PDA

View Full Version : The Decree of Allies

Dragon Knight Of Rhun
08-06-2009, 12:12 AM
Whats your guys opinion on The Decree of Allies?

Should there be less Allied units in an army allowed than 25%?

Is 25% just right?

Or lastly

Should there be more Allied units allowed? 50%? more?

Ithmaril
08-06-2009, 08:43 AM
Just right in my book. Considering some fluff issues, more precise rulings may seem neccessary (Especially concerning the forgotten kingdoms allies list- hobbit regiments in elf armies as cannon fodder? Ents allied with dwarves?), but thinking about it I quickly realized that you can't do that without making things enormously complicated, or forbidding some very fluffy alliances on the other hand.

iamaddj
08-06-2009, 09:43 PM
I think there should be more restrictions on allied Heroes, I really like allies as a way of getting different basic troops in different armies, building the Last Alliance etc. I however fear that allied heroes have the potential to get out of hand with all the crazy combination you can pull off. More importantly I really wise I was seeing the Decree of allies being used to bring in troops rather then just used to get the best heroes in every list. Just my 2 cents.

Dragon Knight Of Rhun
08-07-2009, 01:11 AM
I think there should be more restrictions on allied Heroes, I really like allies as a way of getting different basic troops in different armies, building the Last Alliance etc. I however fear that allied heroes have the potential to get out of hand with all the crazy combination you can pull off. More importantly I really wise I was seeing the Decree of allies being used to bring in troops rather then just used to get the best heroes in every list. Just my 2 cents.

Yea I personally would like 50% Allies allowed but ONLY if no allied heroes are included. Because I love the Fallen Realms and Isengard range and would love to have a mixed army of both.

Yea Allied Heroes can get out of hand, but its a necessary evil. Because without that evil we will be outruling very fluffy alliances.

Ithmaril
08-08-2009, 05:34 PM
Yea Allied Heroes can get out of hand, but its a necessary evil. Because without that evil we will be outruling very fluffy alliances.

Basically what I said. ;)

I'll stick with it- NOT doable with a ruling simple enough to be included into a game like WotR. Let's take the Last Alliance as an example- Gil-galad, Elendil, Elrond, Círdan and Isildur, all on one side. Try using that as a benchmark for rules concering allied heroes, it would lead to a fluff mess in other armies and situations, not even considering tropps.

What we'd need would be a kind of "Legions of Middle-Earth" for WotR, making distinctive lists for armies like the grey company, ent forces attacking isengard, the last alliance, the defenders of erebor (Esgaroth + dwarven forces of the lonely mountain), and so on... and somehow balance them all.

But I guess that won't happen, so it's up to our and our group's play styles to use, bend, or ignore the 25% rule to recreate those great moments in Middle-Earth history, instead of building armies that totally violate the fluff.

Or do just that. For fun. ;)

Dragon Knight Of Rhun
08-08-2009, 06:18 PM
But I guess that won't happen, so it's up to our and our group's play styles to use, bend, or ignore the 25% rule to recreate those great moments in Middle-Earth history, instead of building armies that totally violate the fluff.

Im actually considering bringing that before my group. Having it to you can go beyond the 25% mark just as long as you don't take more than so and so heroes or something like that. Something that will get rid of people having all (or some) of the best heroes in the game.

iamaddj
08-09-2009, 12:31 PM
Basically what I said. ;)

I'll stick with it- NOT doable with a ruling simple enough to be included into a game like WotR. Let's take the Last Alliance as an example- Gil-galad, Elendil, Elrond, Círdan and Isildur, all on one side. Try using that as a benchmark for rules concering allied heroes, it would lead to a fluff mess in other armies and situations, not even considering tropps.

What we'd need would be a kind of "Legions of Middle-Earth" for WotR, making distinctive lists for armies like the grey company, ent forces attacking isengard, the last alliance, the defenders of erebor (Esgaroth + dwarven forces of the lonely mountain), and so on... and somehow balance them all.

Or do just that. For fun. ;)

No I totally agree that there's no real way to address the situation, I never even claimed there was, just stated how I feel about the whole issue.

Ithmaril
08-10-2009, 02:21 AM
No I totally agree that there's no real way to address the situation, I never even claimed there was, just stated how I feel about the whole issue.

Fair enough, just wanted to expand on my point of view- although we seem to mostly agree. :) Sorry if it sounded overly enthusiastic.