PDA

View Full Version : BRB's BT list

Beta_Ray_Bill
03-31-2010, 05:43 PM
Here's my 'Templars list, thanks to a little constructive criticism from my last thread, I've put this one together just today. Mind you, the opponents in my group have VERY few tanks compared lists I've seen here, I believe that each army only has one tank a piece, which is why I have such low melta numbers. We're all just getting back in the game after a 6 year recess. Please let me know what you guys think! Thanks!

-Hq-
Emp. Champ. - 90
AAC-50

Reclusiach -95
Terminator Honors - 15
Combi-flamer - 10

-Elites-
8 Swords Bretheren Terminators
Furious charge - 344

(Transport) Land Raider Crusader, Smoke launchers - 268

-Troops-
Crusader Squad
9 Initiates, Flamer, Rhino - 200

Crusader Squad
9 Initiates, Flamer, Rhino - 200

-Fast Attack-
Bike squadron
4 Bikes; 2 power weapons, melta,
Atk bike with MM - 223

1495/1500

eagleboy7259
03-31-2010, 08:30 PM
Well if you're running an EC with ACC there's very little reason to ever run a Chaplain, the abilities don't stack, you'd be better off buying a Marshall or investing the points elsewhere. Crusaders should ideally be run with Melta/Power Fist, when you are going to put that much points into a squad its worth protecting them from the nastiness that runs around the 40k world.

It might be worthwhile to tone back the number of Sword Brethern Terminators that you have, that's a little over 1/3 of you're army in one unit. While it is one butt kicking unit, you can still cut a bit out of it and keep it at its potency. The problem is theres so much in that one squad and not enough of anything anywhere else, and realistically that squad could be easy to take out. Imagine charging a tank or a squad only to be assaulted in kind by a High I mass power weapon assault that runs you down to 3 terminators before you even get the chance to hit back. I have seen 5x Assault Terminators with EC and Marshall in a Land Raider Crusader, but squads that big deserved to be in 1850 and up.

Nabterayl
03-31-2010, 09:32 PM
Question for you: you say that your group runs low in the vehicle department, which I think it's absolutely fine to take into account when building a list, but does it run low in the T4-things-you-might-want-to-instant-death department or the monstrous creature department? Those are both good uses for meltaguns and power fists that have nothing to do with killing vehicles. Just something to consider. If the answer is still no, then I agree that the flamer is the way to go for your special weapon. Either way, I have to agree with eagleboy about a power fist (or at least a power weapon!) for your crusader squads. You are, after all, the choppiest marines in the game. If anybody can make use of a single power fist or power sword, it's you.

I also second the thought about the Reclusiarch. Consider: because you have Accept Any Challenge, all he's doing is acting as an extra-good-but-independently-targetable addition to a crusader squad. That's ... not bad, but is it really worth 120 points? I am skeptical. I wonder if there isn't something else you could do with those points. A marshall, for the Leadership boost, certainly comes to mind. A Land Speeder or two also comes to mind - something fast that can add more weight to the bikes to turn the list into a real one-two punch as opposed to a half-one punch or a one-and-tactical-reserve.

Beta_Ray_Bill
04-01-2010, 09:23 AM
I DEFINATELY agree with you guys, but as Nab may remember from my last tread, this will be an army bought from a friend of mine who hasn't touched it in the better part of a decade...

The main armies I'll be fighting until I get my chops up enough to go to a GW event are Foot slogger IG with 1 Leman Russ, foot slogger Eldar with 1 fire prism, and a 'stealer Nid army with a hive tyrant, if I remember them correctly.

Toning down the termies does sound fair, I'd love to put together a tech marine on a bike to make a decent tank killer unit. When I get off of work I'll tweak this baby and I'd love any further suggestions!

gcsmith
04-01-2010, 09:35 AM
hmm well in return for the comment in mine :p nothing in that list apart from the LR really seems bad, a LR is good but such a fire magnet that 250 gone 1st turn. But for transport its good, the bikes are good but maybe put something with HOA in there its the only blast which still rolls to hit in my knowlege, anyway out to GW soon so will comment more later maybe :p

Beta_Ray_Bill
04-01-2010, 02:17 PM
The main reason for the Mechanized force also would be to force the opponent to prioritize, Assault termies are quite obviously in the LRC, but with 2 rhinos with identical squads aside from which of my hq units are inside, it forces the oppenent to make a choice. Which, with a little luck, can buy enough time for one of them to make it to cc. It's not quite target saturation, but it's the closest I've figured out in the 4 or 5 days I've owned the codex.

As for Nabterayl's idea, I certainly have thought about mixing in meltas and PFs. Considering the local playstyle though kind of dictates this kind of set up. Now when I am able to check out what other kinds of armies there are out there, I'll definately modify it(The best I can anyways). The army for the most part is already assembled and painted... so my options are sort of limited, particularly now with limited cash flow...

I'll look over these suggestions and modify this baby as soon as I can... Thanks fellas!

