PDA

View Full Version : What does Grav pop?

son_of_volmer
10-23-2015, 12:12 AM
Thinking about fielding some Grav in my army, (captain with combi-grav, 3 vets in command squad with grav guns) but when I square up against an opponent I have no idea what to focus my squad of Grav Guns on.

Termies?
Deathstars?
Imperial Knight?

Mr Mystery
10-23-2015, 12:19 AM
Depends on the Deathstar.

Anything with a 5+ save or worse, there's better dakka for that, and even against 4+ save it can be difficult to say Grav does it best.

Terminators? Absolutely prime candidates for Grav's embrace.

Knights? Well, in a pinch I guess - but I've never been particularly convinced of Grav against AV stuff.

Charon
10-23-2015, 12:55 AM
Thinking about fielding some Grav in my army, (captain with combi-grav, 3 vets in command squad with grav guns) but when I square up against an opponent I have no idea what to focus my squad of Grav Guns on.

Termies?
Deathstars?
Imperial Knight?

Quite everything. While it is not the best weapon of choice against units with bad saves, Deathstars usually consist of +3 or 2+ saves anyways with an invul additionaly.
Vehicles in general suffer from grav fire. While it is true that they only do damage on a 6, you got to reroll it most of the time anyways and need less hits as stacking immobilized results award extra damage.

Knight, with shield:

You need around 36 Lascannon shots to kill it (minor chance of a lucky hit to cause more damage). That is 9 Devastor squads (that is 720 points worth of LasCannons)
On the other hand you will need 60 grav shots (12 heavy grav -> 300 points ) for the same knight. Also you will need significantly less for other vehicles. The better the AV the better grav gets (18 laser shots vs a LR, only 15 grav shots for the same target) with the additional benefit of doing extremely well against troops too - unlike the LasCannon.

Charistoph
10-23-2015, 10:22 AM
Yeah, Grav Weapons may as well be Gauss Flayers when it comes to Super-Heavies. They only damage on a 6, and cannot Immobilize them.

Charon
10-23-2015, 10:26 AM
But they get to reroll which makes them a lot better.

Charistoph
10-23-2015, 10:43 AM
But they get to reroll which makes them a lot better.

Not all Grav does, but the heavier ones do, true, but not natively. The Gauss Cannons on a Destroyer can reroll, too, though, especially when in a Cult.

Mr.Gold
10-23-2015, 01:55 PM
best things with cheap Grav: 3x Kataphron Destroyers with Heavy Grav Cannons - 165pts for 3x models with 6 Grav shots each (18 total) per turn at 30" range (36" including movement). they also are quite durable with 2 wounds each and T5, statistically this wrecks vehicles and heavy infantry... grab them plus a Tech-priest Dominus and that is an allied detachment just there.

the Dominus is soo useful - 2+/4++/5+FNP and 3 wounds goes a long way to tanking the firepower aimed at the destroyers. (he comes stock with Power axe, Vulkite Blaster - 3 shot S6 AP5 gun that does more shots the more wounds it causes, and a 5 shot bolt pistol, he can also repair any Imperium vehicle on a 2+ - to regain 1x hull point or WOUNDS on Cult Mechanicus Faction. the 4++ is a 5pt upgarade from a 5++ save which is standard) and the best relic to give him with the squad is 30pts - Scryerskull Perspicatus - mark a vehicle anywhere on the battlefield - all Cult Mechanicus (Including those lovely Kataphron Destroyers) reroll failed armour penetrations against that vehicle for the turn (it can do this to a different vehicle every turn). - this Dominus (with 4++ and Scryerskull) is tyours for the low cost of 135 pts! so total between Destroyers and Dominus - 300pts exactly.

son_of_volmer
10-23-2015, 06:19 PM
Thanks Everybody.

I play Blood Angels, so Grav cannon isn't really an option. I'm interested in deep striking 3 grav-guns and a combi-grav in a pod(command squad w captain).

Is grav particularly useful against Wraitknights?

slobulous
10-23-2015, 06:21 PM
all Cult Mechanicus (Including those lovely Kataphron Destroyers) reroll failed armour penetrations against that vehicle for the turn

From the Warhammer 40k Rulebook 7th Ed, Special Rules section

Graviton - 3rd sentence

"When resolving a hit against a vehicle, roll a D6 for each hit instead of rolling for armour penetration"

The Scryerskull Perspicatus has no effect with the Kataphron Destroyers' heavy grav cannons

Charistoph
10-23-2015, 11:48 PM
Thanks Everybody.

I play Blood Angels, so Grav cannon isn't really an option. I'm interested in deep striking 3 grav-guns and a combi-grav in a pod(command squad w captain).

Is grav particularly useful against Wraitknights?

I forget, do they have an Invul Save?

Aside from that, it is one of the best weapons to take against anything with a 2+ or 3+ Armour Save. It ignores their Armour completely and Wounds based on that Save Value. They can be T10, and you can still Wound them on a 2+ or a 3+. Impressive against a Gargantuan Creature which cannot be Poisoned easily.

The only concern is the Range and Rate of Fire of the weapon. Space Marine Grav Weapons are Salvo, so if you're not Relentless or Slow and Purposeful but moved (including arrived from Deep Strike or Disembarked), that Gravgun will have a lower range than the Pistol, and only twice the shots. If you are on a bike, in a SNP unit, or haven't moved, than the range is a bit better (not as good as Boltgun, but better than the Pistol), but the number of Shots matches the Heavy Bolter, which makes it a lot easier to remove those Wounds.