.

My in-universe explanation? The Tau, along with their human auxiliaries, had enlisted the services of a mercenary Ork warlord and his massive horde of mutated Squigs.

Necrosis
03-26-2010, 02:19 AM
For Chaos Space Marine and Grey Knights working with each other, you can say the Chaos Space Marines are Space Marines from the Excorist chapter. As for Daemons, I got no idea on how to explain that.

eldargal
03-26-2010, 07:17 AM
A few good daemons who sometimes enter the mortal realms to balance the scale between good and evil. Daemons who care.

For Chaos Space Marine and Grey Knights working with each other, you can say the Chaos Space Marines are Space Marines from the Excorist chapter. As for Daemons, I got no idea on how to explain that.

Subject Keyword
03-26-2010, 06:30 PM
I end up fighting alongside 'Nids with my Necrons a fair bit.
I always thought that the Tyranids weren't interested in the Necrons because they have no bio-mass, the Necrons weren't interested in the Tyranids as test sujects because they are mindless to begin with, and whatever was on the other side of the battlefield had to requisite amount of carbon and souls to spark a short alliance.
Fighting alongside Space Wolves is a bit more difficult...