Beta_Ray_Bill
04-03-2010, 01:42 PM
I FINALLY have the models in my grasp! And on some of the numbers I was way off... I now need some advice...
What can I do with these guys? I'm thinking of having the assault marines in reserves, if I can get my hands on a few more of them. Fewer assault termies than I originally thought, but in the others I have two old school flamers, and an assault cannon, which is kinda nice. Back open to the floor. I've got a lot of work to do...

eagleboy7259
04-03-2010, 02:34 PM
Well it looks like you have quite a bit of work set out in front of you. I would pluck as many bolt guns off those marines and swap them out with bolt pistols and combat weapons as possible. As for that assault marines I would just rip those packs off and let them run around as regular crusaders. Its seems like its been forever and a day since someone brought out assault marines... Theres just nothing they can do that regular crusaders and assault terminators can't do better. The shooty terminators should work out fine. Just buy another rhino and two predators and your list will be fine.

Oh and that OP Emperor's Champion is awesome!! It was my favorite mini from 3rd ed and everything about it just screams BT

Beta_Ray_Bill
04-03-2010, 08:18 PM
Actually, by switching backpacks, I can kill two birds with one stone. Or... five birds with one stone...
However you want to look at it.

It significantly changes my plans, and I think I'll have to break down and actually find a gw nearby and get some paint! (oh darn!) I had forgotten how much fun I had with the hobby part of the game. My old roommate is starting to ask about the game and stuff too. Looks like we may have another player! I feel like a much more youthful dork now, as opposed to a 23 year old dork. :D

eagleboy7259
04-03-2010, 09:49 PM
Nooooooooooo......!!!!!!! (said all dramatically and stuff)

Save yourself all that time, use Testers or Vallejo black paints instead. I love the GW paint range, especially lately, but many people would agree with me in saying that Chaos Black just isn't up to snuff when it comes to being the finished color of your model. I have seen some people get good effect with Testers, but I personally haven't worked with it but I would 100% recommend the Vallejo black paint, I know that's what Jawaballs uses on his Death Company, and after watching Tinweaseal and Mr. Justin blogs thats how I picked it up.

Amen on that hobby stuff tho, I had basically fallen out of touch with 40k and then I finally broke down and bought the Lord of Change, a model which I had always wished to paint when I started 40k - close to 4 months later I'm loving the Chaos Demons and finally playing regularly =D

Kuhlbert
04-03-2010, 10:32 PM
I feel like a much more youthful dork now, as opposed to a 23 year old dork. :D

Oh, you're still a youthful dork - I'm a 40 year old dork :)

Beta_Ray_Bill
04-03-2010, 11:32 PM
Another BT fan?!?!? We've got to start an awkward fan club or something. Bed time now, I may have something up after easter dinner... I hate holidays, but I love eating... Guess we have to take the good with the bad...

Beta_Ray_Bill
04-04-2010, 08:47 PM
After considering the models I now have in my possetion, this is the list I've come up with. I have a test run tomorrow, and needed something done. THIS one is 1000 however, and although I'd like to have assault termies, a few have gone missing, and I've got to make due.

As usual, any suggestions/criticism is appreciated! Rip it a new one!

-HQ-
EC, AAC 140

-Elites-
5 Terminators, Heavy flamer, 210

-Troops-
9 crusaders, ml, flamer, rhino w/smoke - 213

10 crusaders, lc, rhino w/smoke - 228

-Fast Attack-
Bike squadron
Atk bike w/HB - 208

999/1000

eagleboy7259
04-04-2010, 10:23 PM
I thought I saw an assault cannon terminator hiding in those pics? Anyway I would run the lascannon and missile launcher in 5 man crusader squads with bolters or just leave them out completely. No reason to tie down an assault oriented squad with a heavy weapon they'll never shoot.

Fellend
04-05-2010, 10:28 AM
Don't really see why you play so shooty lists if you are going Black Templar, with these kinds of list you might as well play vanilla and get more bang for your buck

Beta_Ray_Bill
04-05-2010, 11:38 AM
I'm buying these marines off of a friend who hasn't used them in years, so I'm kind of stuck with those models, as I no longer have any bits! The reason the heavies are in there is to abuse the fire points on the rhinos, as I also don't have a reliable anti tank/MC unit(s). It's starting all over again... Dropping the LC, I suppose I could try to fit in the assault cannon termie though.

I may try to see what other bits I can obtain, every cc geared marine I have is holding a chainsword and a bolter! Sure, they look cool, but the whole WYSIWYG premise flew out the window with these guys.

I've stated it before, and I've never believed it more than now, but I've got a lot of work ahead of me...

as of now...
-HQ-
EC, AAC 140

-Elites-
5 Terminators, assault cannon - 220

-Troops-
9 crusaders, ml, flamer, rhino w/smoke - 213

10 crusaders, rhino w/smoke - 213

-Fast Attack-
Bike squadron
Atk bike w/HB - 208