PDA

View Full Version : Tyranid "gemini" force

gcsmith
03-20-2010, 01:30 PM
Hey guys, just posting a revised list which im calling "gemini" setup. Based on the duplicates. Anyway here it is. hope u enjoy.

Tyranid Prime with lashwhip bonesword and sytals and toxin sac (105)

4x warriors with lash whips, bones and toxins (200)

20 hormies with toxin sacs and adrenals (200)

20 hormies with toxin sacs and adrenals (200)

2x zoans (120)
2x zoans (120)

doom of malantai in pod (130)

2 trygons with adrenal. (420)
total 1495

And so far variances of this list with shop models have been quite good, Hopefully it will provide. Any Comments and Critism accepted.

Tynskel
03-20-2010, 04:37 PM
I like it!

gcsmith
03-21-2010, 01:40 AM
heres a quick rundown on what happens, Generally turn one and 2 is spent by the opponent hosing the Trygons, Leaving warriors and gaunts and zoans safe to advance (through cover of course) then do stuff cool. Yesturday against BA 1 gaunt squad killed a termie squad then with 10 men wipe out a 5 man biker squad :p how i love poison.

gcsmith
03-21-2010, 07:13 AM
any more comments or criticisms?

Tynskel
03-21-2010, 11:58 AM
The only thing I can think of is to switch one Trygon to a Mawloc. You should have 40 points plus the 5 extra ya didn't spend. That should give you a Biovore- then you have a little bit spore rain! (it also causes pinning, nothing to be ignored!)

Plus this gives you a little more flexibility in the beginning- Trygon always deep striking, and the Mawloc starting on the board, maybe burrowing.

gcsmith
03-22-2010, 02:42 AM
What job would a mawlock do that a trygon could not do better, I know the s6 ap 2 blast but with opponent saying you can not DS on units sometimes, and the lesser ws and no of attacks, it generally doesnt seem useful in my eyes :P then again I could easily be wrong.

Tynskel
03-22-2010, 12:23 PM
What job would a mawlock do that a trygon could not do better, I know the s6 ap 2 blast but with opponent saying you can not DS on units sometimes, and the lesser ws and no of attacks, it generally doesnt seem useful in my eyes :P then again I could easily be wrong.

The Trygon and Mawloc have two different roles.

The Trygon is a Brawler, and the other is Disruption. I think this has been discussed quite through n' through on other forums.

The Trygon fails at the role of Disruption: Cannot deep strike into units, nor can it escape combat, or even re-deep strike.

The Mawloc fails at Brawlin'- which you have already pointed out.

You asked for suggestions: My suggestion was to add some flexibility to your force. A Mawloc + Biovore would add tactical flexibility. You do not have a disruption unit in your list. Nor do you have long range bombardment. If you squeeze the points, you could probably fit in 2 Biovores.

In a 1500 point match, if your opponent is all mechanized, your list will pop them open quite nicely with 4 Lances and Doom. However, if you face a Horde List- even though your list has 40 gaunts, you will have problems. Thinning their numbers will be invaluable to you, and both the Mawloc and Biovores will fulfill that niche that your current list does not do.

I am not saying I dislike your list: I obviously like it- I said so earlier. But, you asked me to suggest changes, and this is what I have come up with.

If I came at you with the same composition- except with the changes that I made with the Mawloc and Biovore, your army would be torn to shreds.

gcsmith
03-22-2010, 12:34 PM
hmm maybe :p i wasnt saying your suggestions were wrong in anyway dnt get me wrong i appreciate them :p I just didnt see that a unit like that was needed, but maybe it is

Tynskel
03-22-2010, 01:06 PM
hmm maybe :p i wasnt saying your suggestions were wrong in anyway dnt get me wrong i appreciate them :p I just didnt see that a unit like that was needed, but maybe it is

It is just a suggestion.

Really, it comes down: Do you fight a lot of Mechinized or Horde?

If it is Mechanized, I would stick with whatchya got.
If it is Horde, I would consider play testing the idea I suggested.

However, you'll find that the second option really doesn't loose much on the anti-tank end. The Mawloc is not as good at the Tank-busting, but it is still effective.

gcsmith
03-22-2010, 01:55 PM
i could drop the mawlock and have a horde of biovores, :P

Tynskel
03-22-2010, 11:14 PM
yeah, but you would still want two big deep striking beasties!

foostoofoo
03-23-2010, 11:52 AM
You really shouldnt assume that your opponent will target your trygons with everything they have. Personally I would target your zoans first as they will take a while to get to me with no pod.

Prime and warriors, are way to easy to take down, so a clever enemy will happily divert some fire to taking them out before they reach them. All it would take is a single ordanance shot or two to rip them all to shreads.

I think by turn two long ranged fire would have already taken a tole on your force, by the time your trygons arrive they shouldnt provide too much of a problem with the rest of the army thinned down.

I think that if the trygons were almost guaranteed to turn up on turn 2 then this army could really be a ***** to take down. But as their is no hive commander your trygons stand a good chance of not turning up until turn 3 possibly 4 if your very unlucky. In which case 3 turns of shooting against that force would most likely have seen the death of your zoans and warriors. Leaving your gaunts for easy pickings.

Of course as you can see I've wrote this as if im talking about you facing a shooty army like guard, tau or marines.

If you like I'd could post a list which would show you what I think you would highly struggle against.

Enjoy the gaming

Stoo out :)

gcsmith
03-23-2010, 12:05 PM
go ahead and post a list pls, and oh just cuse one acts like i DS trygons, dsnt mean I do, I know enough about target prio

foostoofoo
03-23-2010, 12:15 PM
Lol ok mate only posting my views, dont have to take offense by any of it. Sorry for assuming you deepstriked I promise never to assume that again lol

gcsmith
03-23-2010, 12:21 PM
lol sorry, didint mean to pass on offnse :p u can assume all you want :p and i appreciate your views :) Just I think of target prio as harder with them on the board making my army better

The other guy
03-24-2010, 03:35 AM
I will just chip in that i love the hormagaunt set up. I use one squad of 20 with everything, and my tyrant lets them outflank. I slaughtered 2 tactical squads (one with a captain!) in my last game.