PDA

View Full Version : My 1500pt Vulkan lists

The Mystic
03-28-2010, 05:21 AM
Hi all!

Just looking for some feedback on the following two lists please.

LIST 1

Vulkan He'stan - 190

Sternguard (9): 2 Combi-melta, 2 Heavy flamers, Lightning claw, melta bombs, Rhino - 310

Tactical squad (10): Multi-melta, Flamer, Powerfist, Rhino - 230

Scout squad (5): 5 Sniper rifles, 5 Camo cloaks - 90

Attack bike squadron (2): 2 Multi-melta - 100

Vindicator: Siege shield - 125

TOTAL - 1500

LIST 2

Vulkan He'stan - 190

Assualt Terminators (10): 10 Thunder hammer and Storm shield - 400

TOTAL - 1500

Thanks guys!

CaptainSinon
03-28-2010, 09:55 AM
both lists are fairly solid but maybe you should consider taking a dreadnought with multimelta/H.flamer combo, or maybe an ironclad in a drop pod for some extra punch

therealjohnny5
03-28-2010, 10:35 AM
both lists do look good, in a 1500 pt game i would personally hesitate dropping 400 (almost a third of your points) on a termie assault squad with no transport....even though you could combat squad them, you still have that issue of walking them into assault or DS and having them possibly come in mid to late game. Not good. I'd go list 1 and add the 8 man Termies in for a 2K list with a raider.

ashnaile
03-28-2010, 10:39 AM
Yea, teleporting or walking termys is never the answer.

But you should really try to fit 2 seperate choice MM/hvy flamer land speeders in there, 70 pts for a twin linked deepstriking multimelta, yes please!

also if you take sternguard give em a drop pod and all combis, 80% of which should be melta imho, 335 for 10 with 10 combis in a pod.

Also i think tl assault cannon razorbacks with min sized tac squads with combi melta sarge at 175 pts a piece are better than rhinos

And of course the mm heavy flamer ironclad in a pod is great, tho i prefer sternguard going in on turn 1 drop pod assault if i take both, 8-10 meltaguns >1 lol.

Denzark
03-28-2010, 11:41 AM
I think its a shame you describe it as a Vulkan list and not as Salamanders, just goes to show whats important...

The Mystic
03-29-2010, 02:57 AM
Well I dont collect Salamanders.:rolleyes:

After doing the entire 3rd company for Dark Angels and an Ork army I just could'nt paint green again. ;)

Anyway. In regards to the walking terminators, when I've played them they usually play the middle field and are used as a counter assault unit.

joescalise
03-29-2010, 08:39 AM
The best part about Sternguard is there special ammo, give them the combi weapons and drop the heavy flamer and claw.

I like to walk my Terminators in a 1500 point army, the landraider cost to much for such a small army.

The Mystic
03-29-2010, 08:49 AM
The lightning claw was there just for some extra killyness if I was in an assault.

I could drop the lightning claw for some more combi- meltas but why drop the heavy flamers when they get rerolls to wound and no roll to hit?

Tynskel
03-29-2010, 12:22 PM
I like the second list.

I would change the Terminators to just 5 men. Change one Sgt in the Rhino Tactical Squad to a Power Weapon and Meltabombs

Add:

205 Ironclad
Hv Flamer, Ironclad Assault Launchers
Dedicated Transport: Drop Pod, Locator Beacon

Tynskel
03-29-2010, 01:01 PM
Yea, teleporting or walking termys is never the answer.

But you should really try to fit 2 seperate choice MM/hvy flamer land speeders in there, 70 pts for a twin linked deepstriking multimelta, yes please!

also if you take sternguard give em a drop pod and all combis, 80% of which should be melta imho, 335 for 10 with 10 combis in a pod.

Also i think tl assault cannon razorbacks with min sized tac squads with combi melta sarge at 175 pts a piece are better than rhinos

And of course the mm heavy flamer ironclad in a pod is great, tho i prefer sternguard going in on turn 1 drop pod assault if i take both, 8-10 meltaguns >1 lol.

This, I swear, is the dumbest tactic ever. The first list has the sternguard in a transport. They get to fight on their terms all the time.

When you put them in a Drop pod, AND spend an extra 5 points per guy, you are asking for them to be destroyed the turn they come in with NO support.

If you drop pod sternguard, you better be taking at least 3 drop pods, so that the Sternguard are not out there by themselves, dying to plasma, meltas, bolters ect.

codiddy
03-29-2010, 01:39 PM
but why drop the heavy flamers when they get rerolls to wound and no roll to hit?
The reasoning behind this would be the special issue ammunition that sternguard get. No bolter = No fancy ammo. As long as you don't mind losing the special ammo, throw the heavy flamers in. Vulkan does make them incredibly nasty.

Edit: I like the first list, even though it doesn't have a dreadnought. (that's just me though, I loves me some Ironclad)

The Mystic
03-29-2010, 04:53 PM
I like the second list.

I would change the Terminators to just 5 men. Change one Sgt in the Rhino Tactical Squad to a Power Weapon and Meltabombs

Add:

205 Ironclad
Hv Flamer, Ironclad Assault Launchers
Dedicated Transport: Drop Pod, Locator Beacon

What would you say to a standard Dread with MM and HF in a Drop Pod with locator beacon and 6 Terminators?

