PDA

View Full Version : Interesting new reverlations in " A Thousand Sons" **SPOILER ALERT**

imperialsavant
03-28-2010, 05:36 AM
I have just finished reading "A Thousand Sons" & found 3 facinating bits of info tucked in the Text.

1) Magnus had become corrupted by Chaos way back when he did a "Devils Deal" to halt the genetic degradation of Flesh Change to the Chapter. He may have been the first Primach to be won over by the Gods of Chaos.

2) Logar & Erebus had turned to Chaos prior to Erebus corrupting Horus & he had actually engineered Horus's wounding by the Daemon Blade to facilitate turning Horus. However we do not know yet if this was after Magnus but it seem likely.

3) Why the Emperor returned to Terra after Ullanor.
Believing Horus could continue to lead the Great Crusade he returned to continue a work in progress for over 100 years to complete a gateway on Terra to access the Eldar Webway but when Magnus visited Terra via the Warp he unwittingly destroyed all the Emperor had built to that time & it appears the project was virtually complete but Magnus wrecked it all. No wonder he unleased the Wolves on Prospero.

Dont know if anyone else found any more tit bits but I found those 3 gems most enlightening!

Gotthammer
03-28-2010, 05:41 AM
1 - Well he wasn't really corrupted, but tricked. He didn't realise how powerful Tzeentch really was and, despite the Emperor's warnings, thought he could control anything in the warp.

2 - Well that's not exactly new, it's in a lot of the other books that the Word Bearers had fallen first.

3 - That's been around for a while too, but nice to have some more details on it.

What I found interesting was the implication that the Emperor knew of all the goings on between Magnus and Tzeentch, but still didn't stop them.

pgarfunkle
03-28-2010, 06:09 AM
I found the information about the Librarian departments in the Legions interesting, specifically that they originated with certain legions (Thousand Sons, White Scars and Blood Angels) as a sort of experiment before the other Legions began to adopt them

The_Ancient
03-31-2010, 12:05 PM
I think The most interesting point in this book is that there is a webway gate beneath the golden throne. it explains why ahriman wants to find the black library, possibly for a map of the webway which would allow him to pop in to see his former boss on terra and cause all sorts of trouble

Stubber
03-31-2010, 01:11 PM
Nothing really new here. though I had always thought the council of Nikia was held before the triumph of Ullanor.
Anyone who's read the collected visions artbooks will know about the Imperial imperial built webway portal which the emperor was using to try to tap into the eldar one.
It also well known the the word bearers were the first legion to fall to chaos. The irony of it is that they turned because they were chastised so much for worshiping the emperor and now the whole Imperium does it.

Fantomex
04-02-2010, 02:33 PM
My personal favourite part is the tragic irony that the Emperor was finishing off the golden throne so that once loyal Horus had united all of humanity and wrecked all the aliens, Magnus would be the favoured son due (likely) to boosting the astronomicons power to mend and map the webway, and seal mankinds warp-predation free destiny..
And to think, his eternal glory scuppered by doing the right thing..

Spetzna909
04-16-2010, 08:15 AM
I found that there are a lot of interesting things in "A Thousand Sons". Some, I wonder, if we will ever get answers to.

Any Idea what Mortarion and Magnus are speaking of here? Last half of page 264.

"
'Brother,' said Magnus, ignoring Mortarion's words. "A great day is it not? Nine sons of the Emperor gathered together in one world, such a thing has not happened since...'

'I know well when it was, Magnus' said Mortarion, his voice robust and resolute in contrast to his pallid features. 'And the Emperor forbade us to speak of it again. Do you disobey that command?"

'I disobey nothing, brother,' said Magnus, keeping his tone light, 'but even you must recognize the symbolism of our number. Three times three, the pesedjet of ancient gods, the Occidental orders of angels and the nine cosmic spheres of the forgotten ages.'
"

Any idea what this is all about? What day is he referring to I wonder.

I know the numbers 3 and 9 seem to be mentioned over and over during "A T Sons" and there are 9 Fellowships (Companies).

-Also, I thought the bellow quote might be a hint to one of the missing Primarchs and shared it in another thread, but someone pointed out that Mortarion was most likely referring to his evil adopted father on Barbarus.

"A Thousand Sons" page 265 (Conversation between Magnus and Mortarion on Ullanor before the great parade)

"
Mortarion laughed, the sound like mountains collapsing.
'I knew a being like you once before,' he said, 'so sure in his powers, so convinced of his superiority that he could not see his doom until it was upon him. Like you, he wielded dark powers. Our father made him pay with his life for such evil. Have a care you do not suffer the same fate.'
"

Fatty Revolution
04-16-2010, 03:28 PM
9 is the sacred number of Tzeentch that is probably why it appears frequently in the book

pgarfunkle
04-17-2010, 04:09 AM
At this point in the book I think they're at Ullanor when the Emperor is announcing his return to Terra and naming Horus as Warmaster. The previous gathering is the council of Nikea when sorcery was forbidden and the Legions were ordered to disband their Librarius Departments.

Just had a quick look through the book, the page reference was a lot of help thanks :), the conversation about the number is to do with Magnus' character. Throughout the book he is constantly finding patterns and hidden meanings and symbols in things, demonstrating an underlying pattern and possible influence (chaos) in the universe. Further as pointed out by Fatty Revolution 9 is the sacred number of Tzeentch and so is likely meant to be a subtle nod at the change about to be made.

FaultyVoodoo
04-17-2010, 02:40 PM
Impossible, since the book chronologically places Nikaea after Ullanor. I believe it is a reference to the lost Primarchs.