PDA

View Full Version : 1500 Guard list

Tarion
08-06-2009, 05:10 AM
Hey all,

Figured I'd throw this out here, as I'm curious to see what people make of it.

Company Command Squad, Flamer, Heavy Flamer, 2 Meltas, Officer of the Fleet @125
Chimera, Multi-Laser, Heavy Flamer @55

10 Veterans, 2 Meltas, Flamer
Chimera, Multi-Laser, Heavy Flamer @150

Devil Dog, Heavy Flamer @120
Devil Dog, Heavy Flamer @120

2 Hydras @150
Leman Russ Demolisher, Heavy Flamer @165
Leman Russ Demolisher, Heavy Flamer @165

The idea is to make target priority a real pain. Other than the Hydras and the LRDs, everything does pretty similar damage - Absolutely wrecks tanks, and puts enough Flame templates down to shred infantry too. The only unit in the list that's not equally capable of taking down AV14 and the majority of a squad of Boyz is the Hydras, who more than make up for that in what they do to light vehicles.

Its got a lot of Scoring units (40% of the army), and its fairly quick. If you're not stacked with a decent amount of anti-tank, it'll take you a long time just to peel the Vets out of the Chimeras.

The Officer of the Fleet is something I'm not sure of. He was my first choice, but I've been thinking about deploying everything in Reserves for games versus Drop Pod opponents. The Astropath would let me get the majority of my army at once, which would be nice.

Jwolf
08-06-2009, 07:15 AM
Astropath is more useful that Officer of the Fleet - you have the guns, so keeping the enemy off the board is exactly what you don't want to do.

This is a very nearly optimal army build, if you insist on flamers for guys with BS4. I do worry about the number of bodies, but I always worry about that, and being fully mechanized makes your effective number of bodies higher. This army should be reliable against most any opponent in almost any scenario.

Chumbalaya
08-06-2009, 07:17 AM
Looks good.

Tarion
08-06-2009, 08:04 AM
Astropath is more useful that Officer of the Fleet - you have the guns, so keeping the enemy off the board is exactly what you don't want to do.Huh, thanks. That made it a lot easier for me.
This is a very nearly optimal army build,Thanks :)
if you insist on flamers for guys with BS4.I find it hard to turn down Flamers in any situation.
I do worry about the number of bodies, but I always worry about that, and being fully mechanized makes your effective number of bodies higher.That's occurred to me as well. I've seen SM armies that comfortably outweigh this one, but I'm hoping that the sheer number of Chimeras will prove a difficult thing to overcome.
This army should be reliable against most any opponent in almost any scenario.That is some fairly high praise.

So, overall - Not much to suggest? Can't say I'm disappointed ;)

Tarion
08-08-2009, 08:16 AM
Sorry to bump... But does anyone else have anything to say? I have to say, I didn't expect to be told "Its fine" and not much else :P

EDIT:
Looks good.

FoxPhoenix135
08-09-2009, 02:52 PM
Well, a solid list needs little criticism. I don't see anything glaringly wrong with the list... you have plenty of anti-tank and anti-horde capabilities, as well as a decent balance between armor and infantry. The only thing I would change is turning the Hydras into Griffons, but that is because I play a lot of Cities of Death where LOS is often obscured. If you play against a lot of bikes, or a lot of skimmers, the hydras are gold, but I dont face those kinds of opponents very often. The hydras match your list a little better, though.

Skitter Leap
08-09-2009, 02:56 PM
I used to play guard and I was never all that good with them so keep that in mind, but it looks to me that you have no long range tank busting ability. A shooty based army could put some hurt on you before you can get into range as most of your weapons (melta/flamer) needs to be up close and personal. A Vendetta or 2 could go a long way to give you ranged power.

Tarion
08-09-2009, 05:15 PM
Well, a solid list needs little criticism. I don't see anything glaringly wrong with the list...While there's nothing blatantly wrong, a bit of discussion often leads to improvement.
The only thing I would change is turning the Hydras into Griffons, but that is because I play a lot of Cities of Death where LOS is often obscured. If you play against a lot of bikes, or a lot of skimmers, the hydras are gold, but I dont face those kinds of opponents very often. The hydras match your list a little better, though.This is exactly the sort of thing I was after. The list can be improved even if there's nothing glaringly wrong with it ;-)
Griffons - Interesting. I hadn't even considered them. The Accurate Bombardment rule might be nice. Doesn't have quite as much utility in terms of long-range anti-tank, but would give a serious boost in terms of anti-horde.
I used to play guard and I was never all that good with them so keep that in mind, but it looks to me that you have no long range tank busting ability. A shooty based army could put some hurt on you before you can get into range as most of your weapons (melta/flamer) needs to be up close and personal. A Vendetta or 2 could go a long way to give you ranged power.There's very little that can sit out of range for more than the first turn, really. The Chimeras give the Meltas a lot of range, and the Demolishers can hit out at something 30" from them (24" + 6" move), so again - You can only really dodge for the first turn. The Devil Dogs are probably even better at this, being Fast and armed with Melta Cannons.

The Hydras also do quite a good job of dropping a rather large amount of firepower at a long range. Their 8S7 shots are enough to do damage to some of the flimsier long-range shooters (Eldar Grav-Tanks, Valks/Vends etc.).

Generally, I've avoided the Vendetta out of a... *ahem*, vendetta. They're everywhere! :p It wouldn't be too hard to swap my Devil Dogs out for Vendettas, so if necessary I could try that. I'm not sure it would gain all that much range though, at the end of the day.