That way I can also keep the Power fist in the tactical and I already have the models for that! :D

Tynskel
03-29-2010, 06:54 PM
That works.

However, The Ironclad can charge through terrain, and still go at Initiative 4, and will have +1 on damage table with its close combat weapon. Also, it has one more attack, comes with extra armor, and it is 13/13/10. Sometimes just being Armor 13 makes a world of a difference.

On choosing between 1 PF and 1 more thunder hammer terminator, or an Ironclad and a power weapon: I would play test the two lists.

Personally, I am a fan of Dreadnoughts in Close Combat. So, having the extra CC arm, in case one is destroyed, is always a plus to me!

codiddy
03-29-2010, 08:04 PM
That works.

However, The Ironclad can charge through terrain, and still go at Initiative 4, and will have +1 on damage table with its close combat weapon. Also, it has one more attack, comes with extra armor, and it is 13/13/10. Sometimes just being Armor 13 makes a world of a difference.

On choosing between 1 PF and 1 more thunder hammer terminator, or an Ironclad and a power weapon: I would play test the two lists.

Personally, I am a fan of Dreadnoughts in Close Combat. So, having the extra CC arm, in case one is destroyed, is always a plus to me!
Plus the ironclad can also run the melta and heavy flamer he wants.

Tynskel
03-29-2010, 11:01 PM
Yeah, another reason to go Ironclad.

If you are going to run Multi-Melta, Hv Flamer, and a Drop Pod, you might as well go Ironclad.

1) Drop Pod allows the luxury of landing wherever you want, and as close to the enemy as possible!

2) The Flamer is a VERY short range weapon. If you need to be close to fire the weapon, you are probably already in the Meltagun double Pen roll range (very rare occurrence to not have the 2d6 Pen on melta and still be within Flamer range).

3) If you are going to be so close to the opponent already, you might as well get into close combat- at that point, you want as many attacks as possible.

4) and, Gosh darn it, Armor 13 is important when dealing with close range- Powerfists will only hurt you on 5+. Meltas are dangerous, any boost to armor is awesome! Armor 12 is dead meat against a Melta, but armor 13 starts having a chance (sort of).

ashnaile
03-30-2010, 07:54 AM
This, I swear, is the dumbest tactic ever. The first list has the sternguard in a transport. They get to fight on their terms all the time.

When you put them in a Drop pod, AND spend an extra 5 points per guy, you are asking for them to be destroyed the turn they come in with NO support.

If you drop pod sternguard, you better be taking at least 3 drop pods, so that the Sternguard are not out there by themselves, dying to plasma, meltas, bolters ect.

Well, i suppose if you were completely incompetent what you said would happen yes ...

Sternguard dont need support, and if the enemy is concentrating their fire on them thats great ... theyre gonna be hammered by everything else, and seriously, if youre not dropping the sternguard into cover you need to stop playing 40k because your tactical acumen is seriously lacking ... plasma, rofl what is this 3rd/4th ed?

codiddy
03-30-2010, 10:27 AM
Well, i suppose if you were completely incompetent what you said would happen yes ...

Sternguard dont need support, and if the enemy is concentrating their fire on them thats great ... theyre gonna be hammered by everything else, and seriously, if youre not dropping the sternguard into cover you need to stop playing 40k because your tactical acumen is seriously lacking ... plasma, rofl what is this 3rd/4th ed?
Plasma eats terminators/MC and makes things Feel Pain. I've got plenty of plasma in my army. whats so ROFL about plasma?

Tynskel
03-30-2010, 12:49 PM

Hah!

In a 1500 point game, a 10 man Sternguard with Drop Pod is 1/3 your points...

sure... they come in on turn 1... and since the rest of your army is FAR AWAY, I can attack them unhindered. Who cares if you are in cover- plasma is still wounding you on a 2+. So, I spend turn one (or turn 2, depending on who went first) squishing 1/3 of your army. I think that's a great trade off... especially since you killed, oh, maybe two tanks?

Sternguard do not have invul saves- power weapons slice 'em to bits.

What they are good at is shooting. However, a heavy shooting squad needs an army backing them up. The easiest way to do that is to put them in a transport, and roll with the army, or, if you drop pod them, to have them come with multiple drop pod units.

If you are going to SUICIDE your sternguard, use a unit that will do the job for cheap:
Command Squads with Meltas drop pod
Ironclad in a drop pod.

I prefer the Ironclad method: Armor 13 is still hard to punch. You get a meltagun and a hv flamer. You kick butt at close combat. Oh, yeah... you are about 150 points cheaper. That'll almost get you a Thunder Hammer Terminator squad to teleport to the Locator beacon on the Drop Pod. Now, there are two hard as nails (which aren't very hard...) squads that will smashy smashy things.

Tynskel
03-30-2010, 12:58 PM
Plasma eats terminators/MC and makes things Feel Pain. I've got plenty of plasma in my army. whats so ROFL about plasma?

Yeah, I am not sure what he's talking about.

Meltas are for Tanks

Flamers are for Mobs

Plasmas are for Everything.